Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By ConanB Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:40 am
I've had the MOC 500 a few months now. Made multiple beats and projects but I STILL have no idea how the filing system works. It makes NO SENSE.
I cannot find how to load the work I just finished. Between Projects, Programs, All Seq & Songs, it doesn't seem to matter how many times I read the manual or how many YouTube videos I watch.
SO FRUSTRATING

I just want to retrieve the state the MPC was in when I finished working on a piece of music. I've loaded samples, recorded tracks and I want to put the MPC away and be able to start off in exactly the same place when I come back.
So, how do I save that and then find it again? PLEASE!!!!! (crying)
By jmk Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 am
Just save whole project to a separate folder. After you can navigate into this folder and load that project. That's all.
Project is actually something like a snapshot of machine state. Looks like exactly what you need.
By ShengTao Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 pm
Use save type: entire mem.

I feel your frustration. The 500 is not the mpc to learn mpc on. If you learn on a different model first, the 500 starts to make sense. Seriously consider getting an mpc one, or live.
By ConanB Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:22 pm
Thanks for the advice.
I think my main problem is I'm used to a DAW so if I go back into a project and tweak something small, I just hit save and its updated. With the MPC if I load the project and tweak something small it seems like I have to re save the entire memory.
I'm sure I just need to put a bit more effort in to get my head around it. Been too busy lately to spend a solid couple of hours with it. I'll get there.
By Lampdog Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:18 pm
One, Live and X have a 1 button save solution.

But, really, it's not hard to save. There's other things that are way harder. This aint that.
By Menco Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:30 am
Learning how to save properly is a must on the 500. Save well, save often. The 500 likes to crash every now and then.

I make a folder for every beat. Save each seq and pgm manually.
By Lampdog Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:59 pm
Menco wrote:I make a folder for every beat.

A MUST !!
Menco wrote:Save each seq and pgm manually.

Helps when individual files become corrupt or wont load.
Knowing what each file IS can help your understanding of the scheme of what pieces fit where and their individual purpose.