MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Freddsk1 Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:33 am
Hey guys.

So I'm dealing with this huge headache on my MPC 5000. I start up the machine and load in my sample I wanna work with. All the settings are default from startup.

But if I chop up, and press one of the pads, it randomly change the sound of it when I press the pad. Like I press the pad multiple times like; "tap tap tap tap" - but sometimes its like a "tup" in between which sounds really off and I can't seem to locate the issue why it's causing it.

It happens to all the sounds, drums, samples, bass so it sounds horrible when I'm playing around, before I'm recording because it's not sounding right. Yes, it also randomly happens to any note/pad after it's recorded into the sequence. It doesn't matter if I recorded with the "off" or "normal" sound, it will change during the loop in playback, sounding different every loop.

If I play the same pad/note on a bass program, it sounds different too when it happens, but when it happens the "off" sound is consistent. It's not like there are three different sounds. It's only the "normal" and the "off" and the "off" is not very frequent. But It could happen like up to three times in a row tho, then it sounds normal next 20 times, then suddenly it comes back sounding weird.

It sounds like it's some kind of "echo" "different pitch" "filter effect" when it happens. It just don't sound like what it's suppose to be. And It's completely random!

Have anyone encountered this problem? I've read through the whole manual and tried different things with no success. It still happens. It's really noticeable when playing the samples and bass. Which led me to not touch the synth capabilities at all because when I play a bass line, it sounds different every loop, not majorly but you still hear the difference.

I'm sorry for bad explanation, I wish I could show you a video or something and show all the settings are default from start up. I'm fairly sure the video won't pick up the difference anyway. Is it a bug perhaps? I never really noticed it from the finished songs I've extracted? It's just when I play around to the drum track and listening to the loop after I've recorded the pads/note. Also some samples are more noticeable, I guess because of the nature of which it sounds.

My solution has always been to avoid the samples, bass which randomly sounds weird like this, but those songs I've extracted, I can't remember to have notice it, probably because the difference is not noticeable and there are so many other sounds on top of it, if they was to be played.

Please help a homie out.

Peace
By Freddsk1 Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:00 am
I've investigated some more. The problem could be part of the synth function. When I launch the "synth" by pressing the button on top left of the mpc, and start to play with the pads. If I press one pad, I hear the note change every time I press it. (It happens to all the pads and in all the banks) So that's why I never really touched the synth at all, because If I record something, it's gonna sound different every loop.

Is there any way to change any settings so it doesn't randomize every note? (the note sounds like they change pitch, filter, etc. like I described from my first post.) Could there be something else I could do to make it stop? Maybe it will help with those other bass and samples I've struggled with before? I've tried many year to locate the problem by changing settings in "BASIC" VCOs" "VCF" VCA" "LFOs" and "MASTER" but I have no clue what I'm doing. Is there a way to like reset to default synth settings? Because from my experience, they stay the same even if you turn off/on the mpc.