MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Kaia Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:40 pm
Hey guys, i know that now akai is busy with the ren updates,but this's not an excuse to forget and discard the 5K (it's still the much more expensive MPC and with more potential)...I'm not saying that they must update it every month with new features etc, I WOULD LIKE ONLY A LAST UPDATE WHEREIN ALL THE BUG ARE FIXED. It would be the best mpc ever.

We Have a complete and precise bug list on this forum,so How many 5000 Users would like to make a petition?
By Jauly Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:34 pm
It's also the best sounding modern MPC to date. All MPC 5000 user would desire or appreciate a new OS with all bugs fixed for sure. But I don't know what a petition will do because I don't think there are so many 5000 users out there.
By Kaia Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm
you're right, in fact this topic is intended to see how many 5000 users are out there and if we're enough we can try to make a petition I know it may be difficult, but give it a try :wink:
By Ian Canefire Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:10 pm
I am not a 5000 owner but I would say that you should request that akai give out the source code. That way you the community can make improvements. It is what all 4000 owners wish for but akai isnt on anymore and the makers are gone or no one knows it. The 5000 is relatively new and they must still have it.

Go for the code.

Cheers
Ian
By dazastah Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 am
I dont actually understand why they didn't even do the same thing that jj did... Charge for different levels of os... I mean People are prepared to pay for it.. And it would kinda support akai as a business if they went this route... I guess they may have already thought of it, and there isn;t as many 5000's sold as we or akai would like to think.... But yes.. Source code open pleaSe!
By Kaia Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 am
Ian Canefire wrote:I am not a 5000 owner but I would say that you should request that akai give out the source code. That way you the community can make improvements. It is what all 4000 owners wish for but akai isnt on anymore and the makers are gone or no one knows it. The 5000 is relatively new and they must still have it.

Go for the code.

Cheers
Ian

Yeah, this one is an option too
By m:t:c Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am
you'd also need someone who's worked on that project to make it anything more than a wasted effort. Seriously doubt that they'll make it public domain as it'd reveal all their "secrets" they have for making such gear.
By markski Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm
dazastah wrote:I dont actually understand why they didn't even do the same thing that jj did... Charge for different levels of os... I mean People are prepared to pay for it.. And it would kinda support akai as a business if they went this route...

Much as I'd love to see a free update this makes the most sense to me for them to justify it financially. They could charge for an OS 3.0 update in order to fund development and support any fixes. At least we'd stand a chance of getting an update this way. I'd pay just to get a functional Chop Shop and lag reduction on some of the screens.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 pm
IMO the only way this is ever going to happen is if they do a deal with a third party to take over the OS development, with a contractual obligation to keep the OS closed source. That company can then charge for the OS updates and support, under license from Akai.

Regardless, I cannot see how anyone can see this to be in any way profitable for whoever takes it on, the MPC5000 user base is pretty small, and outside of this forum, many 5000 users are not even aware OS 2.0 exists (I often get customers who are running the original factory OS 1.x) - I'm not convinced that even 10% of 5000 owners would be interested in this.

Quite frankly IMO, the time to fix the 5000 has long passed, both in terms of a revenue stream and certainly in terms of building good will with customers - my advice is to either accept the product 'as is' or sell it and buy something else, i.e. a 2500 with JJOS128XL perhaps - at least that is still getting updated, and you can make your own synth in that OS, all the features are built in :)
By psr Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 pm
dazastah wrote:I dont actually understand why they didn't even do the same thing that jj did... Charge for different levels of os... I mean People are prepared to pay for it.. And it would kinda support akai as a business if they went this route... I guess they may have already thought of it, and there isn;t as many 5000's sold as we or akai would like to think.... But yes.. Source code open pleaSe!

i can not agree with paying for something that should have been correct from jump. it would set a bad precedent. and i think we've been down that source code road before. aint happening. JJos only has the other source code because he helped write it when he worked there or something. the long and short of it is that they should just bang out a new OS already. but the likely hood of it is next to zero in my opinion even with having spoken to Dan myself and seeing how well intentioned he is i just dont think it makes sense from a their perspective. REN is the man now. Its their priority. 5000 is not even made anymore (i dont think). i cant imagine they would put resources into a product that has reached end of life cycle or that is nearing end of life. sorry to be mr doom and gloom but i dont see it happening. i'd like them to prove me wrong but its not likely that we'll get source code or a new os.
By psr Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:28 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Quite frankly IMO, the time to fix the 5000 has long passed, both in terms of a revenue stream and certainly in terms of building good will with customers - my advice is to either accept the product 'as is' or sell it and buy something else

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
By Ill-Green Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm
Dan Gill promised Saint Joe at winter NAMM 2013 that they are working on the new OS for the 5000. I know he lied becaused he said the same thing the last NAMM and then came out with an apology speech that its not gonna happen. So far, no apology speech yet but with a dev team of only 5 people at Nukai, I think all the funds is going to the Renny Stinkbox.

BTW, we did a few huge petitions for the MPC500 from OS 2.0 to releasing the open source, but Akai never listens, they always got some rep saying "Hey, thats a good idea, I'll pass this to the right department" then you hear the same thing from the "right department" like "Hey, this is good guys, I'll speak to my superiors about this" But, SH!T!! How many times do we have to kick and scream that their products are incomplete? For the last 5 years Nukai been sleeping and dreaming on their clients because they are drunk with the Akai MPC brand name like its the sacred word of the kabbala.