Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Bjorn Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm
How do I record more than one layer/track from novation bass station on the mpc 500? I have tried recording on a different track and changing the midi channel but nothing worked
By NearTao Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:06 pm
It sort of depends on what you are recording... but rough steps are

1) Go to record mode, set name for sample
2) Record the sample that you want
3) Assign recording to a pad... say A1

Repeat steps above, but use a different sample name and set pad to A2, A3... etc

When you go back to your track, you should be able to hit the associated pads and hear different sounds.

From here, it is up to you whether you want all the sounds to trigger from one track, or if you want to play each track as a different sound. This is somewhat stylistic and what you want to do, but if you're planning on using track mutes to build up a song then you'll almost certainly want different sounds on different tracks.

Hope that helps...
By Bjorn Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:16 pm
I'm trying to record it in the midi sequencer as opposed to recording it as a sample and then recording it on to the sequence
By NearTao Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 pm
In that case, you'll want to make a new track for each instrument part... I don't have a bass station though, so cannot tell you how to setup multiple different midi channels on the bass station to get that to work. or if it is possible with the bass station.

EDIT: You'll probably want to investigate if the bass station is multi timbral, and if so how you would send to different midi channels (1-16)... and then set each track on the MPC 500 to send to a different midi channel.
Last edited by NearTao on Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.