Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

ByErgg Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:07 am
Since I received a new unit from thomann.de I thought I'll post my specs again.

Model: MPC500
O.S Version: 1.11 (My new unit came with this version, so I'm testing this version before I update)
New/used: New
Batteries/Adapter: I work on batteries most of the time

Owned since: May 2007
Memory amount: 128MB
Memory type: Official Akai (MUTEC) (My memory was replaced too)
CF card(s): Sandisk 2GB Extreme III, Original 128MB Akai

So far I encountered these bugs with my new unit:
Metronome when auditioning samples: Yes
Strange flanging sound: Yes
So far I haven't had any serious crashes like I did with my previous unit, but it still needs more testing...

I would like to add a new field:
I use a (PC/Mac): Mac

Please keep posting you specs! (Even if you have no problems with your MPC500 at all, post your setup)

Snerg

By T-Style Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:05 am
@Snerg:

Good stuff, keep us posted with the "new" 500.
The flanging noise, have you thought about the battery might be the one causing this?

T

ByJamon Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:13 pm
Found a new bug. I exported some wavs from discoDSP HighLife, and made a program using BlueBox. When I try and load a sample, it previews fine, but it doesn't load: Unknown File Format !!

Trying to load them from the program fails too, but get this, if I load the folder, all the samples load fine as well as the program!

By earwolf Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:55 pm
Jamon wrote:Found a new bug. I exported some wavs from discoDSP HighLife, and made a program using BlueBox. When I try and load a sample, it previews fine, but it doesn't load: Unknown File Format !!

Trying to load them from the program fails too, but get this, if I load the folder, all the samples load fine as well as the program!

does that still happen if they are 8.3 filename format?

ByJamon Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:53 pm
Yep, renamed to "shrtz_C4.wav", tried to Load Sample, it says Unknown File Format !! but it loaded it.

By Dubness Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:02 pm
I got so sick of losing my work all the time I took the unit back to the shop and got a full refund.

Akai would have a really good bit of kit here - if it did what they promised. Good luck if you're struggling on with it.

ByJamon Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:17 pm
I encounter a new bug everyday it seems. Lots are nothing big, just oddities like being trapped in a screen, a menu item not displaying until I exit out and go back in, or samples getting caught in some long loop repeating itself when saving. But all these things, combined with the big problems makes the experience crap.

snerg what's the verdict? Did they fix the hardware or what?

By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:22 pm
I would add the Song Mode bug, which I am getting in both 1.2 and 1.3. When using 'Insert Before' in song mode the 'repeats' for step 1 get set to 0 and this is not editable, hence the song is rendered useless (it loops step 1 infinitely).

I've had one person confirm this - anyone else? Do the following:

Create a new song
Add two steps, with repeat 1 for each
'Insert Before' step 2 (any sequence)
Check the repeats for step 1 - is this now zero?

By Emilie Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:15 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:I would add the Song Mode bug, which I am getting in both 1.2 and 1.3. When using 'Insert Before' in song mode the 'repeats' for step 1 get set to 0 and this is not editable, hence the song is rendered useless (it loops step 1 infinitely).

I've had one person confirm this - anyone else? Do the following:

Create a new song
Add two steps, with repeat 1 for each
'Insert Before' step 2 (any sequence)
Check the repeats for step 1 - is this now zero?

I can confirm this!

ByJamon Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 pm
I'm writing a song, and just found this song mode insert befor bug too. The temporary fix is to insert before step 1, make it the same as the original step 1, then delete step 2 (the one stuck at 0).

By encode Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:37 pm
Model : MPC500
O.S Version : 1.13
New/used : New
Batteries/Adapter : Adapter

Owned since : October 2007
Memory amount : 16MB (Built-in)
CF card(s) : SanDisk 2GB Extreme III
Crashed after step edit ("System Error") : No
Crashed when saving to new folder : Never Tried
Corrupted CF card after saving : No
Metronome when auditioning samples : Yes
Strange flanging sound : No
"CPU Addr (read)" crash when loading project : No
Self-played pads: Yes (When I'm hitting pads, sometimes, other pads just also start playing - but I never push them)

:roll:

By ppen Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:10 pm
i made a topic about this, but maybe i should put it here also.

i'm chopping one long sample into many pieces. when i'm trying to extract 10th or 11th piece, my mpc freezes totally. all i can do is turn the power off. i've tried this with couple of samples (also retried same project after first crash).

so please try this, if you have same problem this should be quite clear case.
By shocks Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:26 pm
when I transfer wav files from my computer to the mpc500 sometimes it says unknown file format even though i can play the wav files fine on my computer.
whats the problem?
By earwolf Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:45 pm
shocks wrote:when I transfer wav files from my computer to the mpc500 sometimes it says unknown file format even though i can play the wav files fine on my computer.
whats the problem?

post the filename and the properties (use sound forge audacity etc) of the wav

By shocks Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:09 am
ah i figured it out.
it wont accept 32 bit samples.
what about 24 bit?