MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By WaterHead Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:11 pm
Since I had some serious problems syncing my MPC5000 to Logic I did some further testing with OS 1.02 and 2.00 today and thought I might let you guys know of the results. I use MIDI Clock. Before anyone asks: Yes, I know that MIDI Time Code is more reliable than MIDI Clock. But there are certain problems when using MIDI Time Code. Here is a list of advantages and disadvantages I have yet encountered:

MIDI Time Code:
+ tight timing
+ will cycle a loop in both the software sequencer and MPC regardless of MPC loop setting
+ will sync from any time ruler position
- tempo and tempo changes have to be set on both sequencers separately
- when jumping back to the beginning of a cycle, the MPC will go out of record/overdub mode
(and I mean, hey, one of the cool things with the MPC is to pile up MIDI sequences in multiple runs)

MIDI Clock
+ tempo and tempo changes are transmitted
+ MPC stays in record/overdub mode when jumping back to the beginning of a cycle
- loop settings have to be set on both machines separately
- slightly less tight timing
- playback has to be started on a quarter note on the time ruler in the software sequencer

I personally think that, other than the slightly worse timing of MIDI Clock, one can work around the other disadvantages. But getting dropped out of record mode while piling up ideas in a loop is a real creativity killer to me.

System used:
Apple Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Mac OS 10.5.8
Logic Pro 9.0.2
MIDI Inferface: MOTU MIDI Express 128 and Ploytec USB-to-MIDI cable

MPC Sync Settings:
Sync In Mode: MIDI CLOCK
Receive MMC: ON

Logic Global Sync Settings :
Send Song Position Pointer: Activated
MMC-Format: Standard

Logic Project Sync Settings:
Send MIDI Clock activated (corresponding MIDI-Port chosen)
Send MMC activated

(descriptions may vary, I am using the German version of Logic)

Test Scenario
For the test I used a drumloop sequence I created in the MPC5000. I used the same Logic project to test with MPC OS 1.02 and OS 2.00. What you will hear in the following audio data is the MPC's sequencer triggering drum sounds of Kore Player in Logic. The sequence was created in the MPC and is fully quantized. I activated Logic's internal click and hit play in Logic starting at the beginning of the project. The signal of Kore Player as well as Logic's internal click was then sent through the S/PDIF-output of my MOTU 2408mk3 and sampled back in the MPC5000 while playing. I used a MOTU MIDI Express 128 and alternatively a relatively cheap USB-to-MIDI solution from Ploytech. The results were the same with both MIDI-Interfaces. Again: I used the same project in the MPC, the same project in Logic, no settings were changed whatsoever. The difference is not a single phenomenon in my case, but can be reproduced EVERY time. I went back and forth between OS 2.00 and OS 1.20 two times, the results were the same. I did initialize the MPC after flashing the OS each time.

Here are the results with OS2 and OS1.02:

Sync Test with OS 2.00
Sync Test with OS 1.02

Results:
You will notice that with OS 2.0 the sync is off the whole time, while with OS 1.02 it just takes a slight moment to catch up and will stay tight.

Personally, I am going back to OS 1.02. Will miss the zoom in chop mode the most … :( If anybody is missing any information about the test setup just let me know.

Since I also have licenses for Cubase 4, Cubase 5 and Ableton Live 8 I might do some more tests on specific request with those sequencers too. I highly doubt this is a issue related to Logic though.

Hint for Logic users
When the MPC is slaved via MIDI Clock, don't click just anywhere in Logic's transport bar to start playbackor the MPC will not sync. Instead use the "," and "." keys (german keyboard layout) to position the play locator. This way you make sure playback starts exactly at a quarter note and the MPC will be in sync. In Cubase playback seems to always start on a quarter note, I didn't see the problem occur there.
By RAGTOPROY Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:27 pm
My biggest gripe is this thing will not show up on my Mac :( I hate PCs so I guess I'm just a$$ed out. Flach card shows up but no HD........almost wishing i had spent this money on rims for my car :(
By J26 Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 pm
MPC 5000 Tap Tempo/Audition Bug

Hi there good ol 5k owners, i had a few crashes and lost some valuable work this week thanks to the following bug:

The 5k freezes when you hit Tap Tempo repeatedly (trying to track down a loop's bpm) while auditioning a sample from the internal HD in the Disk/Load/Listen menu. Steps to be taken:

1. Go to Disk Mode
2. Hit the LOAD button
3. Go to a sample with groove elements on the 5k's internal HD
4.Push and hold the PLAY button, while doing this...tap along the rhythm with Tap Tempo a few bars et voila....it crashes.

The Tap Tempo button keeps on lighting up very nervously and the screen freezes.
By jay67jay Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:14 am
Hi guys,
First, sorry for my english I'm french.
Second, I'll triing to translate a problem we have discovered on a french 5000's forum
When you sync the mpc with an other harware sequencer, we found a variable latency between 80 and 90 ms at 30 bpm and between 20 and 30 at 120 bpm
test realised with SPS1 ,909, EA1......
No solution to solve that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by jay67jay on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By jay67jay Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 am
An other bug: if you use cutoff with Q link and you put cutoff value to 0 (track one for example), when you download an other project( .prj) in which cutoff( q link) is not used, your track is muted because cutoff stay at value 0
By hayoo Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:00 am
simonwild wrote:Beware the 'SAVE ENTIRE MEMORY' function...

i guarantee you doesnt save everything. i know for a fact that it doesnt save mute groups by track and i know it's not saving something in one of my synth tracks because Im not hearing certain subtle notes that i know were there when i saved it....

I can attest to certain notes being lost! My notes aren't missing...instead, they keep getting reset to a duration of 0 -- no length = no sound. I can change the duration back to a proper length in a Step Edit, but whenever I save the "Entire Memory" or "All Sequences & Songs" or "Save Sequence" the duration of the note is reset to 0. The note is on Pad A8 (note 43). It works fine to play and record...it's just that when saved, those notes are, for some reason, zero'd out as described. I have other issues that haven't been addressed in this thread, but I'll get to the end before making any more comments. My MPC is just outta the box, pre-installed with OS2, 192Mb, DVD...

This is a real pain in the ass to have to edit a song every time before you can audition it properly...

hayoo
By hayoo Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:08 am
NguoiDuc wrote:...for example when in grid mode I select a note and press delete the note is not deleted but the cursor jumps to the next step!

I can confirm this -- straight outta the box, this happens. You have to delete a note twice before it's actually gone when Grid Editing any track.
By hayoo Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:43 am
hayoo wrote:
simonwild wrote:Beware the 'SAVE ENTIRE MEMORY' function...

i guarantee you doesnt save everything. i know for a fact that it doesnt save mute groups by track and i know it's not saving something in one of my synth tracks because Im not hearing certain subtle notes that i know were there when i saved it....

I can attest to certain notes being lost! My notes aren't missing...instead, they keep getting reset to a duration of 0 -- no length = no sound. I can change the duration back to a proper length in a Step Edit, but whenever I save the "Entire Memory" or "All Sequences & Songs" or "Save Sequence" the duration of the note is reset to 0. The note is on Pad A8 (note 43). It works fine to play and record...it's just that when saved, those notes are, for some reason, zero'd out as described. I have other issues that haven't been addressed in this thread, but I'll get to the end before making any more comments. My MPC is just outta the box, pre-installed with OS2, 192Mb, DVD...

This is a real pain in the ass to have to edit a song every time before you can audition it properly...

hayoo

Not sure why, but having the duration of the note set to 3840 (a whole note) seems to have been causing the problem. I lessened the notes' duration to 3800 and now, somehow, they're saving with durations intact. Huh.
By psr Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:17 am
RAGTOPROY wrote:My biggest gripe is this thing will not show up on my Mac :( I hate PCs so I guess I'm just a$$ed out. Flach card shows up but no HD........almost wishing i had spent this money on rims for my car :(

sou you connect the usb cable and go to "mode / disc" click mount and nothing happens. What Mac OS. Seems strange mines works on tiger and snowleapard. Try a new cable.
By yonibregman Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:33 am

hayoo

I have the same problem.
i recorded a pad track the notes(three notes choreds all the way) are 2880 long then 960 and its 4 bars.
when i save sequence and then loading it most of the notes are reset to -0- .
i use motif xs for the oad but i dont get that problem with the other motif midi conect sounds that i use for this sequence.
sory for my english :)
By hayoo Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 am
yonibregman wrote:

hayoo

I have the same problem.
i recorded a pad track the notes(three notes choreds all the way) are 2880 long then 960 and its 4 bars.
when i save sequence and then loading it most of the notes are reset to -0- .
i use motif xs for the oad but i dont get that problem with the other motif midi conect sounds that i use for this sequence.
sory for my english :)

This problem persisted for me. I reset the machine, reformatted the drive, re-installed OS2. The only way I stopped getting the error was to save to a CF card instead of the HD.
By hayoo Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:37 am
yonibregman wrote:so what for we have the hd?
i dont have a cf
thnx for the rply

I take that back... I'm now having that same error on file saved on a CF card, too. The song was working fine after many many saves/reloads... then I connected my PC and copied the song. Now I'm getting that error on that song... Tech support at Akai is a lot of circular reiteration.
By ntalec Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 pm
hayoo wrote:
NguoiDuc wrote:...for example when in grid mode I select a note and press delete the note is not deleted but the cursor jumps to the next step!

I can confirm this -- straight outta the box, this happens. You have to delete a note twice before it's actually gone when Grid Editing any track.

Something doesn't sound right. ???
When I'm in GRID Mode I scroll horizontally and vertically to a note and press DELETE and the note is deleted.
Also the cursor stays in the spot where the note was deleted from it doesn't advance.