MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Disturbing Behaviour Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 pm
Just wondering if anyone else on here has this problem..

Whenever i try to play a sample that is on note on instead of the one shot it doesn't play in the 1.1 position of the seqeunce the fisrt time the sequence plays and thus when you switch from sequence to sequence it does it to it won't play the first trigger.
It will play it again if u keep it on looping, just not the first trigger on the first run of the loop.
And I get this with the internal seqeuncer as wel as when I run it from live or cubase.

regards
D B
By golfzerosafari Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:26 pm
Disturbing Behaviour wrote:Just wondering if anyone else on here has this problem..

Whenever i try to play a sample that is on note on instead of the one shot it doesn't play in the 1.1 position of the seqeunce the fisrt time the sequence plays and thus when you switch from sequence to sequence it does it to it won't play the first trigger.
It will play it again if u keep it on looping, just not the first trigger on the first run of the loop.
And I get this with the internal seqeuncer as wel as when I run it from live or cubase.

regards
D B

Maybe you have shift back notes in the quantize menu on? I dont have that problem.
By yonibregman Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:18 pm
Is it a bug?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54628289@N06/5057215512/
Link to screen shot of to loops that are the same loop imported from HD by usb to cubase.
its the same filr saved twice to hd
i made two seq of the same drum loop and saved each to HD
i went to recored pressed window and the save as file and do it.

is that the way it should be an i need to do somthing in cubase, or is it a bug ,or may be im doing somthing wrong on my mpc5000

Edit:
if i save to hd the same seq twice timing correct.
if i copy track to diffrent seq and then save two diffrent seq of same loop (original kick loop and one i copyed to next seq) then the timing is a bit off.

help
thnx ahead :)
By otobot Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:51 pm
yonibregman wrote:Is it a bug?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54628289@N06/5057215512/
Link to screen shot of to loops that are the same loop imported from HD by usb to cubase.
its the same filr saved twice to hd
i made two seq of the same drum loop and saved each to HD
i went to recored pressed window and the save as file and do it.

is that the way it should be an i need to do somthing in cubase, or is it a bug ,or may be im doing somthing wrong on my mpc5000

Edit:
if i save to hd the same seq twice timing correct.
if i copy track to diffrent seq and then save two diffrent seq of same loop (original kick loop and one i copyed to next seq) then the timing is a bit off.

help
thnx ahead :)

In one word: MIDI.

Slightly longer answer: MIDI is a serial protocol. I'm not 100 percent sure if MIDI in the MPC is handled this way (contrary to all DAWs which are MIDI accurate inside the box), but what you found out could well be caused by the delay inheritent to physical MIDI.
Severeal MIDI notes that are seemingly at the same postition on the time line are not played exactly at the same time but slightly delayed one after the other. That explains why the bounce of the 2nd copied track is a bit off compared to the original track.
By otobot Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:55 pm
If it turns out to be caused by what I assume the source is, namely MIDI delay between simultaneous events on seperate tracks, then it has nothing to do with the way the track is copied.. it's in MIDI's nature, being a serial protocol.

Then the behaviour is also pretty normal and to be expected. Judging from your cubase screenshot, the slight delay is really not that big. All external gear that is controlled by MIDI is prone to this behaviour too.
Also in this special scenario you copied the same track for testing purposes. Normally you wouldn't do that and each track which you bounce out would be an individual track with it's own specific MIDI "time window".
By yonibregman Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:07 pm
but when i have midi loop in ableton and i resample it few times its never geting of timing like that.
and any way the only way to track out to hd one by one is to copy each track from the song to its own seq , its cant be that i will loose my swing and feel on that process... :(

thnx anyway ... ;)
By otobot Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:24 pm
Maybe you didn't read what I wrote earlier:

(contrary to all DAWs which are MIDI accurate inside the box)

If you have a loop in a DAW like Ableton Live, be it consisting of recorded audio or MIDI events, the events will be handled timing accurate. The implemented MIDI in those sequencers is not like the physical MIDI used by external gear like synthesizers and samplers.

Most likely the loop or portion of a track that you had bounced consisted of triggered samples right? Those were triggered by MIDI events.

Try to bounce a hard disk track in the MPC several times. I think the resulting files will be accurate this time.
By fiddler2007 Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:28 pm
it seems the track mutes in the track mix page don't always work when playing back streaming audio with the sequencer in song mode ....
By daveyP Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 pm
Effects processor wont load?

Anyone know if this is a bug and how to fix it?

This happened after applying four effects to buss 3/4, followed by a horrible buzzing sound and after reset error message was displayed and no sound generates from the unit now?

cheers ears.

daveyP
By orc Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 pm
hello,

what happened to all these bugs...?
i want to bring my unit back if no update will follow!

best - ed
By jay67jay Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 am
Everydody on holidays???
1-in main: track 01 put Type to midi
2-mode grid edit
3-choose a timing correct 1/4 or 1/8....
4-put the same note on each tc (8notes for1/4)
5-save entire memory or save a sequence
6-load the .prj or .mid
7- have a look at the grid edit

Sorry for my english!
By jay67jay Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 am
it's only when you have in grid edit options
auto step increment YES
Recorded note duration TC Value 100%

works with Value 99%
By dazastah Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:36 pm
[quote="jacey714"]Multi-layer samples don't play consistently on the MPC5000...I layer 4 different kick samples on 1 pad and notice the sounds not hitting consistently. Even when I sequence it...I hear the kick sounding different every few hits...Never had this problem with the MPC3000, MPC1000 or MPC4000...or my S5000 sampler...

To try this yourself...layer 4 different kicks (also works on any sound...snares, etc.). Set FULL LEVEL on...Try hitting the pad over and over...and you will hear the kick tone change every few hits...The change is pretty drastic...depending what types of sound you layer...You will definitely notice it when you sequence it...For example try hitting the note every 1/4 note...like a house beat...and listen to it change in tone every few hits...ANNOYING!!! I would literally have to go into Protools and chop and replace every bad hit in the track if I record this thing!!!

I can confirm this too...
Filling up one pad with four samples..(ie four different kick drums samples)
And hitting the pad repeatedly to hear the samples not triggering at exactly the same time. I;d guess at maybe 1.ms difference.