MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By polcure Mon May 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Hi
I've got a mpc5000 which was barely used. Only used a few times in 2015. I fired it on it boots fine and shows correct ram and firmware.

When pressing mode and any pad function nothing happens. The corresponding buttons seem to trigger other function. The navigation buttons only work with the right button.

I factory resetted using the usual erase button when powering on.

I opened it up and checked all ribbon cables and to see if there were any bad capacitors etc. All seem visually fine.

I'm just wondering if a flat lithium br2325 is the culprit. Has anyone had to change the lithium battery out.

Regards
M Patel
By MPC-Tutor Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm
My pads ceased to function correctly after putting the 500 in storage for a couple of years (lost all sensitivity, need to be hit really hard to register anything) - it was fine before I put it away, and I've always wondered what could have caused this issue considering it had not seen any further wear or tear in those two years. Could you elaborate on the battery theory? Whereabouts is this battery situated?
By polcure Mon May 06, 2019 9:27 pm
Hi the battery is located on the main PCB where the usb socket is attached to. I had to remove a load of screws. My MPC 5000 hasn't had much use at all but for some odd reason it's know got issues. It was never left connected to a socket. The only thing I can think would go is the br2325 battery. Once my replacement arrives I'll update on this post on the progress.

I'm guessing the battery must hold settings. It's hard for me to say until I solder in a new one. My pads are fine, but all button presses are eratic. It cannot be a faulty button as all buttons are eratic. I have reseated all cables.
By polcure Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 pm
If the lithium battery change doesn't resolve it. Then I may have to recap the hole PSU with some new capacitors.
By JUKE 179r Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 am
you should be careful soldering in the lithium battery because heat can kill it... thermal damage. You should use a heat sink when soldering it in place.

Try to reinstall the OS again and see what happens. Report back.
By polcure Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm
Hi I intend to solder in a holder so I won't have to solder in the battery it self. Looking at the PCB there are three prongs, two of which are positive.

I just hope it works.

Failing this then I'll have no option but to replace all the caps which are not nichcon caps.

Not sure why Akai used premium caps on the board and skimped on other caps with a more inferior brand.
By polcure Tue May 07, 2019 4:29 pm
I've tried updating firmware by pressing 2and 3 whilst powering. It goes straight to main screen. When I press three it goes to program select. I can't even use the cursor keys to navigate. The buttons all do something else.
By arp70blue Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:03 am
Hi, just bought a 5K and it is having the exact same strange button behaviour. Buttons seem to press themselves and screen defaults to Input Thru which is the 4th tab in Mixer Mode......
Did you get yours sorted Polecure? If so what did you do, was it the battery? I can't reinstall firmware as buttons 2 and 3 / power on process not getting recognised. Any help would very appreciated. Cheers.
By SMUDGE Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:05 pm
I second JUKE 179r 's comment about reinstalling the OS.

I had a similar issue with my like-new 5000. Original owner, purchased it in when it was released. Always buzzed, wobbled on a flat surface, buttons were slow to respond and the screen was laggy. Set some books on the pads like an idiot and flattened them then half the pads wouldn't respond.

Cracked it open and sliced the sensors to release the vacuum causing them to stick, installed the latest OS and RAM upgrade.
Wobble gone, all pads function properly, no screen lag, no buzz. Never replaced the battery. Still works. Love the 5000.