Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By liamkenz Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:34 am
Hi,

So i just bought the MPC 500 and for some freaking reason i can't get the thing to play back on beat... for instance, using a kick to start the beat (1...2..3...4...)

I used the metronome and everything, the TC is off, and even when it's on (using the quantizing method), it's still off beat from bar 2.04 to 1.01... WHAT DO I DO AHHHHHHH, please help :worthy:
By inflict3 Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am
Set your quantize to 1/8 that should pull your playing more on beat.. are you using one shot samples?? Turn your quantize on and to 1/8 and report back.
By NearTao Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 pm
Also... make sure your samples are trimmed properly. If you're doing it by hear it's super easy to think that your kick is at the start of the sample but in fact it is starting late.

I'm assuming you don't have this problem, but a lot of folks complaining about the timing of the MPC 500 don't realize that they need to trim their samples better.
By Lampdog Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:42 pm
NearTao wrote:Also... make sure your samples are trimmed properly. If you're doing it by hear it's super easy to think that your kick is at the start of the sample but in fact it is starting late.

THIS is one of the things I LOVED about my ASR10. All ear, the inconsistencies gave my beats more personality.
By SFTRAXx Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:51 pm
Lampdog wrote:
THIS is one of the things I LOVED about my ASR10. All ear, the inconsistencies gave my beats more personality.

Hell yea! This is 1 of the main reasons why i love older gear. It brings you back to making music with your ears, not your eyes. 8)
By Lampdog Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:28 pm
liamkenz wrote:it's still off beat

It takes some getting used to and practice. Hardly anyone gets it right the very first go 'round.
TC OFF will be ALL YOU and YOUR human timing. It will humble you REAL QUICK, lol. TC to 1/16 is a good starting point but by all means move the TC around to see where it takes you and your vision.