Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

ByErgg Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:48 pm
Antonym wrote:my advice-

email your bug reports to them DAILY

This might work... but I guess it could also make them ignore us completely after a few days.

I would like to send one well written (snail mail) message.

Snerg

By Antonym Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:10 pm
but I guess it could also make them ignore us completely after a few days.

further proving akai's absolutely miserable customer service

ByErgg Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:39 pm
@Antonym

Please post your specs like in my first post and specify which bugs you encountered.

Snerg

ByErgg Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:00 pm
I've had it!

I just tried a different CF card like Akai support suggested, now I can't load the test project I saved earlier today.

Would some of you please be so kind to load my projects and see if they cause problems on your MPC500's too!

I the zip contains 3 projects and a description of the problems:

- One with the flanging problem
- One that wont load the project (but the program/sequences/samples do load?)
- One that causes a "SYSTEM ERROR !!"

http://bialek.nl/mpc500-errors.zip

Snerg:

PS: I'm sending mails to thomann.de where I bought my MPC and to Akai, I want my money back. I'm out.
Last edited by Ergg on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ByJamon Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:01 pm
Specs are good but what you really need are steps to reproduce it.
When you release software, and there are hundreds of people emailing you saying, "there's bugs there's bugs... fix it!". They can't! They tested it before release, and found none, so they have no idea how to fix yours until they know exactly, step-by-step on what specific configurations how to reproduce it.

I just haven't had time, so I opted to simply stop making music. But what you need to do is start debugging... start with empty card, reset OS, and write down each step, and when you hit a bug, post the steps. Someone can repeat your steps on their setup, and if they hit it too, you have a dead solid bug you can tell Akai about, and I guarantee they'll fix it.

ByErgg Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:02 pm
Read my post above yours! And test my files!

Snerg

ByJamon Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:16 pm
snerg wrote:I've had it!

Would some of you please be so kind to load my projects and see if they cause problems on your MPC500's too!

Yep, all three reproduced. Good work. Ship that to akai.
We're missing one for the Load error where it crashes on the ALL SEQ & SAMPLES

ByErgg Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:09 pm
Anyone else care to test my project files?

Are there any MPC500 users who don't experience any problems with their MPC500? Please share your setups too!

Snerg

By T-Style Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:21 am
Snerg:

Which OS are you using? have you tried using other OS? I don't know if it may be an OS issue.

ByErgg Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 am
I am/was using 1.13, I actually found a bug in 1.12 which I notified Akai of, so they released 1.13. (There is a thread about it on here somewhere.)

I've thought about this today on my way to work, I could downgrade to version 1.0 or something... but somehow I doubt it will work.

But I can try, I would really like to have working MPC500 rather dan my money back!

Snerg

PS: @T-Style: If you own a MPC500, do you have any of these problems? Please post your specs like I did in my first post!

By T-Style Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:45 am
Right now i do have some problems with the 500. But I try to work around it. I am also new to music production, so I don't know if it is my fault or this MPC is playing up - I'm still learning. Later on if I can't work around it and I have given up, then I will put on the boxing gloves and start swinging @ AKAI.

ByErgg Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:36 pm
Akai replied to my email and download my example projects, they are looking into it...

I've found there are 2 more things we should look into:

- Do the problems only occur when working on batteries?
- Did they occur in the previous O.S. version 1.12?

I saw all 3 people who posted they have experienced all the bugs use O.S. version 1.13!

Personaly I work on batteries most of the time, and my MPC crashed less often when I just got it (older O.S.) and I was working mains power mostly.

Snerg

ByErgg Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:51 pm
So I decided to give it another try... using O.S 1.13 and working on mains power!

I removed my 128MB RAM, used only samples that came on the original 128MB CF card and saved on that 128MB CF card....

I created a drum pattern 3 sequences with 2 programs. I saved as a project "My Project".

I created another sequence, It was nice and groovy! Saved again as "My Project2"

I created a fith sequence, I loaded another program from the Akai library. I had actual fun with my MPC500!. Saved again as "My Project3".

I noticed that the last track I recorded on sequence 5 was not playing!

So I check the other sequences, all of a sudden both my recordings are mixed on sequence 4 ?!?!?!?

So now I try loading "My Project3" and get "CPU Addr (read) PC(884afa96)"

I uploaded the new project files to my website: http://bialek.nl/mpc500-another-crash.zip

Ahhhhhhrrrrgggg!

Snerg

By lovesign Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:55 pm
snerg wrote:So I decided to give it another try... using O.S 1.13 and working on mains power!

I removed my 128MB RAM, used only samples that came on the original 128MB CF card and saved on that 128MB CF card....

I created a drum pattern 3 sequences with 2 programs. I saved as a project "My Project".

I created another sequence, It was nice and groovy! Saved again as "My Project2"

I created a fith sequence, I loaded another program from the Akai library. I had actual fun with my MPC500!. Saved again as "My Project3".

I noticed that the last track I recorded on sequence 5 was not playing!

So I check the other sequences, all of a sudden both my recordings are mixed on sequence 4 ?!?!?!?

So now I try loading "My Project3" and get "CPU Addr (read) PC(884afa96)"

I uploaded the new project files to my website: http://bialek.nl/mpc500-another-crash.zip

Ahhhhhhrrrrgggg!

Snerg

Error replicated here.

My Spec:

O.S Version : 1.13
New/used : New (Pre-Production)
Owned since : August 2006
Memory amount : 16MB
Memory type : On-board
CF card(s) : Akai, factory 128MB
Crashed when opening project: Yes
"CPU Addr (read)" crash when loading project : Yes