Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By JDSY Wed May 20, 2020 12:22 am
So I want to know if mpc machines can treat a melodic sound like a keygroup in akai rack samplers... I know you can cause a sound to assign to the pads sort of like 12 levels... I want to be able to play polyphonic chords, treating the sample like any other keyboard part. Can an mpc be programmed for this...?
By NearTao Wed May 20, 2020 12:39 am
Yes, but you have to work for it a bit on the MPC 500... assign the same sample over a range of pads... and tune semitones up/down. Generally best results are to record a sample every 6'ish keys/pads.

You'll get some who say for a sample every sample 6 pads to do 2-3 semitones down and 2-3 semitones up, and some will say do the 6 up only... depends how you like the sound... but I don't think you'll find anybody who says to do them all down due to artifacts introduced.
By JDSY Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 am
I know how to change the pitches on each pad... maybe for making multiple different 'synths' I would just have to make a template and then put the sample on each pad. Kind of tiresome probably. I really like sequencing sounds in a rack sampler but I don't know if I want one for the extra size of it.
By inflict3 Sun May 31, 2020 5:13 pm
I’m pretty sure the guy from “very sick beats” on YouTube has a book out on this,.. lemme look for the vid
By inflict3 Sun May 31, 2020 5:23 pm
Here y’all go.