MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By MPC-Tutor Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 pm
Heavie wrote:Congress should pass a law stateing Electronic Manufactures should allow the firmware or os software to be open source if:

1) The product is discontinue from sales for a period of 1yr without support or they longer release updates after 2yrs of a previous update....

This is unlikely because manufacturers would argue that the trade secrets in their code are used in future products and would give unfair advantage to their competitors.

These bugs and missing features are Sales of Goods Act issues - if a product does not confirm to spec, it can be returned for a refund. Software, hardware - it makes no difference. Sale of Goods Act varies by country, but the general essence is the same. However you normally need to act quick, i.e. within a few weeks - i.e. the inspection period.

A manufacturer cannot be forced to release source code just because they are shit at customer service, it will never happen. Consumers will however deal with them in the most commonly historical fashion - they stop buying their products. There's no greater motivator to a company to fix bugs and customer service than finding no one buys their stuff any more.
By Modrogomusic Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am
I believe there focus now is on new mpc line, ren,studio, fly. I must say, I dont regret buying ren as new sp1200 ring mode is nice to have and once again, the flexabilitie and workflow is key, no workflow, the harder it is to finish projects etc... I still have a hardware mpc though,(5k). I think Akai should make one last hardware mpc, call it 6k or something and have a touch screen color display, stability and feel as 3k(maybe even get roger lynn on it, if possible) and also have a ssd and a os that sort of works like linux where you can host vst etc.. sampler would have three bit rates 12,16,24 and three sample rate options, 11,22,44khz wishful thinking, keep features as 5k but perfect bugs. maybe use a secound 7200rpm for data, ssd would be for os, ram could be flash sort of like motif xf only we can get a bit more like 20 gb or at least 5gb. I know, get ready to dig in those pockets, but it would be a dream machine, speak up folks, who knows
By manji Mon May 06, 2013 1:22 pm
Almost everything I would change (except the synth) would essentially just be a reworking of software, and is thusly real (except the VST thing)

If we were really reaching for the stars, I'd want a visual reworking of the OS. That big, beautiful screen is so under used its a shame. The Main screen has like zero information on the right half of the screen. Looking at JJOSXL128 shows what is actually possible on these screens. Even on a regular screen, look what he manages to do on the Main page, the one you'll be looking at allllllll day. You can assign pads, shows that sequences grid edit, assign FX and QLinks and basic mixing...from one single screen. You know, those button pushing sequences that we can all do in our sleep because eeeeeeverytime we want to change something, its 6 buttons away.

THATS the kind of workflow that would turn this thing into an absolute beast. I don't thinkk Akai needs to rip JJ off, but if you look at the 128 OS, it takes such CLEAR direction from the 5k graphically, its just so, so, so much more intelligently implemented.

I feel like Akai is too worried about going for that "classic" mpc feel. And thats all fine and good, but not to the point of hampering the development of products.

Whoever mentioned a linux like enviroment (even if it was closed) that could host vsts, even if it was just libraries, would be absolutely killer. An MPC, a keyboard and a recorder would literally be all you need. One of the major problems I at least am finding when looking for libraries is that most people making akai libraries anymore are a-holes on ebay and thats it. I have an s2800 here that can read multiple formats, akai, roland, I think one other. My z8 is close to the same. Yet my mpc5k and 1k can't share programs? It's that kind "haha, gotcha!" crap that makes these things not sell. Denying access to modern libraries in a sampler is absolutely garbage. A bunch of dudes sitting around chopping up records is great, but thats been the functionality for coming up on 30 damn years now. Roland and Akai have been DIRECT competitors long before Native Instruments or Massive came along, and they both realized that both companies benefit from being able to read each others software.

To be honest...I don't see why hardware samplers are dying and software isn't. I can't download an mpc, but I can sure go get every Kontakt Library ever...yet they're still making money. Goes to show that people still want samplers, they still the real deal...but only when that real deal can use modern libraries. I think something like the Ren is a decent step with computer integration (which I could care less about, but good for markets), but to completely gut the thing in the name of that is retarded. Why couldn't it be both? Wheres Aksys? One of my big points on buying a Roland Integra 7 was that if I reeeeally want to, I can just edit it on that big, beautiful, 22" 1080p computer screen. Same with my z8, and yet, when I want to, I can just make music with them without the computer. For gods sake, same with my DPS24. I mean, look at Access and like minded companies, they're killllllling it in hardware by offering the best of both worlds. A hardware module, tweakable in the real world, fits into any setup, but can stream its audio and be controlled by VST, if you want to integrate it into your DAW. But the flagship product that was almost a decade after the mpc4k/z8/dps24 doesn't do this?...a decade in which computers became MORE important to music making, not less? I can't think of much Kontakt (admittedly, I don't use it much) can do that wouldn't be capable on a piece of hardware. I mean, my z8 has ALMOST every function I could care about, minus the Qlink Sequences (as it doesn't have a sequencer).

The only thing killing hardware is craptastic hardware made by formerly great companies that are now in the expensive toy business, not the instrument business. And they're doing it to themselves.

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway. I agree about the modulation matrix, and that every single parameter of the synth needs to be tweakable and sequencable. Also...like 12 waveforms or whatever is pathetic. For gods sake Akai, I have a 3080 sitting here with a couple hundred or thousand. I mean...seriously. And either take out the 8 track recorder or put it in, but don't just put the tip in and ask me to act all grateful. Stop hampering your products.
By CoinOP! Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 am
Hardware is getting more popular. Wanna bet Akaiproi is gonna jump on the bandwagon when it's too late? Just like the Ren.

I've been messing with audio on my Ipad for a few months now. I must say most of the devs are absolutely amazing with their apps. There is always communication with the users good or bad. Even in the IOS scene AkaiPro gets blasted for iMPC lol.

Most of the amazing apps are developed by a few guys coding next to their fulltime job, family life etc. and Akaipro is complaining about resources. Please!

Be creative Akaipro. There are tons of ways to get the funds from the public.
By sirparksalot Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:12 am
Insomniac wrote:2nd Filter per pad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why oh why did the 5000 rid itself of 2 filters per pad?????

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Big one for me

I like how on the 4000 you can have three per program. I miss this same feature.
By MPCTNT Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 pm
psr wrote:appeal to your mans n nem and have them get that programmer cat some help. twice over in fact. one guy to help him on the Ren updates and another to focus on the 5000. your legacy depends on it (hmmm is that laying it on too thick? nahhhhh :-D )

Sounds pretty good from this end... lay it on lol
By inflict3 Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:16 am
i know they/akai lied to you guys saying there would be another update when they announced the ren, but they/akai lie all the time.. :lol:
By Jauly Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:56 pm
Hmmm I don't get it. OS 2 has been somehow developed by Akai. Now for the fixes/optimizations, at least 1 dude has to change/modify the code a bit. This costs like xx$ per hour or xxx$ per hour. You, who programmed the OS, with all the user experiences and feedback you've got now, dive some hours into the code again, and there we go!

That is nearly no effort for a big company like Akai compared to new hardware engineering and production from scratch, but they don't do it? WTF? Haven't they got some hundred bucks for an OS fix?!
By MPCTNT Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:58 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:There's no greater motivator to a company to fix bugs and customer service than finding no one buys their stuff any more.

Exactly... When they feel it in their pockets, it is highly motivating and jobs usually will be on the line
By Jauly Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:22 pm
MPCTNT wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:There's no greater motivator to a company to fix bugs and customer service than finding no one buys their stuff any more.

Exactly... When they feel it in their pockets, it is highly motivating and jobs usually will be on the line

Umm sorry, in free market economy, it's vice-versa. Because the MPC5000 failed, Akai abandoned it. Would the 5000 still be seen in most of the big studios, I'm sure we would have OS 3.0 or at least a fixed 2.X.

In the end the failure of the MPC 3500 may be in large parts Akais fault (bugs, over-ambitious flagshipping, pricing, weak support etc.), but if people don't buy Akai products any more, Akai will meet one's maker instead of fixing bugs or supporting their products.