MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By SQUARTZ Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:48 am
Hello!
I'm looking at some used MPC5000's that have a short return warranty.

What should I look for first in a used 5k to make sure everything is tiptop.

Aside from the obvious shit…

thanks
By SQUARTZ Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:14 pm
Why the 5k?

Being able to stream audio from the HD.
The synth
Turntable preamp
ADAT
Higher Memory max
More effects
More controls

Is there something I'm missing? This isnt the comparison forum.

If the 2.0 OS fixed most of the bugs, why should I not consider the 5000?
By MPC-Tutor Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:12 pm
There's no particularly unique considerations for the 5000, just the usual stuff like checking all pads are working, testing audio ins and outs, memory, hard drive, buttons etc. I believe some 5000s suffered from smoking screens, but you'll soon spot that :)

As for 2.0, nope, Akai did not fix most of the bugs, they fixed some of them and made a bunch of new ones. Akai released 2.0 and washed their hands of it.
IMO, the 5000 os is also poorly thought out with some infuriating workflow killers compared to 'lesser' mpcs.

I'm not a fan, but as you say, this isn't the comparison forum, so I'm not here to convince you to buy something else. Just treat it like any used second hand gear and run it through its paces as soon as you can.
By SQUARTZ Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:42 pm
Thanks for the insightful reply.

So I guess the "bugs" we're pervasive across the entire line and not just some buggy lots.

Hmmmm
By MPC-Tutor Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:32 pm
SQUARTZ wrote:Thanks for the insightful reply.

So I guess the "bugs" we're pervasive across the entire line and not just some buggy lots.

Hmmmm

The bugs are os level bugs. Additionally some units experience os lag which my unit does (only since 2.0) - I only say 'some' units because some people swear blind that their units have no lag.