MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By SV1200 Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:28 pm
Been digging deep in this forum, looking for solutions. I am amazed the issue of the 5K restarting randomly has never been fully solved given the amount of people who have had the issue. Has Akai ever discussed with anyone the actual issue? I had a codec error, removed hard drive and its booting fine. Now its restarting randomly. Works good sometimes for 10 min, but ultimately always reboots

Things I've tried
- loaded 1.02 OS vs 2.0 OS no difference
- Erase button when turned on, reinitialize
- reseat all connectors
- turn off auto load.
- checked power supply readout with multimeter, all is good there
- changed power outlets and power cords

Just bought RAM upgrade, shot in the dark that it might change anything. Where is the standard RAM in the machine. Easy to change?

Other issue might be that pesky LI battery inside, I read replacing may fix ROM and time code, but that bad boy is soldered in. Nervous to replace that myself.

So sad this great machine has crippled so many with this issue, but it's never been solved. Anyone have some other ideas, suggestions, insights? I have brand new pads, new CD card slot installed.
By mpc5000kid Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:52 am
I myself have recently acquired an MPC 5000 and came across all the issues you had, the only difference was I never loaded the 1.02 OS but loaded 2.0 twice and oddly I only did the Erase button reinitialisation about 5 times and I think it may have corrected it’s self ,also i have kept it on autoload. This my first mpc and I wasn’t aware of how buggy it is.
By DAMICBEATS Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 am
I had the same issue when I first bought my MPC5000 a few years ago but since it was still under warranty the seller sent it off to the shop and they told me they replaced the whole power supply and that fixed the restart issue. NOW, I have the (CODEC) Failed Write error and the SPDIF Error. I can even load the machine into the OS because I can't get pass those errors. This is my first MPC and was supposed to be my dream machine that I wanted for years but now it's turned into a nightmare because I can even send it to the shop to get fixed because a lot of shops stopped supporting it because of not being able to get spare parts. This is very frustrating! I wish Akai would do something about this. The 5000 is a such a nice machine, I just wished they would of fixed all those bugs!
By ip_unicorn Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:38 pm
I also just bought one. I also have the CODEC Failed write error. What is the reason for this error and how can I fix it? I can ignore the error but I don't get any sound out of the unit. Is the error message the reason for the sound / unit not working or am I doing something wrong. Thanks for the help
By Dillionaire_ Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:44 am
I have the restart loading issue, I noticed a leaking cap on the screen Inverter board, had it repaired today and two other resistors that blew up next to it. Its still got the same issue, I reckon the power supply has to be the problem with this restart issue. The possibility of the codec and smpte errors make me not even want to bother taking it further, the 5000 is a great machine and I'd love to have it working but stumped as what to do, getting the power supply board recapped will be a couple hundred bucks easily