MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By b-righteous Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:11 am
This coincides with a few other reports of the quantize timing being off after updating. Does OS 2.0 add sloppy timing/sync?
By 4dahaterz Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:17 am
Yeah... this is officially a problem... We (me and my partner at 3 different studios with 2 different MPC 5000's) had that problem last night in the studio... I got around it by starting my MPC back at the top of the song when I got ready to track out, but if I didnt, the MPC would get off
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:51 pm
'Clear' Loading Bug?

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but loading anything with 'clear' doesn't seem to do anything?

MODE & PAD 3 (DISK)
F1 (LOAD)
Hard disk
Find a folder to load
Hit DO IT (F6)
'Load: PROGRAMS, SAMPLES, ALL FILES'
Hit CLEAR (i.e. I want to wipe all memory before loading this folder)
Hit DO IT (F4)

I'm then just taken back to the initial 'Load a Folder' screen and nothing got loaded. The only way to load a folder that wipes internal memory first is if that folder contains a project file - but even then, CLEAR doesn't work, you have to select DO IT (F5) on the first 'Load a Folder' screen.

Also doesn't work with 'clear' program loading. CF card loading not working either.
By 4dahaterz Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:43 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:'Clear' Loading Bug?

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but loading anything with 'clear' doesn't seem to do anything?

I Think mine is working properly, I do this everyday when I load up(since I dont use Autoload), that way I can get rid of anything... and even after other songs....

Ill have to check again to make sure though, but I think mine is working fine
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:15 pm
Okay, I just reverted back to OS 1.02 and noticed the same problem. So I re-installed V2.

Select a folder and hit DO IT.
Press CLEAR
You'll get the 'caution' screen
Press DO IT - this SHOULD be the end of it - it should load the folder and wipe existing files. It doesn't.
Instead I'm taken back to the previous (Load a Folder) screen - as before, there is a CLEAR button - it;s as if my request for CLEAR was ignored.
Pressing CLEAR again just sends me back to the CAUTION page once more - and so a loop begins.

However, it would seem that somewhere in the background, the MPC5000 knows I pressed CLEAR at some point. So, upon returning to the original 'Load a Folder' page, if I press DO IT rather than CLEAR, this time it does indeed perform a CLEAR load.

So - if you load a folder and just press DO IT straight away, no replacing or wiping is done (which is correct)

If you press CLEAR, DO IT - this doesn't work, but press DO IT once more and it will perform a CLEAR load. This is incorrect, as the CLEAR load should follow the DO IT on the caution page.

I don't think many people would notice this, because I think most people would be loading a folder with a project file inside which will clear memory regardless.

My head is spinning.

I don't care whether it's a bug or something wrong with my machine, as it has a workaround - but I need to know for the sake of the ebook I'm writing for the MPC5000, just to warn people if it is a known bug.
By 4dahaterz Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:11 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
I don't think many people would notice this, because I think most people would be loading a folder with a project file inside which will clear memory regardless.

Yep... thats why.. i have to try it your exact way too... cause the file I am loading does have the Project File in it
By Askia Shaheed Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:15 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Okay, I just reverted back to OS 1.02 and noticed the same problem. So I re-installed V2.

Select a folder and hit DO IT.
Press CLEAR
You'll get the 'caution' screen
Press DO IT - this SHOULD be the end of it - it should load the folder and wipe existing files. It doesn't.
Instead I'm taken back to the previous (Load a Folder) screen - as before, there is a CLEAR button - it;s as if my request for CLEAR was ignored.
Pressing CLEAR again just sends me back to the CAUTION page once more - and so a loop begins.

However, it would seem that somewhere in the background, the MPC5000 knows I pressed CLEAR at some point. So, upon returning to the original 'Load a Folder' page, if I press DO IT rather than CLEAR, this time it does indeed perform a CLEAR load.

So - if you load a folder and just press DO IT straight away, no replacing or wiping is done (which is correct)

If you press CLEAR, DO IT - this doesn't work, but press DO IT once more and it will perform a CLEAR load. This is incorrect, as the CLEAR load should follow the DO IT on the caution page.

My head is spinning.

I don't care whether it's a bug or something wrong with my machine, as it has a workaround - but I need to know for the sake of the ebook I'm writing for the MPC5000, just to warn people if it is a known bug.

1. Select a folder (that contains programs/samples only) and press F6 [Do It] to open 'Load a Folder' window
2. Press F2 [Clear]
3. This opens 'Caution' window
4. Press F4 [Do It]

This will clear all the programs and samples in memory and return you to the 'Load a Folder' window. You will then have to press F5 [Do It] to start loading the folder.

:idea: Bug report/Feature request: Pressing F4 [Do it] in 'Caution' window should clear memory (programs/samples) and automatically start loading a program
By zuckwheat Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:00 pm
I'm not getting this quantize issue. Is it a problem syncing with Pro Fools or is it just pre 2.0 sequences not playing back correctly in 2.0. Details please. This kinda worries me cause I have alot of pre 2.0 sequences, but am not seeing the problem.
By 4dahaterz Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:23 pm
zuckwheat wrote:I'm not getting this quantize issue. Is it a problem syncing with Pro Fools or is it just pre 2.0 sequences not playing back correctly in 2.0. Details please. This kinda worries me cause I have alot of pre 2.0 sequences, but am not seeing the problem.

Whats up Zuckwheat, its actually going on making new sequences, when you MIDI Sync, if I start Tracking out like 16 or 17 bars worth of maybe 20 tracks(keyboards and Samples), it throws off every now and then when you hit play in Pro Tools. After I had experienced the same issue, later that night, i was at another studio, and my partner was experiencing the same thing with his MPC and PT. I tried to ignore the fact, cause usually i think its something that i did, but when i hear it twice, then i know its an issue
By b-righteous Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 pm
So you noticed this when the MPC was slaved to Pro Tools? If the MPC was a slave, it could be Pro Tools or your midi interface drifting.

Does anyone notice this running the 5k stand alone? Does the problem occur while the MPC is the master? Does anyone notice the timing getting off when the MPC is slaved to any other device or DAW?
By zuckwheat Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:48 pm
Hmm, but it doesn't happen on 1.02? Are you using Midi Time Code or Midi Clock? If you're using Time Code they will be off for a few measures before locking. Can anyone confirm this happens on any other program besides PT?
By 4dahaterz Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:14 pm
b-righteous wrote:So you noticed this when the MPC was slaved to Pro Tools? If the MPC was a slave, it could be Pro Tools or your midi interface drifting.

Does anyone notice this running the 5k stand alone? Does the problem occur while the MPC is the master? Does anyone notice the timing getting off when the MPC is slaved to any other device or DAW?

This has never happened in my 2000XL running PT 8 and PT 7.4, and this is going on in PT 8 and PT 7.4.... its obvious about whats the culprit... This is stated above in previous post on this thread

zuckwheat wrote:Hmm, but it doesn't happen on 1.02? Are you using Midi Time Code or Midi Clock? If you're using Time Code they will be off for a few measures before locking. Can anyone confirm this happens on any other program besides PT?

MIDI Clock... partner tried it on his Sonar system as well, and got the same results