MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By jocks Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:47 am
Hi, this has been up here before. Some Functions brought by JJ OS later came in Akai OS for my mpc1k, at the time I had it.
I returned to Akai OS because midi sysex dump didn't work with my Roland D-50 with JJ OS.
Ask the JJ team if they can recode mpc5k OS. I think the last time it was up here, someone claimed that later Akai OS now are more encrypted, and harder to hack. search this forum on the subject.
/jocks
By Lampdog Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:24 pm
It'll never happen.
By Sovereign Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:05 pm
jocks wrote:Ask the JJ team if they can recode mpc5k OS. I think the last time it was up here, someone claimed that later Akai OS now are more encrypted, and harder to hack.
/jocks

JJ didn't hack the code he had the ode because he helped write.
The 1k and 2500 are basically the same machine in 2 variations so they are the only 2 machines he can do.
Can't even begin to write for something lke the 4k or 5k.
By Jauly Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:12 pm
Since JJ does not make an official statement by himself we won't know exactly if it is possible or not, and we also don't know how much he is skilled in decoding or analyzing the OS of the 5000. Remember, without goodwill of AKAI JJOS never could have been sold officially. I don't think it is totally out of "this will never happen".
By -{n8}- Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 am
As a third party vender, JJ still needs there to be a big enough market to make it worth his while. Was the sale of the MPC 5000 as big as the 1000 or 2500? My guess is not. However, an open OS has no consequences and anyone can modify the code to their preference (if they were knowledgeable). Akai should really look into this as a viable alternative if they insist on abandoning customer support.

1-0ne
By Sovereign Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:45 pm
Jauly wrote:Since JJ does not make an official statement by himself we won't know exactly if it is possible or not, and we also don't know how much he is skilled in decoding or analyzing the OS of the 5000. Remember, without goodwill of AKAI JJOS never could have been sold officially. I don't think it is totally out of "this will never happen".

JJ had the 1k code and was part of it from the beginning this is the only reason.
He (they) have the code, they didn't decode or analyze anything.
It wasn't goodwill from Akai, the new Akai never owned the complete rights to the software because of some things that went down with the old Akai JP.
That is the only thing that prevents them from getting a cease and desist against JJ, they can't do it since the 1k (2500) OS is not theirs to control.

JJ has stated many times that He (they) won't be doing OS' for any other MPC besides the 1k and 2500.
By BxJaze Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:47 am
It's like...the more I hear and see this JJ OS on the 25, I'm tempted to just nix my 5000 and cop a 2500 SE.......

am i wrong? somebody lemme know! I truly think a JJOS would take the 5k to the max, but I'm definitely leaning towards the "it'll never happen" theory, unless JJ just really truly makes a random choice to just go ahead with it.
By Biro Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:49 pm
Ten years later, I came to this! :lol:
It could be great to have the source code
By Sense-A Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:44 am
You could possibly take the MPC 5000 and put in the guts of a 2500 and create a frankenstein MPC with JJOS, mpc 2500 mainboard, and add some rotaries and sliders and assign them to midi cc and tap the midi in.

plus you'd only be able to get the pixel dimensions of the large screen upgrade jjos designed the 128 pixel version for.