MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By reampcc Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:57 pm
I like this idea.....but is it realistic?? I sold my 1k last year and got a 5k (for a pretty good price too)...exactlly 2 weeks later, they said the 5k was discontinued...but last week I found a good deal on a 1k for super cheap so I couldn't pass that up...so now I have 2 mp's but don't know if I wanna get rid of my 5k cause my luck, I'll get rid of it, then 2 weeks later there will be an update :lol: ...so I think Imma hold on to this for little while & wait and see.
By dazastah Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 am
reampcc wrote:...so I think Imma hold on to this for little while & wait and see.

Use them both together... Pretty slick combo... The synth is way underated.. REally quick to make synth sounds.. Easy to understand... The qlinks are setup really well when using the synth module...

You could actually make whole songs with vocals using the hd recorder....
By Mistamixx Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 am
**** wrote:
reampcc wrote:then 2 weeks later there will be an update

won´t happen...
Your track is hot!
By CoinOP! Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 am
Mistamixx wrote:
**** wrote:
reampcc wrote:then 2 weeks later there will be an update

won´t happen...
Your track is hot!

Too bad German language sounds terrible.
By LivePsy Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:36 am
I use my MPC5000 all the time and accept the bugs saying "at least I'm not sitting down with a mouse". But the downsides are not trivial. I have an entire mirror of my sample collection resaved for 16-bit, 40 sample gap at the start and short filenames. Then I overlook the noisy scroll wheel and uneven coloring on the display (which is sensitive to the MPC heating up). If that was all, I'd say I was crazy and who cares. But with the bugs tripping me up, even I think I'm stupid hanging on to it.

Can we at least have the silly bugs fixed? Are margins really so small on pro music hardware?

B
By Metatron72 Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 am
I doubt they turned a profit on the 5000. The majority of the stock that's around are countless refurbed units from people returning them, a lot of times that same screen issue you described.

Hardware gets discontinued, people accept that. But Akai's history in the last 8-9 years has been the same, update twice at most and leave everybody hanging after that. Without JJ the 1000 and the 2500 would be in the same boat as the 5000. That's 3 straight machine's in a row where the only problem was the manufacturer essentially shrugging it off like "we don't really care, we already have your money".

It's worse because just to garner some brand loyalty back they stated not so long ago "yeah we will hit you with on last update for 5000". I would imagine they had zero intention of actually doing it.

There's no real precedent of a mainstream manufacturer answering a user bases call for an update to a discontinued piece, even when the critical mass of users is saying "we'll pool our money and pay you , just please help us and hold up your end even if it's late."

It's like they work backwards from the fact that they pulled the plug, while disregarding half the reason they had to pull the plug was not ever following through with the OS.

I wish you guys weren't at the mercy of a flawed business model, but you'll see Jesus on earth again before Akai will finish what they started on the 5000.
By LivePsy Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:46 pm
Just to get this in perspective, how unfinished is the old MPC2000? Guessing that this iconic model was one of the last genuine Akai machines.

Are we just being too precious here with the new models. Or were bugs like the 2500 trashing files when overwriting them the warning signs of no-care programming and little chance of bug fixes?

I don't want an older model, just wondering if they were all insanely great and insanely flawed?

B
By Jauly Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 pm
Anyway. It would be a shame to let the mighty MPC 3500 project completely die out & dry out like a dinosaur. Still hoping for a sign of life from Akai.
By konc3pt Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:51 am
Jauly wrote:Still hoping for a sign of life from Akai.

Oh there is if you look in mpc ren section a.k.a money maker. Akai is motto if it don't make money don't support it. Roland for example rolled out update for the MV good amount of time after was discontinued

Even jahrome ditched his beloved 5k n he was one of beta testers as with ren n he don't even make music. If jah bails you know it can't be good
Last edited by konc3pt on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LivePsy Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 am
konc3pt wrote:Roland for example rolled out update for the MV good amount of time after was discontinued

Or fixed bugs which destroyed saved work. Took Akai years with the 2500 to do that, then broke midi sync out timing in the process.

I love the MPC and I also wish I had never got my first one :)

B