Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By thisu Fri May 05, 2023 8:53 pm
heyaaa!, i just switched on my mpc500 today for the first time in like a week. nothing is happening. the led backlight is going blue but nothing else is happening, the buttons dont work the leds in them dont flash, the "MPC500 STARTUP" text doesnt even show up and with headphones on you can very faintly hearing a whining sound going up and down and i just dont know why this is happening!, if someone can help pls do!. :(
By Emilie Tue May 09, 2023 2:24 pm
That doesn't sound good. Here's some things to check. Did you use the correct power supply? Are there batteries in the battery compartment that's leaking? If you have installed the 128mb ram upgrade, try to take it out and see if it will boot. If none of theese work, try to press and hold down the [SHIFT] button on the MPC while, you power the MPC back ON (this will launch the OS Bootloader).
By mkdos Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:47 am
I had the same problem actually and my 500 didn't work for months. I finally took out the batteries, then the RAM, then checked and made sure there wasn't anything that was metal bridging a connection or whatnot on the mobo. Took out the memory card and put the memory card back in then everything else and boom it worked. Another thing is I've noticed is any card over 2GB has issues, including where you have to reflash your OS. Just don't even bother with over 2GB, I got greedy and had to reflash, I have no clue what is happening but I had to. I've seen a lot on this rig and it's not even my main (the 60 is). Generally when people recommend against stuff on the 500 there's a REALLY good reason for it. This is definitely the kind of sampler where you want to monkey with it (that IDE port still calls to me) but you really shouldn't.
By inflict3 Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:48 am
mkdos wrote:I had the same problem actually and my 500 didn't work for months. I finally took out the batteries, then the RAM, then checked and made sure there wasn't anything that was metal bridging a connection or whatnot on the mobo. Took out the memory card and put the memory card back in then everything else and boom it worked. Another thing is I've noticed is any card over 2GB has issues, including where you have to reflash your OS. Just don't even bother with over 2GB, I got greedy and had to reflash, I have no clue what is happening but I had to. I've seen a lot on this rig and it's not even my main (the 60 is). Generally when people recommend against stuff on the 500 there's a REALLY good reason for it. This is definitely the kind of sampler where you want to monkey with it (that IDE port still calls to me) but you really shouldn't.

I’ve got a 32gb in mine and never have a problem, I’ve had my 500 since 2008. Mine gets the weird whine sound when the batteries get hella low, also the blue screen will be on with no start up when they are pretty much dead.