Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By chester17 Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 am
I recently bought a used mpc500 off a guy and it worked perfectly fine while he was showing me it worked and later after i took it home but the next day it started running really slow and would take about ten minutes to load samples, after that it stopped loading the samples at all, when i got to the file part of the load program menu there would be nothing there. I've updated the os to the current version and ive changed the cf card and so far the mpc seems to be running faster but it still won't load samples. Another problem i've run into is that the machine wont factory reset, when i turn the machine on while holding erase it just goes to the erase menu. It has the standard ram card right now but im not sure if getting a new ram card will solve my problems.
By chester17 Sun May 19, 2019 10:57 pm
Ill-Green wrote:What size CF card are you using?

What RAM are you using?

Im using an 8 gb cf card and the standard ram that the machine came with
By DjDiskmachine Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 am
chester17 wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:What size CF card are you using?

What RAM are you using?

Im using an 8 gb cf card and the standard ram that the machine came with

The MPC500 is a 32bit system, therefore it doesn't support storage greater than 4Gb.
Either format the card as 4Gb or get a smaller one.
Cheers
By Ill-Green Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 am
DjDiskmachine wrote:
chester17 wrote:Im using an 8 gb cf card and the standard ram that the machine came with

The MPC500 is a 32bit system, therefore it doesn't support storage greater than 4Gb.
Cheers

Word, 8GB is too large. I had a 1GB and it was fast with that. At 4GB, is the maximum without much lag.
By Null Sweat Wed May 29, 2019 3:54 am
Also, make sure your samples are 16-bit, 44.1 kHz wav files. The 500 won't load any thing higher.

DjDiskmachine wrote:The MPC500 is a 32bit system, therefore it doesn't support storage greater than 4Gb.
Cheers

A 32-bit system can only address 4GB of RAM, which is 128MB max on the 500. CF cards are ROM. Two different types of memory.
By DjDiskmachine Wed May 29, 2019 8:33 am
Null Sweat wrote:A 32-bit system can only address 4GB of RAM, which is 128MB max on the 500. CF cards are ROM. Two different types of memory.

You're correct that RAM isn't storage, my bad.
For whatever reason, the max CF capacity of the 500 is 4GB, which is stated in the manual.
Also, I'm pretty sure CF cards are Flash (Compact Flash) not ROM (Read Only Memory)
By Null Sweat Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 pm
Yes, ROM originally referred to IC's that stored bios and firmware data that were read only. The term was also later used for any type of storage media, readable or writable, like floppy disks, hard drives -- CD-ROM drives. When CD and DVD drives first came out for home use they were both read only, but they still called them CD & DVD-ROM drives after they were writable also. I'm not sure why the term didn't change as the devices did. ROM is just storage memory, whereas RAM only stores data while it's in operation. It looses power and it goes blank again. Flash memory is just storage memory that is written all at once, SD cards, usb stick drives, SSD hard drives are all considered Flash memory and solid state, whereas disk drives have moving parts and have to write memory in pieces.