MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By ritec Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:47 pm
when saving something into a folder with a large amount of samples (over 1,000) the machien can sometimes hang while "previewing view".... this has happened to me around 5 times already and the only solution is to restart the mpc.
By ritec Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:00 am
After Saving several programs in a row, the Machine will sometimes Glitch out freezes for a second and then says "Device not found ??"

has happened to me several times now.
By geckonium Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:54 pm
geckonium wrote:my mpc is slower from 2.0 os
and it stays that way even when I reverted to 1.02

happened to any1 else?

found a solution...
just restored to defaults (on 2.00 OS)

TURN OFF
wait about 10 sec (as in manual)
ERASE + TURN ON
altought i holded both buttons till 50% of loading
but now its same as before but 2.00 OS
By CaptainDXB Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:11 am
ritec wrote:when saving something into a folder with a large amount of samples (over 1,000) the machien can sometimes hang while "previewing view".... this has happened to me around 5 times already and the only solution is to restart the mpc.

Yup I can confirm that. More over some remarks from me:

1) The MPC Database engine seems to have a speed problem. That means: If you have a large amout of samples loaded into the memory the recall / organissation of this sample take a lot (some times to much) CPU time.

As result the following behavior can occour:

- running out of sync while in Slave mode (espacialy with MTC because this needs more CPU Power)
- GUI get unresponsive for a while
- GUI crashs while MIDI controll still works

2) There seems to be an issue with long pathes and filen names in combination of a large amount of samples:

- while saving the complete memory (lets say with 1000 Samples) to disk or CF card and using long filenames / subfolder
may produce the Error "(HD) Name allready exists" The MPC will quit saving data and not the complete memory is dumped.

- Saving the complete memory (lets say with 1000 Samples) to disk or CF card and using long filenames / subfolder
may work but afterward files are corrupted. As result you get a "(VEng) No return from Get Param" if you try to load these files.

3) There seems to be an issue with the "garbage collection" of the MPC (a program running in the back deleting unused temp files).

- under havy load conditions (which can easely ocure if you use to many samples in memory) this process can freeze the GUI. Normaly you can here a lot af HD activitys before and the GUI work slow.

How ever - here some hints to work around.
First of all keep in mind how the MPC organice it's Processing power:

There are two processing branches: a DSP responsable for Audio processing (FX, etc...) which works quite nice and a single CPU responsable for the rest. The rest means: MIDI I/O, GUI, HW I/O, Memory organisation, and some more OS related stuff. This mashine runs threaded processes (lets call it multitasking). How ever, it seems that the syncronisation and/or priorisation of some of these threads isn't implemented that well. For you this meens:

- If you wont to have a stable MIDI Sync avoid anything that consumes much CPU power.
- Don't interact with the GUI to much while the MPC playback ore record something.
- never load to many samples into the memory. What count is the number - not the lenght of the samples.
- use Midi Clock in stead od MTC when ever possible
- disable MIDI soft thrue feature if it is not realy needed
- use data reduction for controller data, to avoid MIDI overload
- don't record to many controll data (havy QLink usage...)
- when doing complex arangements on the MPC mixdown complex MIDI tracks as HD tracks or better as phrase samples
- forget chop shop. Record it in the correct tempo
- if havy sync problems occoure try using the MPC as master for the DAW
- never forget to disable MTC / Clock out at the DAW if you run the DAW run it in slave mode -
otherwise you may skrew up the MPC.
- don't use the MPC as midi router.

best recards
CaptainDXB
By simonwild Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 pm
Beware the 'SAVE ENTIRE MEMORY' function...

i guarantee you doesnt save everything. i know for a fact that it doesnt save mute groups by track and i know it's not saving something in one of my synth tracks because Im not hearing certain subtle notes that i know were there when i saved it.

os 2.0

UPDATE... i also loaded a track tweakd it, added a synth, saved it and then when i powerd up a week later to load that track the synth didn't save.. all the notes were there but the synth program was gone. i reloaded the stock vs tht i used from the ram but of course i lost like two hours of synth tweaks...
By playalong Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:00 am
This may have been mentioned, I looked through the bug posts and did not see it though. Sorry if it was.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if the memory is messed up in my MPC 5000. I do not have the memory expansion installed.

When I go to build up a drum program, eventually sounds will show up and trigger on pads I have not assigned anything to.

If I assign something to this pad, it does not matter... the wrong sound still plays. This seems to happen more often when I use the multi-sound trigger features.... which I love. I'm still not using anywhere close to all of the memory I have available for program sounds. My sample names are not too long either.

This seems to be random on both pads and pad banks. The MPC just grabs one sound from memory and triggers it FOREVER on a pad that should not be playing that sound. Should I ask Akai to replace it? Or is this just a software bug that everybody has?

Also, I noticed when sequencing my moog... Its really easy to overload the MPC with CC events. This makes the units time get really off. The midi clock slows down at loaded areas.... like an NES when there are too many things on the screen. Has anybody had this issue?
By jacey714 Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Multi-layer samples don't play consistently on the MPC5000...I layer 4 different kick samples on 1 pad and notice the sounds not hitting consistently. Even when I sequence it...I hear the kick sounding different every few hits...Never had this problem with the MPC3000, MPC1000 or MPC4000...or my S5000 sampler...

To try this yourself...layer 4 different kicks (also works on any sound...snares, etc.). Set FULL LEVEL on...Try hitting the pad over and over...and you will hear the kick tone change every few hits...The change is pretty drastic...depending what types of sound you layer...You will definitely notice it when you sequence it...For example try hitting the note every 1/4 note...like a house beat...and listen to it change in tone every few hits...ANNOYING!!! I would literally have to go into Protools and chop and replace every bad hit in the track if I record this thing!!!

Also, if on a single sample...try NOTE REPEAT at 1/32 at around 120BPM...with FULL LEVEL on...You will also hear the roll drift on and off...which shouldn't happen...It should sound like a consistent machine gun...

I hope this isn't a fundamental problem with the sound engine design...and something that can be fixed with a new OS or new firmware update...

The main reason for using an MPC is for its airtight sequencing...This sample drift problem can be a deal breaker for anybody using this machine...I can live with minor bugs that are related to operation, etc...but when it has direct affect on the sound...It's definitely a deal breaker...

So far I had few people send me PM regarding this same problem...Can everyone reading this try it out and post the results? I want to find out if this is a problem with a few units or the entire MPC5000 line...LET'S GET DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!!!
By jocks Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:49 pm
Hi everyone!
I'm not sure how many of you are creating your own synth patches from scratch, but here we go: Oscillator 1 & 2 have the option to sync and ring modulate each other. For some reason if any one of them use pwm, the other one is always affected. It creates a glitch in the Osc. not using pwm! So I recommend that you use Osc.3 for triangle/saw/sine waveforms. Perhaps Akai will read this and add it to the to-do-list?... :P
/Jocks
By bigberg3k Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 am
I've personally had it with my 5000 I'm taking it back..tomorrow...Too many errors from too many people, AND YES I AM HAVING SOME OF THE SAME PROBLEMS, WE'RE NOT ALONE... my brother has been owning his 2000XL for at least a decade and it works perfectly.. No bells and whistles, but it does what you want it to do when you want to do it...I strongly believe this mpc5000 v2.0 is a mistake by AKAI now, Didn't want to believe it but now I do. I cant even load samples from a folder correctly without freeze up. Or Slave sync o Cubase without total failure happining. I've had it...
I'll just go back to my Native Instruments Mashine until Akai cpmes out with the next Official MPC.... Good Luck!
I just want A MUSIC PRODUCTION CENTER..
By J.O.BEATS Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 am
MY 5000 DOESNT ALWAYS PLAY BACK EVERY PAD HIT DURING RECORDING. THE SAMPLE PLAYS WHEN A PAD IS TRIGGERED BUT DURING RECORDING IT DOESNT PLAYBACK EVERYTHING THAT WAS "SUPPOSELY" RECORED. SO I HAVE TO RE-RECORD A PATTERN OVER AND OVER BEFORE IT ACTUALLY PLAYS BACK EVERY PAD PLAYED.IS THIS A BUG OR JUST MAYBE BAD SENSORS? THIS HAS HAPPENED EVER SINCE I UPDATED TO 2.0 OS.
By jocks Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:34 pm
hi!
I used the topic search, but couldn't find this anywhere: I can't trigger arpeggio in realtime like on old vintage synths!
there's often a delay before the notes are played :(
I'm creating great analog synth sounds with the internal VA synth, but can't use the arpeggiator with them in realtime.
/jocks
By Tapuno Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 pm
You all are nerds.2000xl for life!
(exits thread slowely)
By NguoiDuc Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:31 pm
The 5000 really has some strange hick-ups going on, like for example when in grid mode I select a note and press delete the note is not deleted but the cursor jumps to the next step! And I noticed that after using it for a while functions stop working or get faulty, like faulty pattern playback or I cannot control a certain parameter with the Q-Links anymore or whatever.

But fortunately, it never frooze on me and made me loose a whole bunch of good ideas!

BTW: What for are you guys loading and saving projects with more than 1,000 samples??? I rarely have more than let's say 30 samples in my memory!