Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Jezuslookslikeme Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:37 pm
Hi there, I'm not new to the forum 'caus it helped me a lot already, but decided to register now çaus I have a 'problem' I can't get around easily and hope for a better solution.

I use the MPC500 with a Bass Station2 but when I record (midi) from the BS2 to MPC500 (both midi cables connected) It also records/triggers the samples from the MPC500 during the recording (and playback) of the (midi)notes I play(ed) on the BS2. They trigger simultanously. I use an empty track, no sample assigned to this track/pad, set it to MIDI instead of DRUM and choose the right midi channel on both machines. MPC set to master of slave doesn't matter.

Tried all the settings in the midi settings (receive all or a specific, soft trough, etc), program settings on the MPC and BS2. Set track to midi/drum, assign midichannel or not, etc. No luck so far avoiding the problem.

I figured out it has something to do with the note assigment in the program of the MPC500. Of course if I change the note of a pad to a note I'm not playing on the BS2, it doesn't trigger the sample on the MPC. But if I change the note assigment in a existing sequence/program on the MPC to avoid the problem, the sample doesn't play anymore. So that's kind of annoying. And Of course I hope there is a better way.

The main question (padaboom):

How can I record my lines from the BS2 onto the MPC for later playback (or live looping shizzles) without triggering the samples assigned to (other) pads without the hassle of finding 'a' note I'm not gonna touch of the BS2. By the way the pads that have samples on them are set to DRUM and have no midi channel assigment.

I hope this made sense to anyone, because if I solve this I'm back in to MPC500 'Blissness' :worthy:
By Ill-Green Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:05 am
When you say "both cables connected", do you mean two MIDI cables are connected to both devices?

If so, then thats your problem. Only one cable needed. Choose your master and choose your slave. With both cables you got a rebel slave claiming master of the house :mrgreen:
By Jezuslookslikeme Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:57 pm
Thks for the reply.
Yeah I have midi in and out connected to the BS 2/MPC500. Because I want to record sequences using the BS2 onto the MPC real time while looping playback from the mpc to the BS2 without triggering a sample somewhere else in the mpc's program.

This is what happens, I'll try to explain;
If I set Track D1 to be midi (not drum) with channel 1, set the BS 2 to Out on midi channel 1, so I can record what I play to track D1. When the sequence loops what I recorded and set the BS2 to In I can playback what's on D1 (midi). That works fine but....... Say for instance on pad A1 I have a sample with note assigment C# or whatever (usually kick on A1) that kick triggers if I play C# on the BS2. Apparently the triggering is also recorded on track D1 as midi information because the kick (pad A1?) does now also occur when I just playback the sequence from track D1.
Track A1 is set to drum (not midi) and no midi channel assignment. MPC set to master and set to receive midi channel 1 (or ALL). If I try alter the note assignment for pad A1 to avoid the triggering if I use the C# on the BS2, the kick sound doesn't play anymore wich is of course annoying to say the least. This is the best I can explain the problem happening.

I hope there is a setting I've missed. The alternative is I keep plugging and unplugging the midi in or out everytime I want to record the way I do and it can't be a live performance setup for me.