Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:23 pm
actuel wrote:
plus you've just been hit with Yoshimi/Jsrockit's mpc500 parade or was it a float...he rallies all of the net. this is typical with all his new purchases. the boy is excited...there will be pictures soon, i promise :lol:

Yeah, great...just diss me because I actually like the thing but don't diis those who really are making stupid comments about the machine....without any context of how it actually works. Sure, I'm a bit of a gear whore... but I do know what I am talking about for the most part. I guess I should just be jaded like the rest of the internet folks and never buy anything unless someone cool tells me to buy it. What have I done to people to have them attack me?

By Antonym Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:19 pm
as far as i have read yoshimi is just reviewing the 500, not doing anything nefarious. i think there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the lines.

that being said, i for one am so unused to nongraphic editing.

my advice to people is to avoid DISCARDing if you plan to take tracks from your 500 to your 1000/2500 so you can clean em up there.

By Jacpot Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:13 pm
Yoshimi wrote:
actuel wrote:
plus you've just been hit with Yoshimi/Jsrockit's mpc500 parade or was it a float...he rallies all of the net. this is typical with all his new purchases. the boy is excited...there will be pictures soon, i promise :lol:

Yeah, great...just diss me because I actually like the thing but don't diis those who really are making stupid comments about the machine....without any context of how it actually works. Sure, I'm a bit of a gear whore... but I do know what I am talking about for the most part. I guess I should just be jaded like the rest of the internet folks and never buy anything unless someone cool tells me to buy it. What have I done to people to have them attack me?

you still cool wit me... Your from JerZ

By actuel Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:54 pm
Yoshimi wrote:
actuel wrote:

yo Yosh/JS...i'm not dissing you. i may have jibbed at your excitement and your gear lusty ways but i'm merely clownin around. i'm not trying to attack you nor throw punches.

btw, the Guitar Center in Indy got a few in, so i stopped by to check it. fck its kinda cute! i never thought i'd describe an mpc as 'cute' but its really quite nice. i messed with if for about 20 minutes. here's my quick thoughts...

1. the compactness is really quite nice
2. the pads are identical to the mpc1k in size but 'feel' not as stiff (good thing imo)
3. trimming samples is a breeze...different but really easy.
4. a lot more menu'ing about for sure
5. getting around and assigning things is kinda a pain. it may be easy with time but even w/ a lot of mpc's under my belt i thought it was tedious.
6. the lack of mixer really sucks imo. not having access to volumes, track info etc es no bueno.
7. its pretty dope all in all (...minus the price)

i should add, that i haven't read the manual and only had a minute to play with it...i'm sure folks will enjoy it. the size is actually really great.

peace
actuel

By RealWorldDealings Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:12 pm
Yoshimi wrote:Bad news... sample editing, as many have guessed...is like the Yamaha SU10. You have two sets of numbers...one represents the beginning and one represents the end... the make the first number bigger to truncate the beginning of the sample and make the second number smaller to truncate the end of the sample. .

whats so bad about using your EARS to make music rather than your EYES????

By Jacpot Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:43 pm
No Mixer :shock:

By Antonym Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:42 pm
RealWorldDealings wrote:whats so bad about using your EARS to make music rather than your EYES????

i hear this all the time, and i never understand/agree with the logic behind it.

do you look at your mpc when you make music? do you look at a piano when you play it? etc etc etc etc

when it comes to making chops/selections, it is hands down better to be able to use your eyes to read the wave form than to use your ears. you will be more accurate with your eyes than you will with your ears, particularly due to the ability to zoom in.

you cannot zoom in with your ears. you can get pretty close, but 10 times out of 10 a guy who can make visual selections will have more accurate chops than someone who only uses his ears.

By actuel Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:51 pm
Antonym wrote:you cannot zoom in with your ears. you can get pretty close, but 10 times out of 10 a guy who can make visual selections will have more accurate chops than someone who only uses his ears.

[sarcasm] oh yeah classic 80's thru early 90's hiphop would have been so much better with wave form editing...come'on kid!

this is a weak argument. if you like wave form editing fine but many, many classic hiphop and other kinds of music didn't have your precious visual helper. i admit its handy but not necessary!

now go ahead chop that up...im listening :lol:
By INA Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:55 pm
What exactly does "no mixer" mean?

By Antonym Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:12 pm
dude you missed the point, intentionally or non. it doesn't say very much about your reading skills. i didn't say the music would be better. i said selections would be more accurate. absolutely nobody can argue with that. with visual editing, you have the ability to select faster and more accurately than you do with your ears, case closed.

By Jacpot Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm
Antonym wrote:dude you missed the point, intentionally or non. it doesn't say very much about your reading skills. i didn't say the music would be better. i said selections would be more accurate. absolutely nobody can argue with that. with visual editing, you have the ability to select faster and more accurately than you do with your ears, case closed.

I swear I dont know what u talking about sometimes Nym..
Why would you not want to you's your ears as apposed to your eyes to chop :!:
You asked if piano players looked at the keys.... Hell no they dont look at the keys...
do this cover your ears and try to chop only looking at the wave form...

Now cover your eyes and chop with your ears :idea:
which one works better :?:
Ears right??
Especially when chopping loops that seem to be perfect loops but are not, like jazz and most instruments

I swear you dont think before you type NYM...
You suck :!: :wink:

different strokes for different folks

By Science Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:43 am
wow :shock: jac the ripper strikes again

By Jacpot Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:47 am
Science wrote:wow :shock: jac the ripper strikes again

This n!gga be saying some stupid shyt sometimes trying to sound smart :!:

You see that thread he started when he said autochromatic was stupid?? :shock: I was just shaking my head :!:

By Yoshimi Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:44 am
RealWorldDealings wrote:
whats so bad about using your EARS to make music rather than your EYES????

Nothing...but to me...using two senses (sight and sound) is better than just one.