Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Antonym Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:51 pm
goddammit you guys are purists sometimes - this seems to just be a case of old timers talking about kids and their newfangled gagdetry - off topic to the thread, as well.

nobody is arguing that music made w/ a something with a waveform is better than music made with an old sampler. this isn't an attack on your precious samplers, either, just the plain and simple fact that your ears don't have a zoom button. neither does an (insert name of sampler).

at a point, ears cannot judge the difference between some milliseconds worth of time. this is neglible, seeing as how the audience will not be able to tell as well. so why is it a commandment to you people that someone must use their ears ALONE when making selections?

By alpha80 Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:15 pm
Prediction.....

...48 part mixer added in 3rd OS update. :D
Q-Link Volume, EQ, and panning supported numerically 0-127

Top 16 character LCD line:

Track #, Numerical value of L/R,-/+, etc...

Bottom 16 character LCD line:
VOL_PN_LO_MID_HI

Very easy w/ Cursor, Q-Link, & Data wheel. :idea:

By Upright Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:33 pm
^I'm feeling you.

By Lampdog Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:17 am
Antonym wrote:at a point, ears cannot judge the difference between some milliseconds worth of time. this is neglible, seeing as how the audience will not be able to tell as well. so why is it a commandment to you people that someone must use their ears ALONE when making selections?

5ms-7ms is indistiguishable to most human ears.
I believe eyes and ears should be used, but so many people are harping on graphic wave editing and it seems like they are forgetting that they also have ears, unless they are handicapped and can't hear well, that's a different issue though.
Last edited by Lampdog on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Jenre Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:49 am
Could you fit a mixer on that screen?

By J.Daniels Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:06 am
people rely way too much on their sight. i believe that if you dont rely on vision, you will have a hightened sense of sound, which will ultimately benefit your production moreso...

By Upright Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:20 pm
J.Daniels wrote:people rely way too much on their sight. i believe that if you dont rely on vision, you will have a hightened sense of sound, which will ultimately benefit your production moreso...

agreed.

By sparq Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:28 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Antonym wrote:
true, but i don't think you'll be able to use this machine nym...the no visual aid...i mean without that "accuracy" of seeing you'll be handicapped right? Wink

get real man

Dang, how many people are forgetting about their ears? WTF?
ears....? what's that? you mean i shouldn't use my eyes when making music? damn, what am going to do now? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

By trupro Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:40 pm
Wait so, set me strait on this one:
When you say, "No Mixer section, but use your ears"
Do you mean that you CAN change the volume?
Are there numbers for volume instead of the mixer?
Remember that 'velocity' is different from 'volume'.
Just clarify for me Im confused about tha 500.

By Yoshimi Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:56 pm
trupro wrote:Wait so, set me strait on this one:
When you say, "No Mixer section, but use your ears"
Do you mean that you CAN change the volume?
Are there numbers for volume instead of the mixer?
Remember that 'velocity' is different from 'volume'.
Just clarify for me Im confused about tha 500.

There's just no graphical mixer...so no virtual knobs that look like a mixer on the screen...but you change the velocity, volume, pan, etc for each sample and each pad...

By trupro Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:23 pm
So it has 'levels' like in the 2000/XL, or numbers, for actual 'volume'?

By actuel Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:03 pm
trupro wrote:So it has 'levels' like in the 2000/XL, or numbers, for actual 'volume'?

what i gathered while at GC was there is no mixer screen. there's no mixer window, no dedicated mass mixer screen etc. as Yoshimi said, you can adjust per sample via velocity controls or velocity per track.

this is the first mpc to not come with the mpc 'standard' mixer. as its been already covered, this isn't a show stopper nor does it mean you have no control. it does mean you'll be making volume adjustments per pad/sample, or track. which isn't a bad thing, just different.

By Lampdog Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:21 am
Yoshimi wrote:There's just no graphical mixer...so no virtual knobs that look like a mixer on the screen...but you change the velocity, volume, pan, etc for each sample and each pad...

That's how it's done on the ASR10.

By engineer Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:22 am
J.Daniels wrote:people rely way too much on their sight. i believe that if you dont rely on vision, you will have a hightened sense of sound

good luck finding the pads.