Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Vasilithebig Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 am
Yo, Wanna make request for JJ os for MPC500. Yes, i know its old, yes screen is small, blah blah.

But hear me out. All I want is auto-chop by regions to be added! Thats it, nothing more. Just an auto-chop by regions to 12 pads and you can have my money. Don't think its super hard. Anyone else with me?!
By Vasilithebig Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:20 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:JJ was only able to create a jjos for the mpc1000/2500 as he was the original developer of the Akai OS and hence had the original code. He has no involvement with the mpc500, hence no jjos for the MPC500, ever.

Thanks for clarification. In this case, any way we can track MPC500 OS developers? Anyone with programming skills that can crack and modify it?

I mean, it shouldn't be a rocket science exercise to add auto-chop by regions... :roll:
By Vasilithebig Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:The mpc500 OS developers were akai themselves. There's nothing that can be done unless you can convince Akai to release the source code.

Guess it would be easier to find some ex employee online and ask if they have code and can share it. Don't think AkaiPro will (or even legally can) share this with us...

Will send them a letter and lets see.

But if any ex eployee is reading this, HIT US UP!!! 8)
By drycement Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:32 pm
I doubt it'd happen, but my #1 feature would def be to be able to edit multiple pads' parameters at once. For example, if I have a sampled instrument program that's too hot, and I want to bring down the level / filter / etc. by the same amount for all 48 notes by the same amount, I have to locate each pad and then punch in / wheel in the correct value 48 times! Granted, I've developed a sort of muscle memory to do this but it's very tedious and a huge waste of time.

Next would be MIDI mapping of controls (e.g. assign sample or FX parameters to a knobbier controller), and if possible have an AUDIO-THRU that allowed FX so you could run a synth / etc. while recording + playing on the 500. My old JJOS 2500 machine could do both, and it REALLY increased the value of the FX section. It would also be nice to be able to safe and load Effects Sets outside of an .ALL file, but that's not near as game-changing.

It would also be cool to be able to assign more things to Q-Link and 12 Levels, and to use Q-link for entire programs at once instead of single pads. I remember enjoying being able to Q-link attack for an entire drum program on my 2500, though I'm not sure if that was a JJOS-exclusive feature or not.

Again, I don't really expect this to ever happen, but if any AKAI coder is reading this I will def give you !my $150 (or whatever JJOS 2kxl is going for these days)! It would also honestly do wonders for the value and reputation of these machines.