Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By RevolutionInTheHead Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:03 pm
Word.

Just got a 500. Sold my '60 so I could pay a couplafew month's rent and, after going thru 4 or 5 samplers in my quest for a bargain bucket replacement over the last month or two, I finally gave in and bought a 500, since it was the only thing in my new budget that could treat samples and sequences like I'm used to. I was always a bit internally snobby about Numark-era MPCs (and 16/44.1 samplers in general, ha ha) but actually I'm loving it and I think it's the 2nd favourite MPC I've owned, lolz. Aaaaaaaanyway...

Trimming samples while the sequence is playing was always one of my workflow things and yet obviously to go in the trim screen the sequence has to be off. I noticed in an old thread about 1.31 wishlist features, one of them was "Ability to use Trim Mode WITHOUT STOPPING sequence playback" (capitals mine)...but does this mean there is already a way to *restart* it once in the trim screen? Or is it just me reading into the wording? I'm assuming there isn't, as pressing play or shift+play doesn't work but I thought I'd ask.

And, related, which OS is best? I've got 1.13 at the mo and I'm aware there's 1.30 and 1.31...but there seem to have been loads of bugs with that, from what I've read on here. So, should I stick with 1.13 or is 1.31 better despite the bugs?
Shame Nukai abandoned it coz with a few easy tweaks to the OS it could be grrrrrrrreat.

Ta in advance.
By NearTao Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:58 am
Haven't had a 500 in a long while, but I recall there being some nice features added to 1.31. I don't really recall hitting any specific issues/bugs with the 500 running 1.31, but these things always tend to have gremlins hiding in a corner or two.
By Menco Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:21 am
I run 1.31, and it’s fairly stable. It’s not less stable than other versions in mu experience. Also in 1.31 it’s not possible to playback the sequence while in trim mode.