Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By strength Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:53 pm
umhhhh.. yea i saw that too, idk, but pseudo means something to the effect of pretend or fake, so u can interpret it from there. what is the difference between balanced and unbalanced anyway?

By Spirez Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:40 pm
I was under the impression that it didn't make that much difference when using short runs of cable. But over long runs balanced signals wont degrade.

Probably wrong and i'm sure there's a lot more to it but w/e

By Yoshimi Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:50 pm
Spirez wrote:I was under the impression that it didn't make that much difference when using short runs of cable. But over long runs balanced signals wont degrade.

Probably wrong and i'm sure there's a lot more to it but w/e

That's how I have understood it as well.

By glissando Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:11 pm
hi there,

balanced in/outs normaly have 3 wires -cold, hot and ground

if they use a transformer behind the 2 wire input, then you will have a balanced input.

so, these inputs are pseudo balanced. probaly I am wrong.

greetings from germany

ralf

By medullabuzz Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:50 pm
Pseudo-balanced connections can accept both balanced (TRS) cables or unbalanced (TR) cables. If your equipment uses balanced connections, you shouldn't use unbalanced cables.
-10dBv signals and +4dBu signals are dependant upon the piece of gear, not the cable. In other words, your old tape-based ADATs with RCA connections are going to be outputting -10dVb. This is where many people go wrong - they think they can get an RCA-to-1/4 adapter and all will be well, but when they start sending this -10dBv signal to a piece of gear expecting to 'see' line-level +4dBu, or even worse, +4dBu signal to a piece of gear expecting -10dBv, all hell breaks loose!!!

By Remedial Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:04 am
medullabuzz wrote:Pseudo-balanced connections can accept both balanced (TRS) cables or unbalanced (TR) cables. If your equipment uses balanced connections, you shouldn't use unbalanced cables.
-10dBv signals and +4dBu signals are dependant upon the piece of gear, not the cable. In other words, your old tape-based ADATs with RCA connections are going to be outputting -10dVb. This is where many people go wrong - they think they can get an RCA-to-1/4 adapter and all will be well, but when they start sending this -10dBv signal to a piece of gear expecting to 'see' line-level +4dBu, or even worse, +4dBu signal to a piece of gear expecting -10dBv, all hell breaks loose!!!

Great info right here.

By RealWorldDealings Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:27 am
Remedial wrote:
medullabuzz wrote:Pseudo-balanced connections can accept both balanced (TRS) cables or unbalanced (TR) cables. If your equipment uses balanced connections, you shouldn't use unbalanced cables.

Great info right here.
any links where more of that can be looked at???