MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By U3 Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:19 pm
seiko wrote:I even did another test, load 30 MB from Harddisk in the MPC...this takes 4.30 min

So if I would have to load 192 MB, this would take 27 minutes !? this can't be true...

Can please please some people just post how long it takes to load up a certain amount of MB so I can see wether my loading times are correct or not

I feel ur pain Seiko.

27 mins to load 192 MB?!?!?!?! WOW.. I hope this isnt true. I wanna buy a 5000 but things like this is putting me off.
PLease guys, do some testing on loading times and report back. So we know its not just Seiko with the problem and hopefully AKAI can fix it up.
By b-righteous Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 pm
oh snap, no more 5000 for u?

For now. I kinda missed my 4k. I'm on the look for a good one unless Akai gives a final update.

The THINK I remember someone saying the HD would load the full RAM around 15 min or something. It would be good for someone to time it.
By 4dahaterz Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:24 pm
yeah... somethings up wit your joint, because mine loads about 165MB's in about 4 or 5 minutes(thats from the HD Though)... although thats still a long time for modern technology

Ill actually try to load it til its full today with a whole folder from a CF Card, and ill let you know somethin
By golfzerosafari Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 am
4dahaterz wrote:yeah... somethings up wit your joint, because mine loads about 165MB's in about 4 or 5 minutes(thats from the HD Though)... although thats still a long time for modern technology

Ill actually try to load it til its full today with a whole folder from a CF Card, and ill let you know somethin

:D
By seiko Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:17 am
4dahaterz wrote:yeah... somethings up wit your joint, because mine loads about 165MB's in about 4 or 5 minutes(thats from the HD Though)... although thats still a long time for modern technology

5 minutes is OK with me
please try with a CF also

thanks a lot for helping me out mr 4dahaterz
By 4dahaterz Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:35 pm
it just took me about 4 or 5 minutes to fill it up from the CF Card... just loaded the Akai Piano, and some extra sounds that i could access flippin thru the MPC CF Card(meaning, they all werent in the same AUTOLOAD Folder)... im about to try it again to make sure

UPDATE!!!
I just did it again, and it took me again around 5 minutes, thats including, turning the dial a couple of times to get to other folders along with loading up the Akai Piano Keygroup... the Piano took right at about 2 minutes and 20 Seconds
By seiko Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 am
thanks a lot
this means that -as far as loading projects/samples etc goes- loading time from Harddisk and CF should be the same (=MPC is bottleneck as HD loads should go muuuuch faster then CF)

after installing the 192 MB, response time when changing from one Program to another is mucht better it seems
By b-righteous Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:09 am
Good that it is not as bad as I thought. 5 minutes is still too slow. My Motif XS6 was released a year before the 5k and I just loaded a 193 MB file in under 1 minute 30 seconds. Especially after Akai hyped up the whole USB 2.0 transfers in the adds and specs. Isn't that false advertising? Some people want the "old school feel" of legacy MPC's but I'm sure this isn't what they had in mind.
By U3 Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:16 pm
b-righteous wrote: Some people want the "old school feel" of legacy MPC's but I'm sure this isn't what they had in mind.

LOL.. yeh im happy too that its not as bad as was described before. But true, in this digital age these machines should be up to it.

Hey Seiko, did you work out WHY ur 5000 was loading like that?? You said the Ram exp helped with programs, did it fix the speed of loading too perhaps?
I think im gonna cop one real soon, i just pray that akai release a new OS for it soon.. :?
By 4dahaterz Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:28 pm
b-righteous wrote: Some people want the "old school feel" of legacy MPC's but I'm sure this isn't what they had in mind.

:lol: This is a real nice @$$ quote about many features, related to the technology of the MPC... the only thing we wanted legacy was the pads and the sound, not the same old processing and memory
By seiko Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 am
my conclusions so far :

[*]loading from HD or CF doesn't make a lot of difference in timings, the MPC is the bottleneck anyway

[*]there is a HUGE difference in loading one file of 100MB or 1000 small files adding up to 100 MB : a lot of files goes a lot slower (saving 1088 files to harddisk took me +1 hour). I have the impression that once you have too many files in a folder , the MPC can't deal with it. I did find out that the same problem exists on MPC2500 where -if a folder contains more then 1024 samples- the processing (saving/loading) goes slow.

[*]when I load 17 Programs with 64 samples each and I scroll from one Program to another, this takes time (0,5 to 2 seconds), the screen freezes up and quite often there is a lag soundwise (= out of sync)...also all other functions are slowing down (example : go to Mixer page, go to Grid etc etc) Seems too much samples in memory slows everything down. Strange as it could theoretically accomodate 99 programs of 64 samples *4 layers = 25344 samples and I 'm only using 1088.

Conclusion : using the MPC as a 'soundbank' full of drumsamples is not really the way to go. Too bad as this is the way I want to use it. (please note that in the end I only load it up with 50 mb of samples !)