Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Sonar Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:48 am
Hello all,

I am awaiting delivery of a second hand MPC 500 and have a week to test it out.
Can experienced users please recommend checks I can carry out to confirm all is well?

I'll add in any suggestions, may be a good topic to pin as a source of knowledge for others making an MPC 500 purchase in the future.

Physical condition/integrity
General all round condition (paint, dents which may indicate impact/drops).
Display/backlight/contrast
Buttons/dials/sliders
Pads
Rear connections
CF Slot + card
Memory + module
Battery compartment for signs of corrosion damage

I/O Functionality
Record R + L line level sample
Record R +L mic level sample
Headphone output
Stereo outputs
MIDI in
MIDI Out

CF Card
Load sample/programs from PC to CF card and in to MPC memory.
Save sample/programs to CF card from MPC memory and reload + transfer to PC.

RAM Expansion
Insert memory (E.g. max 128MB), ensure it is recognised on start up and no OS "glitches" observed in operation.

OS Firmware
Check current version, upgrade to 1.31 if lower and test functionality afterwards.

Battery Operation
Carry out the functionality checks here on battery power. Audible high pitched "noise" seems to be a common fault.

Functionality
(Hard to detail this being a soon-to-be owner with no prior MPC use, I guess it should cover checks for common things that would point to a fault with the unit (OS, main board, etc.), aside from known OS bugs which are extensively detailed in https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=100258 ?)

Does anyone have a "ready made" program uploaded that could be used to test functionality?

Probably overkill but hopefully a useful checklist to compile to avoid anyone being sold a lemon in the future.
By Weepwow Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:11 am
Hi, my first post (question) here. Yay.
Just bought my first MPC today - MPC 500; should have it in a few days, but there is no AC wall adaptor coming with it.

Which correct adaptor do I need, and where do I get it? Thanks.
By mr_debauch Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 am
Weepwow wrote:Hi, my first post (question) here. Yay.
Just bought my first MPC today - MPC 500; should have it in a few days, but there is no AC wall adaptor coming with it.

12vdc (not vac) 600mA ... most important thing... center negative ( +------C------ - )

check amazon, ebay, or your local electronic shop .. google for a place that sells them online or local. It doesn't need to be "for the mpc 500" ... you can just get one that has the right specs.
By Sonar Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:05 pm
Weepwow wrote:Hi, my first post (question) here. Yay.

Here's the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F86R1A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.
It's just a universal adapter but the output plug polarity can be reversed to make it center negative.