MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By _twXn_ Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:33 pm
Found a MPC 5000 at a local pawn shop for $500. Is there anything I should check for on it? Any advice on buying used gear would be appreciated.

Peace
By richie Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 am
As far as I remember, one common issue is the pads going bad on it.
By _twXn_ Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:51 pm
richie wrote:As far as I remember, one common issue is the pads going bad on it.

Thanks for your response. So I should test to make sure the pads are working.
Anything else I can check for, that you recommend, would be appreciated.
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:19 am
well... make sure the display works properly.. when it's been on a few minutes, make sure there is no burnt smell coming from it (sort of a joke, but a few of them were smoking for some unknown reason)
By _twXn_ Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:24 pm
mr_debauch wrote:well... make sure the display works properly.. when it's been on a few minutes, make sure there is no burnt smell coming from it (sort of a joke, but a few of them were smoking for some unknown reason)

Oh wow, lol. Do you think its worth it for $500?
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:51 pm
yes.. if it works then you can buy it and try it out.. and get at least what you payed for it if you need to get rid of it to upgrade to an mpc 4000 or something
By richie Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:03 pm
It's worth it for $500 provided it works. I'm sure you could get more than that if it you part it out as well.

Then you could sell it and buy a BeatThang and become a platinum producer. I recently went platinum on ringtones in Nigeria.