MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Askia Shaheed Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 pm
4dahaterz wrote:
Askia Shaheed wrote:I guess it is time for me to jump in the ring...I always love a challenge. But since I don't work this way...can you give me your Pro Tools & MPC 2000 XL settings that syncs "perfectly'.....and give me your Pro Tools & MPC 5000 settings which 'drift'?

If you haven't done so already (I didn't read the thread completely yet), please list the version of Pro Tools you are using, Pro Tools audio/midi interface, and platform (PC or Mac). Thanks. If this is a serious issue, we need to get it to Akai so they can address it.

I can give yall Ten thousand ways and methods of syncing an MPC 4000, 1000, 2000XL, and 2000 Classic, with several different interfaces, and platforms, that are being used amongst cats at different studios... you have the same results, even with Cubase from another user.

the fact remains the same, its not syncing, by the way, these are the basic ways of connection as far as Pro Tools, which i have been using since OS 1.02 in the MPC 5000 along with the other few people i know thats got MPC 5000's around the country to studios i have actually been at and am about to go to this week

this is an issue with Pro Tools Mac and PC.... Le, HD, and M-Powered.... 6.4, 7.4, and 8.... using all in various ways and interfaces

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?nav ... emid=27770

By the way, all the other MPC's are still sycning perfectly with them, even some roland drum machines(to further the test results)

4dahaterz, thanks for the info.

Now explain the issue to me as if I was a 3 year old (one of my favorite Denzel Washington movie quotes)....what exactly are you trying to do when you sync Pro Tools (or any DAW) with your MPC? Can you provide a detailed step by step to your method of production?
By Askia Shaheed Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 am
So far, I have tested the MPC 5000 (OS2.0) sync'ing with my Fantom G. So far I have no issues doing this but will continue to investigate further before I move onto testing with my DAW.
By b-righteous Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:00 pm
Honestly, it should not matter. If it wil reliably sync to a Fantom with midi clock without drifting then it's not the 5000. When going to DAW you bring the midi interface and DAW's ability to keep sync into the mix. If there was a problem with the MPC clock sync it would be across the board.

The other things to look for are personal settings on the 5k. Also, just because someone reports that it doesn't drift doesn't mean there is no problem. It could be that that persons ability to notice it or is not testing properly. I do think the people who are having issues should test the sync using a keyboard to eliminate the midi interface and DAW as a variable. Also, reverting to the previous OS to see if it goes away. That would confirm it. One person already stated that. If another confirms then it's def OS 2
By Askia Shaheed Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 pm
I am here trying to get to the problem of this issue so we can get it to Akai to fix it. Simply saying that the MPC 'drifts' is not helpful. 100 people in this forum can claim that sync doesn't work. But if no one provides specific details so the programmers can reproduce it, it will not get fixed. So far, no one here has given specifc details. I also suggest reading SCD's "Usage of MIDI on the Akai MPC 5000" : http://www.synthmusic.info/mpdries/MIDIontheMPC5000_OS2.pdf

How to report a bug:

1. List expected results and actual (unexpected) result
2. Provided specific steps to reproduce the problem
3. Outline the fewest steps needed to reproduce the problem
4. Describe any necessary dependencies (e.g. specific hardware or software programs)
5. If possible, post pics of screen shots or upload files for others to test

I am testing it with my keyboard first to take the computer, MIDI interface, audio interface, and software out of the mix. I will test it with my computer later.
By mattb Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:40 am
Think I found a minor bug.

By default in Q-Link mode, if you're setting the Panning on a Synth program, the range for full left to full right seems to be between +0 and +50, compared to -50 and +50 for Sample programs. This means that by default (with -50 and +50 range), full left pan is at 12 oclock on a knob, and full right is at 5 oclock. Between 7 oclock and 12 oclock is all panned hard left, which is a bit strange. Is this a known issue?
By 4dahaterz Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:21 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:I am here trying to get to the problem of this issue so we can get it to Akai to fix it. Simply saying that the MPC 'drifts' is not helpful. 100 people in this forum can claim that sync doesn't work. But if no one provides specific details so the programmers can reproduce it, it will not get fixed. So far, no one here has given specifc details. I also suggest reading SCD's "Usage of MIDI on the Akai MPC 5000" : http://www.synthmusic.info/mpdries/MIDIontheMPC5000_OS2.pdf

How to report a bug:

4. Describe any necessary dependencies (e.g. specific hardware or software programs)

I am testing it with my keyboard first to take the computer, MIDI interface, audio interface, and software out of the mix. I will test it with my computer later.

First off, its being explained in the sync menu above on how to sync the MPC with Pro Tools... A Cubase user has also reported the issue... Not only that, a friend of mine is using a Fantom XR and is having the same problem when doing production sometimes while regularly syncing up as normal to the Fantom XR...

But the basic problem is listed above in regulard Midi Sync while doing the "normal" MPC to Pro Tools Connection above, or again the link listed here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?nav ... emid=27770

Again, im not the only one having the issue, its been stated at least 3 or 4 other times before i really said anything, im just addressing the issue. Again, the problem is listed above, the setting or listed in the link above, this is while using Virtual Instruments and external Instruments, Midi'ed up to a DAW while tracking, and even while producing a track with out MIDI Sync being on in the DAW, with just the MPC connected to a Fantom XR as well...
By Askia Shaheed Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:38 pm
4dahaterz wrote:
Askia Shaheed wrote:I am here trying to get to the problem of this issue so we can get it to Akai to fix it. Simply saying that the MPC 'drifts' is not helpful. 100 people in this forum can claim that sync doesn't work. But if no one provides specific details so the programmers can reproduce it, it will not get fixed. So far, no one here has given specifc details. I also suggest reading SCD's "Usage of MIDI on the Akai MPC 5000" : http://www.synthmusic.info/mpdries/MIDIontheMPC5000_OS2.pdf

How to report a bug:

First off, its being explained in the sync menu above on how to sync the MPC with Pro Tools... A Cubase user has also reported the issue... Not only that, a friend of mine is using a Fantom XR and is having the same problem when doing production sometimes while regularly syncing up as normal to the Fantom XR...

But the basic problem is listed above in regulard Midi Sync while doing the "normal" MPC to Pro Tools Connection above, or again the link listed here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?nav ... emid=27770

Again, im not the only one having the issue, its been stated at least 3 or 4 other times before i really said anything, im just addressing the issue. Again, the problem is listed above, the setting or listed in the link above, this is while using Virtual Instruments and external Instruments, Midi'ed up to a DAW while tracking, and even while producing a track with out MIDI Sync being on in the DAW, with just the MPC connected to a Fantom XR as well...

As I wrote above, you guys are not being very clear and not giving specific details. There may have been 3 or 4 reports of a problem but no one has givern the exact steps to produce their problem...haven't explain exactly what they are trying to do or accomplish. If this is a problem and you want it fixed, you can report it right here in detail as requested...or not. This is not up for debate. If the programmers can't duplicate this issue based upong what is written here...how can they fix it?

If there is a problem with using the Fantom XR with the MPC 5000, that is a completely different issue based upon the reports in this thread. The Fantom XR does not have a sequencer. I have been syncing the 5K with my Fantom G. So far, I haven't found any issues but I am still trying to reproduce the problems reported in this thread.

So again...in one post, please give details of your actual MIDI settings....which virtual instruments and external instruments you are using, your computer, MIDI interface/sound card, etc. Are you actuially recording when the sync issue surfaces or are you just playing back already recorded material? What types of tracks are recorded in your DAW (MIDI or Audio)? Posting another repsonse without a detailed description is just naking this thread longer.
By 4dahaterz Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:22 pm
Askia Shaheed wrote:As I wrote above, you guys are not being very clear and not giving specific details. There may have been 3 or 4 reports of a problem but no one has givern the exact steps to produce their problem...haven't explain exactly what they are trying to do or accomplish. If this is a problem and you want it fixed, you can report it right here in detail as requested...or not. This is not up for debate. If the programmers can't duplicate this issue based upong what is written here...how can they fix it?

If there is a problem with using the Fantom XR with the MPC 5000, that is a completely different issue based upon the reports in this thread. The Fantom XR does not have a sequencer. I have been syncing the 5K with my Fantom G. So far, I haven't found any issues but I am still trying to reproduce the problems reported in this thread.

So again...in one post, please give details of your actual MIDI settings....which virtual instruments and external instruments you are using, your computer, MIDI interface/sound card, etc. Are you actuially recording when the sync issue surfaces or are you just playing back already recorded material? What types of tracks are recorded in your DAW (MIDI or Audio)? Posting another repsonse without a detailed description is just naking this thread longer.

All of that isnt needed if its happening on many different kinds of systems as i have stated above... preferably... i can get around it... im tired of telling you the same stuff that you are asking me over and over, those are the basic and detailed settings that i have... so its what it is... yall cant reproduce it, forget it(maybe someone else that would like to actually go in and take photos and etc can do that, i dont have that type of time, especially now with my schedule and traveling going on), i get paid to produce songs not trouble shoot MPC's or trying to figure out how a error came about in MIDI Sequencing(i can go old school and get around the problem or problems).... on to the next subject

and the thing with the Fantom XR is that its a basic MIDI issue, its not only just the MPC drifting while slaving, but the MPC also loses the timing using the XR when it is the Master, Controlling sounds from the Fantom XR(I Never said that the Fantom was doing the Sequencing, i know the fantom rack doesnt sequence)
By diegoeskryptic Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:04 am
4dahaterz,

i have 4 sound modules, the mpc and reaper as my DAW.

tell me exactly how I should have the midi settings and watever else I need to try to reproduce this bug...
By Askia Shaheed Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:12 am
i dont have that type of time, especially now with my schedule and traveling going on), i get paid to produce songs not trouble shoot MPC's or trying to figure out how a error came about in MIDI Sequencing(i can go old school and get around the problem or problems).... on to the next subject

I can respect that. I won't ask you again to provide specific details you have yet to provide. I will ask the others that encountered this issue when they return.

*The purpose of the bug report thread is to provide detailed information on how to produce any problem users encounter. This way, we can get it to Akai to address in an OS update. Putting all the information in one post is the best way to report a bug. No one has time to sort through a dozen pages to get the details on what may or may not be a bug.
By 4dahaterz Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:23 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:I can respect that. I won't ask you again to provide specific details you have yet to provide. I will ask the others that encountered this issue when they return.

*The purpose of the bug report thread is to provide detailed information on how to produce any problem users encounter. This way, we can get it to Akai to address in an OS update. Putting all the information in one post is the best way to report a bug. No one has time to sort through a dozen pages to get the details on what may or may not be a bug.

Dude. i have said several times that this is happening with several different systems in many ways... there is just no specific ways, this isnt even with just my MPC 5000... i explained in plain day light that its an issue, i havent used my 5000 in about 2 weeks cause i have been travling with my 2000XL, so id have to see when i get back to my studio if it would sync properly since no one else is having the problem again. Tomorrow, i have to make 3 different kinds of tracks, and usually if something doesnt workout, i just discover a work around, I can care less about spending time on here debating with people on how a problem occured, especially if I use the same settings that everyone else is using online which are again since arent clicking the link

For triggering the MPC5000 using MIDI Beat Clock with Pro Tools as the master device:
1) Use a MIDI cable to connect the MIDI OUT of your Digidesign hardware (or M-Audio if using M-Powered) to the MIDI In of your MPC5000.

In the MPC5000:
2) Go to the "MIDI/Sync" menu.
3) Go to the "Sync" menu.
4) Set "Sync In" to the corresponding MIDI input port on the MPC.
5) Set “Mode” to “MIDI Clock”.

In Pro Tools:
6) Set your tempo in Pro Tools. (See instructions at the bottom of this page.)
7) Go to the Setup menu and choose “MIDI Beat Clock”. Check the boxes for "Enable MIDI Beat Clock" and the corresponding MIDI output port.
8) Press play. The MPC should now be playing along with Pro Tools.
NOTE: (Make sure that the value, in the MPC, for bars is NOT set to zero. If it is set to zero, it will not be triggered.)
By Askia Shaheed Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:51 am
Dude, I am not here debating anything. When people claim they have an issue, I take it face value and see if I can reproduce it. I do this during my own personal time to help out the MPC 5000 community.

If there is many ways to produce the problem that is fine. Just give me at least one way to produce the problem in detail.

So...when your MPC 5000 is SLAVED to MIDI Clock and your press play in Pro Tools, does your MPC start playing? Does it play at the same tempo as Pro Tools? What do you expect the MPC to do? And what does it actually do?

PS- Since you cared so much to create this thread, I would assume you would also want people to give as much detailed information as possible.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:25 pm
According to the manual, I can use the Q2 slider to adjust the End point in TRIM, but Q2 is doing nothing for me - not in TRIM, nor in the fine trim page.

Anyone else getting this? I've checked my Q2 slider and it's working in Q-link screen and the synth, so it's not a hardware issue.
By Askia Shaheed Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:08 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:According to the manual, I can use the Q2 slider to adjust the End point in TRIM, but Q2 is doing nothing for me - not in TRIM, nor in the fine trim page.

Anyone else getting this? I've checked my Q2 slider and it's working in Q-link screen and the synth, so it's not a hardware issue.

Q1 and Q2 works for me in both trim and fine trim. However, it you use Q2 and it doesn't respond immediately, move the slider all the way to the top and back down. That should do the trick.