Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By frankdubois43 Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:20 am
yo everyone,
i bought a Mpc 500 a couple of months ago, but i have a big problem with my mpc:
when i transfer a sample on my cf card (Cf card 2gb) using windows and a cf card reader, the sample goes into the card successfully (Sample is a .WAV format and 16bits/44.1 kHz) however, when i load the sample into my mpc
500 with mode -> load -> load: sample -> Snare Drum, i press the PLAY button to preview the sample but there isn’t any sound. the same goes for the metronome, there isn’t any sound, and when i go to trim mode, the screen says: “No samples in memory!!” when i loaded it in the Cf card..
i don’t know what’s going on...
i’ve read the manual numerous times but i don’t find the solution..
can someone help me please?
By Menco Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:29 pm
Did you assign the sample to a pad in a program? The metronome is only audible when in Rec or Overdub mode by default. Hit Rec+Play Start or change it in the Click menu.
By frankdubois43 Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:47 am
Menco wrote:Did you assign the sample to a pad in a program? The metronome is only audible when in Rec or Overdub mode by default. Hit Rec+Play Start or change it in the Click menu.

i think it doesn’t matter if i assign the sample to a pad.
when i press rec+play the metronome starts playing but, again, there isn’t any sound.
By Ill-Green Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:12 am
If I remember correctly, metronome settings are at SHIFT + OTHER. If it's used, the old owner probably had it off for unknown reasons but I do that too, I hate that pig squealing metronome.

On your computer, does the sample play off the CF card? Also could be a compatability issue, I have more success with SanDisk and Toshiba cards. If you can audition the samples on the MPC in Program mode then the next step is to always save, save, save. If you didn't save a sample to a pad then nothing will sound next time you power it up.
By Menco Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:51 pm
If you can hear the metronome then at least you know it’s not an output issue.

Maybe a memory card issue like Ill said. Are you also sure the name of the samples are not longer than 16 characters?
By frankdubois43 Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:55 am
Ill-Green wrote:If I remember correctly, metronome settings are at SHIFT + OTHER. If it's used, the old owner probably had it off for unknown reasons but I do that too, I hate that pig squealing metronome.

On your computer, does the sample play off the CF card? Also could be a compatability issue, I have more success with SanDisk and Toshiba cards. If you can audition the samples on the MPC in Program mode then the next step is to always save, save, save. If you didn't save a sample to a pad then nothing will sound next time you power it up.

do you mean Mode+Other? i checked on mode+other but there isn’t any metronome setting in there. i also checked the settings in “metronome” but nothing changed. the metronome is still silent.
when i press play to preview samples, it doesn’t do any sound either.
By frankdubois43 Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:58 am
Menco wrote:If you can hear the metronome then at least you know it’s not an output issue.

Maybe a memory card issue like Ill said. Are you also sure the name of the samples are not longer than 16 characters?

yes, the samples are named in 4-5 characters. they are not too long.
But, how do i see if it isn’t an audio output issue?
By Menco Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:02 pm
Because you can hear the metronome. The metronome and audio go through the same outputs.
By Menco Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:53 pm
Have you tried recording a sample directly into the MPC? What happens if you do that and save that sample?

Another question, do you have the memory expansion installed?
By frankdubois43 Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:58 pm
Menco wrote:Have you tried recording a sample directly into the MPC? What happens if you do that and save that sample?

Another question, do you have the memory expansion installed?

unfortunately i don’t have the cables to plug directly from turntable to mpc, maybe, if i disassemble the mpc 500, do you know where are the audio outputs? maybe i’ll fix them if they are broken.
yes i have the 128mb memory but i removed it and still the problem is there
By Menco Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:16 pm
Don’t have to sample your TT. Can also be your phone or computer. Anything. Don’t think it’s an output issue. The MPC outputs sounds (metronome), and doesn’t read your files. Think this is really an importing samples issue.
By frankdubois43 Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:42 am
Menco wrote:Don’t have to sample your TT. Can also be your phone or computer. Anything. Don’t think it’s an output issue. The MPC outputs sounds (metronome), and doesn’t read your files. Think this is really an importing samples issue.

if it’s a importing sample issue, what should i do to fix it?
By Menco Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:34 am
Then it’s a faulty CF card, so reformatting it inside the MPC or buying a new one would be an option. Or there is something wrong with the format in which you import the samples. Then rechecking all the things mentioned in the previous posts should solve it.

But again, record something into your MPC first. It might still be something else that causes this.
By frankdubois43 Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:56 pm
Menco wrote:Then it’s a faulty CF card, so reformatting it inside the MPC or buying a new one would be an option. Or there is something wrong with the format in which you import the samples. Then rechecking all the things mentioned in the previous posts should solve it.

But again, record something into your MPC first. It might still be something else that causes this.

ok thank you man for the answers! have a nice day!