Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Schrbth Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:19 pm
Hi there

Just bought a mpc500 and noticed boot is very slow. Also seems like i’m unable to access Save/Load modes. This only happens when the CF card is inserted.

To be clear, the boot itself is not long. But it freezes in the first screen with the caret blinking for about 2-3 minutes.

The unit unfreezes when i eject the card and boots up nice and fast also.
The previous owner told me he formated the card from the internal menu before shipping it to me.

The units firmware is 1.31 with 128 RAM upgrade.

Saw some offtopic discution on another thread about this, but wasnt very concludent only that the CF card gets corrupted easily when plugged in the card reader while the unit is ON… there is a possibility Ive done this on first powerup with the last owners card. :Sigh:

Bought a new card today (8gb Transcend card). Powered up the unit with the card plugged in and the same looong boot happened. Tryied to get to the Format CF card menu but froze once i got to the LOAD mode

Any advice on how i can make this work? :hmmm:
By Ill-Green Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:30 pm
FYI, card should be no bigger than 2 GB, anything bigger will cause slow booting and loading. Second, if the unit works well without a card in it, then it could be missing or broken pins within the card reader of the unit or just an incompatible card. Success I had were with, SanDisk, Kingston and Toshiba using 1 GB cards.

As for the card reader, it may need to be replaced if pins are damaged. MPCstuff.com or ebay sells the part with tutorials to install it on youtube. Never done it but I hear it's straight forward.