MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By kasper615 Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 pm
What's up everyone? I have an issue with the note repeat on the MPC5000...

I am working with some hi hats for a beat and everything is cool, except when I use the note repeat on 1/64. Here's what's going on...

The beat is 71bpm and when I use the note repeat on 1/32 it's great. This is what it sounds like...

Awesome, but then when I hit some hi hats on 1/64 it sounds like sh*t, like so...

And this is what it sounds like together, when I go from 1/32 to 1/64

HOWEVER, let's say I double the bpm from 71 to 142, and hit the note repeat at 1/32 (which would be the equivalent to hitting 1/64 at 71bpm), it sounds like I want it to sound....

I COULD make the beat on 142, but I shouldn't have to. I checked the T.C. parameters, swing at 50%, strength 100, window 100. I played with them to see if it fixed it...nothing. Changed the polyphonic parameter between POLY/MONO, didn't fix it. I even tried different hi hats, but it affects all samples the same. It does the same thing regardless what BPM I set the track to.

Here are what the waveforms look like in my DAW. The top track is the note repeat 1/64 at 71bpm (bad) and the bottom is 1/32 at 142bpm (good). You will see what I am talking about with the top track. They should both line up PERFECTLY with each other, but the top track has some sort of swing or shuffle to it, which it should not with 50% swing.

Does anyone have a clue to what may be the problem? I checked around the internet on different forums and nobody seems to be having this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
By Clint Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm
Welcome to the forums.

You havent stated which OS your machine is running, but I suggest the first thing you do is check whether your 1/64 note repeat issue is a known bug.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110625

MPC5000 OS is known to have quite a few 'issues'.

You may just have to find a workaround, or just live with it...
By CoinOP! Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:22 am
I'll try it on my unit later.

What it could be, just gessing here: After research it appeared that the 5000 doesn't utilize the full resolution of 960ppq on higher or lower bpm settings which may cause this bug.

Again! Just guessing....
By Dan L Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:18 am
It's too late right now but I'll try and recreate this tomorrow.
This may sound like a stupid question but you are sure there are no other settings you are forgetting to change? That top one almost looks like its trying to do like a triplet or something.
I'll post my results tomorrow.
By kasper615 Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:24 pm
If I am missing a setting I sure don't know which one it would be. I believe I've checked just about everything. What has me stumped is all of the other T.C. settings work perfectly, even 1/64(3).
By Clint Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 pm
kasper615 wrote:

HOWEVER, let's say I double the bpm from 71 to 142, and hit the note repeat at 1/32 (which would be the equivalent to hitting 1/64 at 71bpm), it sounds like I want it to sound....

No point beating your head against a wall, if you have a workaround. Others can't reproduce the 'bug' so it may simply be an issue unique to your machine.