MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By psr Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:50 pm
psr wrote:Can you even get a brand new 5000 anymore? maybe so. but do they really still manufacture them? idk. until I see otherwise, even with my 5000 in tow, I'm figuring its a Ren world from here on out.

yeah as I said.
By konc3pt Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 pm
psr wrote:
psr wrote:Can you even get a brand new 5000 anymore? maybe so. but do they really still manufacture them? idk. until I see otherwise, even with my 5000 in tow, I'm figuring its a Ren world from here on out.

yeah as I said.

I believe 5k was discontinued about a year ago :hmmm:
By konc3pt Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Akai's best move is to just open source the 500 and 5000. They can license it JJ, funded by us users, and everyone will be happy.

I think akai scared nobody will come near their OS after using JJOS. I know I wouldn't use mpc if it wasn't for JJ...if JJos was available across entire MPC line 4000 would be my MPC instead of 2500

Or that somebody else will come out with MPC like machine...maybe it'd be worth a shot trying to develop MPC clone based on MPC 4000 spec utilizing JJ n his OS
By inflict3 Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 am
Ill-Green wrote:Akai's best move is to just open source the 500 and 5000. They can license it JJ, funded by us users, and everyone will be happy.

if someone can contact the right person over at akai and see how much money it would take to open source the code, i would be more then happy to join in on getting some money together to make it happen....for real think on a better os on both!!!
By mr_debauch Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 am
inflict3 wrote:

if someone can contact the right person over at akai and see how much money it would take to open source the code, i would be more then happy to join in on getting some money together to make it happen....for real think on a better os on both!!!

it wouldn't cost them anything... it would gain their products more sales if there was something new for the 500... for the 5000... who the hell knows what that would take... if they ever would.. but releasing the source code and info for working on the machines would not cost them anything... maybe the 20 bucks to pay the peon to go to the drawers and pull out the documents.. and to get the rest of the stuff together.

The thing is.. who would do the work on the OS?
By wellfunk Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:11 pm
What I want is a clear statement from Akai explaining the status of the 5K now and in the future. Since it was taken off production last year I think we need them to understand how devoted we are for this model, and that an update would help Akai solidify their status as being the most prominent producer of legendary samplers, that wants to help their customers and users. The 5000's has a LOT of capabilities when you look to the hardware and physical UI, it's just a shame that the software isn't filling up the 5k's full potential. The software can be fixed tho,,,

We could try to set up a deal with them, if we can get a project going for Akai on kickstarter.com that would maybe help them get the inspiration and funding they need to either update the old OS or maybe even hiring JJ to make a new OS in their name. Does anyone actually have contact with the guys? I sent them a couple of emails regarding the OS when I had just bought my 5k but didn't get a response. And I figured they didn't bother to answer when I found this forum and saw that a lot of people were having lots of issues with it.
By psr Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 pm
konc3pt wrote:I think we should all pitch in buy out akai, hire JJ n call it a day :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Someone mentioned a clone 4000 with JJos. same for 5000. dudes do it with synths all the time. Cool idea. I'll be the first to admit. I aint even got the time though :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Ill-Green Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:06 am
mr_debauch wrote:
inflict3 wrote:

it wouldn't cost them anything... it would gain their products more sales if there was something new for the 500... for the 5000... who the hell knows what that would take... if they ever would.. but releasing the source code and info for working on the machines would not cost them anything... maybe the 20 bucks to pay the peon to go to the drawers and pull out the documents.. and to get the rest of the stuff together.

The thing is.. who would do the work on the OS?

Exactly, Akai will be the ones collecting money, not losing. And by licensing it to JJ, they will still have the Akai name on the JJOS product. Everyone will come out winning.
By Heavie Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:41 am
Congress should pass a law stateing Electronic Manufactures should allow the firmware or os software to be open source if:

1) The product is discontinue from sales for a period of 1yr without support or they longer release updates after 2yrs of a previous update.

2) If a manufacture decides not to support a product. The firmware or os software of that product can not exceed 5% of potential bugs and glitches.

3) If a product's firmware or os software does exceeds 5% of failure. The manufacture is prohibit from selling a revamp model of a previous model to comsumer.