Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By vectersigma Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:04 pm
Hey everyone,
My first post on MPC-FORUMS so go easy on me :mrgreen:

So my MPC500 decided to die on me recently. It is stuck in a boot/startup loop. When I switch it on it just displays MPC Startup and won't progress further than that. I have been reading through a lot of post and most people seem to be experiencing this when using a RAM stick in the expansion slot. I'm not using the expansion slot. This is happening with the factory 16MB of onboard RAM.
Weirdly if I take out the official Akai 128MB from my MPC1000 which I know works fine, the MPC500 will boot (most of the time) into the RAM test. It will only get as far as 50% of pass 1 of the memory test and then fails.

As mentioned earlier, I've been reading a lot of post and another common issue seems to be incorrect PSU or battery charge level. I have tried a few know working PSUs and brand new branded batteries and have got the same result each time. I have also tried different CF cards, multiple attempts at installing new firmware, cleaning RAM slot pins under a microscope etc and nothing has seemed to make the slightest difference :(

So logically I'm thinking that either or both of the onboard RAM chip(s) have failed.

Firstly, has anyone else experienced a similar problem? If so, did you ever get to the bottom of it and get your 500 working again?
Secondly, has anyone had any success with replacing the RAM chips?

Hoping you guys can help me shed some light on this and hopefully resurrect my own 500 as well as helping others out who have the same issue :)

By Ill-Green Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 am
It could also be bent pins inside the card reader slot. You can carefully bend them back in place, though I read of one attempt and the person broke off a pin accidently and claimed it worked even better than before but would get random glitches from time to time.

I would try to buy a new Expansion RAM 128MB or 254MB and try it with that. The 500 reads its internal RAM from a different circuit than from the external RAM, so most users will install a 128MB RAM to override the internal. That was the usual trick to do. But if its deeper than that, it will need a professional to look at.
By vectersigma Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:24 pm
Thanks for the reply :D
I forgot to mention I'd checked the CF pins. All straight and true.
I mate of mine also has a 500 he's lent me so I'm going to try swapping out some ribbon cables and modules for known working ones.
I'll update the post if and when I actually get to the bottom of this issue
By 知るか Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:13 am
You said you attempted multiple times to reinstall firmware. I'm guessing it wouldn't install. Have you tried resetting it to factory presets as explained in the manual?
By vectersigma Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:42 pm
知るか wrote:You said you attempted multiple times to reinstall firmware. I'm guessing it wouldn't install. Have you tried resetting it to factory presets as explained in the manual?

I have tried to reinstall with no success unfortunately :( I did try factory resetting it and then trying the firmware install but still no success.

I determined to figure this out so will keep you all posted if and when I do.

I can’t let it beat me :lol:
By Ill-Green Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:46 pm
Might want to look underneath the 500, where the battery compartment is, there should be access to the external RAM. If its tilted toward you, then that is another issue. It should be laying flat within the compartment. The two teeth that hold the RAM in place is some real delicate plastic clips; if those are snapped off you can try holding down the RAM with folded tissue or something. Or just take it out and settle with the internal RAM for now.