Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
ByErgg Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 pm
Dear everyone!

I'm fed up with my MPC500 crashing and being buggy, so I would like to start a thread so we can collect data about the problems with our MPC's.

Maybe this way we wil find out what is causing our problems, but at least we will have something serious to send to Akai for them to chew on!

I suggest we post these specs:

Model: MPC500
O.S Version: 1.13
New/used: New
Batteries/Adapter: I work on batteries most of the time

Owned since: May 2007
Memory amount: 128MB
Memory type: Official Akai (MUTEC)
CF card(s): Sandisk 2GB Extreme III
Crashed after step edit ("System Error"): Yes
Crashed when saving to new folder: Yes
Corrupted CF card after saving: Yes
Metronome when auditioning samples: Yes
Strange flanging sound: Yes
"CPU Addr (read)" crash when loading project: Yes

Please add your specs and add new bugs to the list!

Snerg

PS: Please note the crashes above don't happen everytime, "Yes" means I encountered the problem on my MPC500.
Last edited by Ergg on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By lazenbleep Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:30 pm
add OS as a field

By damien907 Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:03 am
os version 1.0

i dont remember what i did, but after it happened whenever i turned it on it said system error unless the memory card wasnt in it when i turned it on.

it did that until i deleted everything on the card and started a new beat.

i think i mightve done something like purge samples.

By Dubness Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:11 am
I now have my 3rd MPC500 as I have had nothing but problems with it.

This is a serious bug and has been the same on all 3 MPC500's that I have tried so far - when I use the MOVE function in STEP EDIT. I get "SYSTEM ERROR!" and I loose my sequences. All sequences in memory show as "unused".

I'm using OS version 1.3 and only factory hardware - no extra RAM or CF.

I'm now testing with only the factory sounds and the problem is the same.

A bit more detail - when you move one event, it moves OK, move another and it might be OK, move a 3rd or 4th event and "SYSTEM ERROR!".

Has no-one else seen this? I'm on my 3rd unit so I can't be the only one!

By Dubness Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:21 am
By the way Serg:

Good on you for trying to get organised and push Akai into doing something about these problems!

I have seen ALL of those proiblems that you mentioned plus the one I posted above.

Have you dealt directly with AKAI before? Whenever I contact their support they are most unhelpful. They just say, re-install the OS and format your CF card and that kind of trite thing which I've obviously done 10 times already!

How do you intend to get a propper response from them?

By Glyph Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:46 pm
You can count me in. My specs are the same as you just posted. You could just copy and paste :) What other info will you need.
By Dubness Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:21 pm
O.S Version : 1.13
New/used : New
Owned since : June 2007
Memory amount : 16MB
Memory type : On-board
CF card(s) : Akai, factory 128MB
Crashed after step edit ("System Error") : Yes
Crashed when saving to new folder : Yes
Corrupted CF card after saving : Yes
Metronome when auditioning samples : Yes
Strange flanging sound : Yes
"CPU Addr (read)" crash when loading project : Yes

By Glyph Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:59 pm
Model : MPC500
Owned since : June 2007
Memory amount : 128MB
Memory type : Official Akai (MUTEC)
CF card(s) : Sandisk 1GB (model SDCFB-1024) non extreme.

Akai is getting ridiculous.

My story with Akai is that I had a MPC 2000 and gave it away to my then partner and replaced it with the 2000xl. I then sold the 2000xl to get the MPC 4000. This is when it was firt released I can't tell you how bad that machine was when it just arrived on the market. So I returned it to the store for my full refund. Funny thing is that they sort of expected it to come back. (They had plenty of these returned back then) I went strictly the software route and declined the 2500 because I still had a bad taste in my mouth regarding 4000. (Keep in mind I never had a real problem with the 2000xl so I missed it.)

So when I hear a portable MPC I read the forum and purchase Lithium's. I also pick up a used 1000 with JJ OS for tracking purposes. Now I know all of these MPC's can have the same features. (case in point the MTC Sync on the 1000) Akai is just not giving them to you. They are holding back the sofware. The hardware difference should be enough these guy's don't need to hold back the software.

Even though I need another sequencer like I need a hole in my head. If they don't add features and fix these bugs. I will sell both the 1000 and the 500 as well as my Padkontrol :lol: ) and pick up a MV8800. If I sell used thats just another item Akai won't sell new. (Akai's lost) and another
customer will at least not get screwed while paying the full price for the screwing. (Customers gain sort of.) Akai what happened to you ??/???

Where is your pride ?????

By Glyph Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:00 pm
double post.

ByErgg Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 am
Dubness wrote:By the way Serg:

Good on you for trying to get organised and push Akai into doing something about these problems!

How do you intend to get a propper response from them?

Yes, this is what we need to do!

I'm tired of getting lame responses to my emails, when I've spent hours to find out why and when a problem in their product occurs. Akai can't seem to realise that there are serious problems with their product.

I would like to present them a list with all our setups and prove to them they are selling a crappy product and that there are users out there who are not getting what they paid for.

If they won't do anything about it, I think we should take appropiate action. We have the right to demand a product that does what its supposed to.

Snerg

PS: Everyone please post your setup and specify which problems you've encountered with your MPC500.

By Dubness Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:46 am
Let's get a few more replies to this thread from others then call AKAI in the US.

ByErgg Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:04 am
I just saved a test project to see if saving on another type of CF card would crash my MPC too.

I found after saving and loading the project again that not all my samples were saved to CF card! :evil:

I think I know why, one of the samples had a realy long name (wich was given to it on PC) it loaded fine, but it seems it didn't save to CF card as well as all the samples that were after that point in the MPC500's memory.

The result is a useless project, this is so dissapointing Akai...

Snerg

Re:

By oraziodelcore Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:17 am
Owned since : December 2006
Memory amount : 128MB
Memory type : On-board + EXM128
CF card(s) : Akai, factory 128MB

By earwolf Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:05 am
Sorry - I'm not a 500 owner but would just like to say i am NOT buying one until these showstopper bugs are confirmed fixed.

Akai is simply taking everyone for a ride of late, what a terrible way to run a company.

By Antonym Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:08 am
my advice-

email your bug reports to them DAILY

include a link to this thread

no joke, guys - daily. as many people as you can.

fking deluge, yo.