Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Lazarillo Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:44 pm
Yes, I have a Kaoss mini. It does everything the sp does. I also thought of the One, but no batteries and all those colored lights... I also have the Studio and use it with MPC software version 2.8, which is more or less a One, but seriously I’m finding the 500 faster and much more inspiring.
By inflict3 Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 am
Dude, the 500 is still dope AF.. use it alongside koala app and the workflow floodgates are lifted. You can even control Koala with midi on android or iOS.. sheets dope as fook yo.....
By human fly Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:43 am
@NearTao
thanks for the blog post. it summarizes quite a few conclusions i'd come to on initial exploration of the MPC500.

just fitted a green LCD instead of the blue, and it's a lot more cheerful and engaging - along with some stick-on 3M pastilles under the pads - cannot yet tell if this makes any difference -? ...

question:
have now managed to clear almost all that was in memory via pre-load/flash samples + programs.
but -without any CF inserted- i'm still offered 2 programs to load: 'Sunny Set', and 'Top Set'. are these standard default programs, or just leftovers i haven't been able to delete?

same thing with a handful of samples: 808 Bass Drum, some percussion samples, some hits ('Melt', 'Brass' etc.)

is it possible to have a completely empty memory?
By human fly Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 am
more n00b questions:

wav file format and naming convention:
so far, i've been chucking wavs onto the CF card - haven't done any sampling with it yet -

but i've had the problem that some files copied over from hard drive folders won't load - aren't seen or reported as wrong type. (may be some crossover confusion by now with the MPX-16, which is fussy as well, so forgive me if i get mixed up)

so it wants 16bit/44.1khz samples, and an 8-character naming convention? what do you do to quick-check individual sounds and -possibly- rename them? things to look out for?
i'd like to be able to sort a bunch of sounds quickly and chuck them across and be sure they all load, without having to go back and re-sort. that's a bit of a flow-killer.
By Ill-Green Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:04 am
You can never delete those songs off the memory the way you doing it. I know what the manual says but it doesn't really permanently deletes them.

Fortunately, there is a way to do just that. Permanently deleting the 500 completely into a blank state. But I think you need those presets first right now before you can dive deep and create your own stuff. Learn the machine with those presets, play with the samples and change their settings, see what happens and keep experimenting.

I find I learn machines quicker by messing around with the presets than just delete everything and create on my own beats. You actually see what the machine does much clearer and I rather mess up a preset than a hot sample of my own :smoker:

However, if you still like to know how to delete everthing permanently, I'd tell you later or search here, its here somewhere.