Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By abstrusecarp Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 am
So I picked up this 500 real cheap from a shop in the UK

It came without RAM that wasn't stated, they clearly had no idea about the hardware to be honest.

I have a 128mb stick from a 1000 that I put in and it loaded fine and everything was fine.... until.

If I created a new program lets say for a sample I've loaded then it would cut out my drums or more specifically my snare and replace it with the sample. super janky shit I have no idea what the hell was going on. I've double and triple checked through all the settings and there was nothign to indicate I had changed the pad assignments.

However a workaround for this was just to do it all on one program which isn't ideal but I can still create simple beats which tbh is all the 500 is really capable of.

This is where the glitching starts, I can make a whole beat but every so often the audio starts glitching and clipping each other out and not playing over each other. To overcome this I just restart the machine and it works again for however long it does.

My question is what's causing this, I've ordered some new RAM I thought that might have been the issue so I'm waiting for that to arrive. I've cleaned the contacts on the ram slot as there was some purple looking pen where someone previous had marked it and some other scrawls where the ram would sit on the pcb.

I've seen others have this issue but there doesn't ever seem to be any outcome but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm running off power not batteries with the connector the store gave me so it could be the power source that is bugging it out but I imagine that's unlikely.

Thanks for any help in advance :)
By dryad-66 Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:33 am
Try reloading the OS.Hope you get it going,has some probs with my MPC4000 recently and its a nightmare.Seems to be going fine now.Well after a lot of diagnosing basically taking the whole thing to pieces and testing ect many times.Last problem has been the battery inside.Left it out all night and in the morning fired up no problem so will fit a new one (was hanging on the startup screen) Dunno if you got one in there.So try the OS flash first and then open her up and reconnect all connections.Plus if its having the same problem without the ram Then a new stick wont solve it.
By abstrusecarp Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:45 am
dryad-66 wrote:Try reloading the OS.Hope you get it going,has some probs with my MPC4000 recently and its a nightmare.Seems to be going fine now.Well after a lot of diagnosing basically taking the whole thing to pieces and testing ect many times.Last problem has been the battery inside.Left it out all night and in the morning fired up no problem so will fit a new one (was hanging on the startup screen) Dunno if you got one in there.So try the OS flash first and then open her up and reconnect all connections.Plus if its having the same problem without the ram Then a new stick wont solve it.

Do you know the steps to resinstall the OS? I know I could google it but as you're here I can ask you. Thanks for the help though I'm going to reconnect everything inside too and give it a good clean with some rubbing alcohol in hopes that might do some thing :)
By abstrusecarp Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:23 pm
UPDATE ON THE SITUATION

I Reinstalled the OS and it seems to be working and hasn't caused that glitching audio bug. however it is still early days so I can't say it's fixed but I did just make a whole beat without it freaking out so there's that to take away from this.
By dryad-66 Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:36 pm
abstrusecarp wrote:UPDATE ON THE SITUATION

I Reinstalled the OS and it seems to be working and hasn't caused that glitching audio bug. however it is still early days so I can't say it's fixed but I did just make a whole beat without it freaking out so there's that to take away from this.

GGGGreat.Yeah you never know.....Good luck.