MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Askia Shaheed Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:24 am
zuckwheat wrote:?Why don't you just import the .mid file from the 5000 into Pro Fools? (Even HD audio tacks) Then there is no need for syncing and you can do any automation in your DAW. I don't understand why everyone is so enamored with syncing things together. If you're using programs on the 5000 set it up as a multi timbral module.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:41 am
AWW_NAWW wrote:wow tutor, you're more active here than you ever were in the 4000 forum :?

That's because I've never owned an MPC4000 :)
By zuckwheat Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:42 pm
This MIDI clock thing could be a song position pointer issue? Have you tried MTC? That uses a greater timing resolution. Remember the tempos have to be set the same in PT and on the mpc.
By scd Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:28 pm
I don't get this problem. I have done extensive testing on the sync department and I was actually amazed (and still am) by the rocksteady timing of the MPC5000 both as master and slave (though I use it normally as master).

Then again, I only have one setup, being Logic 8 on a Mac with an Emagic AMT8 midi interface in between. Both 5k as slave and master works as expected. No drifting. And I use a lot of (MIDI) tracks in my songs as well.

I really have no clue about this problem.
By 4dahaterz Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:48 pm
zuckwheat wrote:This MIDI clock thing could be a song position pointer issue? Have you tried MTC? That uses a greater timing resolution. Remember the tempos have to be set the same in PT and on the mpc.

My MPC 2000XL is syncing great with Pro Tools right now(same ole OS 1.20).... MPC 5000 OS 2.0 is drifting on a few tracks while im tracking out with MIDI Beat Clock(when soloing different tracks, but its off from the sounds that are already recorded, and no its not Latency). Thats my particular issue, and what others have noticed that I have the 5000

What i dont get is, it never happened in the other 2 OS's, all of a sudden its very obvious

I tried to ignore it at first(cause I thought i wasnt doing something right), but people on here started commenting about it, and a friend of mine was tracking out while i was at his spot and he asked me if i had the same issue.
By scd Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm
4dahaterz wrote:
zuckwheat wrote:This MIDI clock thing could be a song position pointer issue? Have you tried MTC? That uses a greater timing resolution. Remember the tempos have to be set the same in PT and on the mpc.

My MPC 2000XL is syncing great with Pro Tools right now(same ole OS 1.20).... MPC 5000 OS 2.0 is drifting on a few tracks while im tracking out with MIDI Beat Clock(when soloing different tracks, but its off from the sounds that are already recorded, and no its not Latency). Thats my particular issue, and what others have noticed that I have the 5000

What i dont get is, it never happened in the other 2 OS's, all of a sudden its very obvious

I tried to ignore it at first(cause I thought i wasnt doing something right), but people on here started commenting about it, and a friend of mine was tracking out while i was at his spot and he asked me if i had the same issue.

Yes. I think this needs to be investigated by Akai. It's sounds like a 5k issue, although you *never* know with MIDI clock... :roll:

As far as I can remember there has nothing been changed in the sync department between OS 1 and 2 (which doesn't say all either of course).
By 5000ways Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:10 pm
It has something to do with 2.0. I went back to 1.02 same song same setup no problems tracking.
If it were a Pro Tools problem, it would have to due with a latency ,but drifting is a something completely different.
By markski Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 pm
BxJaze wrote:I'll start. I've noticed that the Trim window is now lagging on my machine. I.E. when i use the sliders or jogwheel to adjust start endpoints, many times (half the time or more) the results of what im doing don't show on the screen until a few seconds later, its not as smooth as it was before with 1.02.

Theres more lag generally, scrolling through lists and even the pad bank buttons sometimes arent instantaneous since the upgrade.
By zzz Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:49 am
A) Filter clicks: When you turn down the lowpass filteron a sample you hear a click at the end of the sample.
B) Track mute mode slow: the track on/off reacts too slow. When you press 4 pads at once, there is a significant delay which is visible, and audible.
By zuckwheat Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Well, I'll ask again...has anyone used MTC? It has a greater resolution. Remember you have to set the tempo the same in the 5000 and your DAW.

Another quesiton....Is it off right from the start or 20 measures down the road does it start to get off. I mean there are lots of scenarios here. Are you using looping samples with edited start or end points, are you using patched phrases, are you looping the beat while it's recording or is it a linear sequence? I did a sequence for 8 minutes with a clave on 1/4 notes of 8 tracks and didn't see any problem. My point is it may not be a sync issue but maybe a sample loop issue.
By 4dahaterz Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 pm
zuckwheat wrote:Well, I'll ask again...has anyone used MTC? It has a greater resolution. Remember you have to set the tempo the same in the 5000 and your DAW.

Another quesiton....Is it off right from the start or 20 measures down the road does it start to get off. I mean there are lots of scenarios here. Are you using looping samples with edited start or end points, are you using patched phrases, are you looping the beat while it's recording or is it a linear sequence? I did a sequence for 8 minutes with a clave on 1/4 notes of 8 tracks and didn't see any problem. My point is it may not be a sync issue but maybe a sample loop issue.

I only record most of the time about 17 or 18 measures to get the 16 measure loop, usually this happens from the top of the recording, or it might even drift as many as 4 bars on down, using samples, undedited on the MPC, or MIDI instruments.
By Askia Shaheed Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 pm
4dahaterz wrote:

I guess it is time for me to jump in the ring...I always love a challenge. But since I don't work this way...can you give me your Pro Tools & MPC 2000 XL settings that syncs "perfectly'.....and give me your Pro Tools & MPC 5000 settings which 'drift'?

If you haven't done so already (I didn't read the thread completely yet), please list the version of Pro Tools you are using, Pro Tools audio/midi interface, and platform (PC or Mac). Thanks. If this is a serious issue, we need to get it to Akai so they can address it.
By 4dahaterz Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:44 pm
Askia Shaheed wrote:I guess it is time for me to jump in the ring...I always love a challenge. But since I don't work this way...can you give me your Pro Tools & MPC 2000 XL settings that syncs "perfectly'.....and give me your Pro Tools & MPC 5000 settings which 'drift'?

If you haven't done so already (I didn't read the thread completely yet), please list the version of Pro Tools you are using, Pro Tools audio/midi interface, and platform (PC or Mac). Thanks. If this is a serious issue, we need to get it to Akai so they can address it.

I can give yall Ten thousand ways and methods of syncing an MPC 4000, 1000, 2000XL, and 2000 Classic, with several different interfaces, and platforms, that are being used amongst cats at different studios... you have the same results, even with Cubase from another user.

the fact remains the same, its not syncing, by the way, these are the basic ways of connection as far as Pro Tools, which i have been using since OS 1.02 in the MPC 5000 along with the other few people i know thats got MPC 5000's around the country to studios i have actually been at and am about to go to this week

this is an issue with Pro Tools Mac and PC.... Le, HD, and M-Powered.... 6.4, 7.4, and 8.... using all in various ways and interfaces

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?nav ... emid=27770

By the way, all the other MPC's are still sycning perfectly with them, even some roland drum machines(to further the test results)