MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By e9000k Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
I was just watching some vids on the 5000, its without a doubt a beast, the only thing that holds it back is the OS.

JUST SPEAK UP SO AKAI understand that MPC5000 is still relevant today.

Understand that Akai probably had had a rough time with turning around the business around that time but, please lets not get them away with stopping development of MPC5000 so easily.

Voice what you want to see in OS 3.0,

Top of my list is the MPC Beat Clock issue when slaving the machine to a clock: This is the thread and its fully documented that the 5000 is sloppy vs 4000 and 3000.

viewtopic.php?t=154913&p=1453999

#2 general bug fixes. see bug thread :) get rid of freeze ups and crashes

#3 time correct: nudge by ticks earlier and late and apply swing while a sequence is playing, see mpc 4000, see list by b-righteous

#4 multis like 4000 and TOP10 of 4000 if missing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic1jWJ7CrfE

#5 automap to pad chops while chopping

#6 forum member b-righteous listed these:

Feature request still needed after OS 2.0

General
-Real time audition of quantize changes with sequence play from T.C. screen
-Remove fix screen from T.C. since it is needless. This can be merged on the first screen.
-Ability to increase pad on threshold/sensitivity so the pads trigger accurately every time.
-Add Independent lengths settings for each sequence track. Tracks are set to current sequence length when first recorded. Track length can be adjusted independently from main pressing window on new track "bars" parameter. From window you can quickly add empty bars or append the track to itself.
-Automatic track looping set globally for each sequence. When on, tracks in sequence loop to fill length of sequence.
-Add selectable accent sound to click/metronome
-Import midi file to track with real time preview.
-Midi phrase library.
-Add external midi mixer for midi out ports
-Midi device port and channel naming
-Add Chord function
-16 level scales

Chop shop improvements
a. Add F1 [ADD] and F2 [DELETE] soft-buttons to create slice markers while using data wheel
b. Once a sample is chopped, ability to use pads/pad banks to select regions to edit
c. Allow region start/end points to overlap
d. Add Shift + Pad to [Extract] waveform between start/end points and assign to pad/program
e. Add Convert slice regions to keygroup program

Trim
-improve tempo detect accuracy
-Add Scrolling cursor
-Add re-sampler with quick FX to edit options to re-sample through FX
-Cross fade loop
-Auto-chromatic assignment of sample – add upper & lower note range
-Mark select for editing a group of samples for normalize, truncate, delete.
-detect and remove silence

Program
-Add Modulation Matrix
-Add most Synth, Keygroup, Sample program parameters to modulation matrix (reverse and alternating, sample start offset)
-Add a second syncable LFO to allow full compatibility w/ S5000/6000, Z8, and MPC 4K programs
-Add reverse and alternating to Play Mode
-Add sample start offset and delay to pad layers
-Add two MIDI channels/programs to track

Q-link
-Add Q-link Modes selectable with shift modifier
A. Global
B. Program (ADSR cutoff etc.) / assignable (appears in APM modulation matrix)

Rec Sample
-Add ability to quick assign newly recorded sample to any program
-Skip back re-sampling feature like Roland Fantoms.

Disk
-Purge – add purge program and purge complete memory
-Save mixer with programs and samples
-Save song + sequences + mixer
-Add ability to save effect sets,
-Increase load and save speeds at least 5X
-Mark select to load/save a group of samples

Grid Edit
- Add [Insert] tab (like Step Edit has) to insert Note, Pitch Bend, Control Change, Program Change, etc

Seq Edit
-Add ALL TRACKS to function button.
-Add split notes by pitch function. Each note can be moved to a new empty track and each new track is assigned to the same program settings etc. Selected pad or all is the option
-quick sequence append in bars window on function button to append sequence to itself.
By RodmanSan Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 pm
Great list... :)

And please add the following :
- Correct foot switch bug which causes Play button / Auditioning of sample to fail ->
(Set F5 to foot switch; see also page 195 Using the Foot switches & page 196 Other Settings : F1-F6 Pressing the foot switch will work as if the corresponding function button was pressed.)
By inflict3 Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:11 am
AKAI... we would like an update to 1.3.1 on the 500 too!!! god damn it! just give us a 2.0 come on, its been YEARS AND YEARS! :hmmm:
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 am
inflict3 wrote:AKAI... we would like an update to 1.3.1 on the 500 too!!! god damn it! just give us a 2.0 come on, its been YEARS AND YEARS! :hmmm:

or better yet.. why can't jjos figure that one out.. I dont know for sure, but I figured the architecture was similar to the 1000/2500 (maybe the cpu is the same?) if so.. how hard would it be to code something for that. That would be amazing.
By emanoyhl Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 am
ok i might be new but, i don't understand some of the issues you guys seem to be experiencing.... i've never had crashes or freeze-ups, or midi sync issues when running logic through a usb midi interface...
maybe i need to run it more to see if i can get a crash? lol

some of the feature requests, the mpc already has? - such as the purge memory, midi mixing, pad sensitivity, sequence track lengths, track looping, cross fade loop....

i mean, unless you guys have a different os2 version? lol or i'm not quite understanding the feature requests exactly....

in my somewhat limited experience with the mpc 5k - i find it amazing at what it can already do and do well.... some other feature requests seem a bit far fetched.... what exactly is "midi phrase clips" as opposed to "regular" phrase clips.... adding two midi channels to a program or track would mean making each channel or track multi-timbral... which without additional hardware wouldn't be entirely possible

does anyone even know what processor the mpc uses? i didn't want to have to open it up and take a look for myself.... but i don't believe the software running it would be greatly expandable (of course i could be wrong) - so it would naturally have software limitations - i believe it uses the xfat format.... (think xbox)

anyway, i'm just going out on a limb here to say "i don't get it" - with the issues i mean... :)

someone correct me please ;)

thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 am
mr_debauch wrote:
inflict3 wrote:AKAI... we would like an update to 1.3.1 on the 500 too!!! god damn it! just give us a 2.0 come on, its been YEARS AND YEARS! :hmmm:

or better yet.. why can't jjos figure that one out.. I dont know for sure, but I figured the architecture was similar to the 1000/2500 (maybe the cpu is the same?) if so.. how hard would it be to code something for that. That would be amazing.

I don't think it's that simple, I believe it's partly related to the way the OS is tied to the processor. I also believe much of the OS is rewritten, it would be a PITA to reverse engineer the changes and then try to fix bugs and implement new features. I can't see how JJ would see that as a reasonable use of his time.
By Spinscott Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 pm
Good info in this thread, and it will be exciting if AKAI releases an update at some point! I'm sure FX are less important than most of the more critical features / fixes requested already, but here is one I would love to see: Vinyl simulation effects such as turntable start / turntable break with adjustable speeds. I'd love to be able to apply an effect that sounds like a record slowing down or stopping, and be able to set a parameter for how many ticks it takes to complete the effect. (would be useful at the sample and sequence level) Most CDJs, software programs, and media controllers have this effect so I imagine the code is already well developed...

If this already exists on the 5k, please let me know as I have not found it... I currently accomplish this effect by exporting a sequence, processing it on the PC, and then bringing it back into the MPC as a sample.. It works fine, but would be much easier to be able to do it all in the MPC.
By inflict3 Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:16 pm
yo tutor.. how much cash do you think it would take to make it worth his time?? for real though.. not trying to flaunt or bulls#it..i know im full of jokes alot of the time, but im really for real, maybe we could talk about it in a pm... but i would totally invest..
By MPC-Tutor Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm
inflict3 wrote:yo tutor.. how much cash do you think it would take to make it worth his time?? for real though.. not trying to flaunt or bulls#it..i know im full of jokes alot of the time, but im really for real, maybe we could talk about it in a pm... but i would totally invest..

I dont think it's about money - it's just not technically possible unless he's privy to the way the OS is integrated into the processor on the 500/5000. I'd hazard a guess that if it were remotely possible, he'd have given it a go by now.

I will try to bring it up with him when I get the chance, but the language barrier means these kind of conversations can't really go into the depth they need to.
By e9000k Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 pm
I just don't know what incentive Akai have to do OS3 unless they run a Limited Edition 5000 run all MPC Ren style and OS3.0....

Dan is passionate about 3.0 but i don't know if he will get any backing on it.

*EDIT* imagine they managed to fuse the REN and 5000 in one box, with a switch from Standalone to MPC Software, now that would be some shit lol..
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:51 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
I don't think it's that simple, I believe it's partly related to the way the OS is tied to the processor. I also believe much of the OS is rewritten, it would be a PITA to reverse engineer the changes and then try to fix bugs and implement new features. I can't see how JJ would see that as a reasonable use of his time.

yeah you are probably right... I just figured instead of inventing an entirely new schematic from the ground up for the 500 (im not talking about the 5000..) that they may have just copied the 1000 the way they did with the 2500... I mean, the 500 is in the right era, it has the same specs almost... but maybe you are correct and it's a completely different system.
By inflict3 Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:20 am
just know, if it is possible, im speaking on the 500, i will donate, or whatever it takes to get the ball rolling.. its almost there. it doesnt need much more, its just a few little things i wanna see fixed :mrgreen:
By psr Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 am
e9000k wrote:I just don't know what incentive Akai have to do OS3 unless they run a Limited Edition 5000 run all MPC Ren style and OS3.0....

Dan is passionate about 3.0 but i don't know if he will get any backing on it.

*EDIT* imagine they managed to fuse the REN and 5000 in one box, with a switch from Standalone to MPC Software, now that would be some **** lol..

As for a Ren/5000 hybrid would be nice but who would actually pay for what it would cost? cats complained about the Ren's price. What would the REN_Thousand really cost? too damn much i bet.

Judging from my conversations with Dan he seems really sincere but I also understand (reluctantly so, being an MPC 5000 owner) how the newer hotter product will take presidence over an older product even if plagued by confirmed and rumored bugs. Can you even get a brand new 5000 anymore? maybe so. but do they really still manufacture them? idk. until I see otherwise, even with my 5000 in tow, I'm figuring its a Ren world from here on out.

Dan if your reading , which i know you do, appeal to your mans n nem and have them get that programmer cat some help. twice over in fact. one guy to help him on the Ren updates and another to focus on the 5000. your legacy depends on it (hmmm is that laying it on too thick? nahhhhh :-D )
By dtaa pla muk Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm
akai isn't listening. it's been almost 10 years since the release of the mpc1000 (the first mpc influenced by new akai) and they have made no moves toward a more open development model, even though it would save them money, gain them publicity, and earn them trust/loyalty.

you guys should find new products and support developers who listen to you.
By e9000k Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:43 pm
Nym wrote:akai isn't listening. it's been almost 10 years since the release of the mpc1000 (the first mpc influenced by new akai) and they have made no moves toward a more open development model, even though it would save them money, gain them publicity, and earn them trust/loyalty.

you guys should find new products and support developers who listen to you.

That may just be the harsh reality....

RIP MPC5000