Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Axmeister Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:19 am
I am new to the MPC500 and somewhat a novice with midi. I am trying to get the MPC500 to play drums via an imported .mid (midi) file , to which I have completed successfully. Ive gotten the drum kit sounds from 'Addictive Drums' in my DAW and mapped them roughly the same as in Addictive Drums using MPC Maid. This Kit forms the basis for our drummer (who has left).
I'm writing the drum patterns in my DAW (FL Studio) and export/import them in to the 500 as a sequence , using the .mid extension. The midi file for some reason always defaults to Midi Channel 1 on Track 1 which isnt a problem, but would've preferred to import it anywhere (Track 10) say. Cant seem to do that.... Can it be done? Anyway , I would also like to use the MPC to sequence some musical notation and play my external hardware synth (Roland JU-06a) which I have also managed to do rather crudely by creating a new track in a given sequence (Track 02) and record the midi keystrokes in.
I would have preferred to import another .midi file, but I'm finding that through the MPC500's limitations I cant, because its in effect 'a new sequence'. My only option now seems to be 1) to either record the midi perfomance 'live' on to 'track 02' playing the keys manually. Or 2) Record the 'pre-edited performance' onto 'track 02' from FL Studio.
It all seems fairly do-able, if were not for the fact that every time I create a new Sequence and record to 'Track 02' I have to go and change all the track params "midi channel, track type" etc all over again. Its making the MPC500 a bit faffy.
How can I get around this ??? I'd have tought that once you'd changed the track settings they would be the same for all future tracks in new sequences. I'm using firmware 1.31. Thanks in advance
By Null Sweat Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:42 pm
I'm guessing the imported midi file defaults to sequence 01 every time because it doesn't contain the rest of the data that the MPC uses. There's a few workarounds that you could do with the copy, move, and delete functions found in [MODE+SEQ EDIT], Sequence + Params, and Track + Params. For example, load a midi file on seq 01, change all the settings and copy it to seq 02 (or to multiple sequences). It will retain all the track settings, then you can load the next midi file and go in to MODE+SEQ EDIT and just copy the events (note value, duration, velocity, etc) to the next sequence you need it on. There's a option to merge it with the existing midi data or replace all the notes all together. Just mess around with the options in SEQ EDIT, Sequence params and Track params and you should come up with some ways to speed up your work flow. I don't have much experience sequencing external hardware with a MPC, but I hope this helps with some of the stuff you asked about.