Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Yoshimi Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:12 pm
Bad news... sample editing, as many have guessed...is like the Yamaha SU10. You have two sets of numbers...one represents the beginning and one represents the end... the make the first number bigger to truncate the beginning of the sample and make the second number smaller to truncate the end of the sample. It isn't hard...but it is more annoying than a visual waveform that is for damn sure. Luckily, I do all of my sample editing in my computer. Outside of editing, the screen info isn't that bad. Same old effects.

Good news... you can still stack multiple samples on each pad... so 4 different kicks on one pad etc. Still has time stretch and reverse functions.

By seatown350 Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:04 am
looks easy to use , jus the screen is an issue .... i pretty much read the whole thing not as different jus differnt layout and stuff .... its a good machine , but i'll say it like other people too overpriced !

By pt3r Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:44 am
ON PAPER and I repeat ON PAPER it looks like a sweet little beastie with loads of functionality. But then again I'll wait until prices drop and OS's seem to be stable and pads not too flimsy. I really don't mind it has no graphical editing, none of the samplers I started on had waveform editing, nor does my 404 and quite frankly I don't miss it for a second.

By BDRAKE Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:01 am
pt3r wrote:ON PAPER and I repeat ON PAPER it looks like a sweet little beastie with loads of functionality. But then again I'll wait until prices drop and OS's seem to be stable and pads not too flimsy. I really don't mind it has no graphical editing, none of the samplers I started on had waveform editing, nor does my 404 and quite frankly I don't miss it for a second.

I agree but when you read the description they are really trying to pass this off as just portable but same power "only small in physical size" is the dope up, which is why they put that price tag on which sucks.....read between the lines on how they try to convince you of its worth...........

Akai Professional's MPC500 is the first truly portable all-in-one Music Production Center. Affording artists the ability to sample and create music on-the-go, the MPC500 offers many of the same features users have grown to love in the MPC line. From rock solid sequencing and programming to expandable memory and storage options, the MPC500 is only small in physical size. Compatible with other MPC products, the MPC500 extends users' studios to fit in with their mobile lifestyles.

......$799 I think not. Ni&&a Please.

By alpha80 Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:40 am
^That price is looking less believable by the minute.

Sh!t will be $599 quick :)

Thanks Yosh

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:10 am
I believe it will be reduced in price as well. However, what people fail to remember is that whenever you miniturize something...it adds to the cost...that is generally speaking. Think about tiny laptops... they have less specs than a normal laptop...but cost alot more.

By Lampdog Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:01 pm
Yoshimi wrote:Bad news... sample editing, as many have guessed...is like the Yamaha SU10..

It's ONLY bad news to people who are raised on graphic editing and have never had to deal with text, numerical editing. It's not BAD news and stop indirectly trying to brain wash people with your summing up of it's capabilities.

It's NOT bad.

Some of the cats on this forum grew up with older equipment, so it's NOT even an issue if they were to get an MPC500.

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:22 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Yoshimi wrote:Bad news... sample editing, as many have guessed...is like the Yamaha SU10..

It's ONLY bad news to people who are raised on graphic editing and have never had to deal with text, numerical editing. It's not BAD news and stop indirectly trying to brain wash people with your summing up of it's capabilities.

It's NOT bad.

Some of the cats on this forum grew up with older equipment, so it's NOT even an issue if they were to get an MPC500.

Relax. I have used older machines...andd I have no problem with it. I am just saying it is worse than graphic editing... it is 2006 so... Anyway, I bought f-ing machine...so how am I trying to brainwash people? ...I actually like it. WTF is your problem?

By Lampdog Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:58 pm
I have no problem, it's you saying it's bad, it isn't.

That is going to stick on some people's head and influence their buying/choice. But you don't realize that do you?

Relax? :? Did I type accidentally type all caps or something for you to assume I'm not relaxed?

Older gear, I'm happy for you. :?

By actuel Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Lampdog wrote:I have no problem, it's you saying it's bad, it isn't.

That is going to stick on some people's head and influence their buying/choice. But you don't realize that do you?

Relax? :? Did I type accidentally type all caps or something for you to assume I'm not relaxed?

no worries Lamp, i agree. i have no interest in buying the mpc500 right now at this price point but don't see the lack of graphic editing a 'bad' thing either. in fact it looks quite capable. while a graphic editor is handy, my favorite mpc is still the linn designed machines, namely mpc60.

plus you've just been hit with Yoshimi/Jsrockit's mpc500 parade or was it a float...he rallies all of the net. this is typical with all his new purchases. the boy is excited...there will be pictures soon, i promise :lol:

By Jacpot Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:25 pm
my xpro had number editing...
use your ears!
works great

By Lampdog Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:44 pm
use your ears!
works great

Right.

plus you've just been hit with Yoshimi/Jsrockit's mpc500 parade or was it a float...he rallies all of the net. this is typical with all his new purchases. the boy is excited...there will be pictures soon, i promise

I understand man, no worries at all.

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:20 pm
Lampdog wrote:I have no problem, it's you saying it's bad, it isn't.

What have I done to you form you to attack me? I am just letting someone know the facts. If someone makes their decisions off of my opinions...which I'm sure most do not...then they should realize that I'm just one man expressing an opinion.