MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

Are you interested in a new PSU for the Fusion & MPC5000?

100%
N/A
N/A
By JMSFusion8HD Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:12 pm
I have a friend with the skills and equipment to Design and Build a New PSU for the Alesis Fusion & MPC 5000

The new PSU would be a modern design and should be more energy efficient and produce less heat :)

However before he invests Time & Money I need to give him and idea of how many people are interested in buying one to see if it is worth his time & money to Design and Build a New PSU for the Alesis Fusion & MPC 5000.

Please respond if you are seriously interested!

I will tally up the number of interested people and get back to him, once I do that and he replies back I will post the updated news here.

Let's Hope for the Best :-D

Sincerely, Jesse Smith
By MPC-Tutor Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:53 pm
It's worth noting that there are only a small number of MPC5000 owners out there these days, and even less actually engaging in forums (not just this one, I don't really see much posting about the 5000 on Facebook, reddit etc). This sub forum only gets one new post a month. I doubt you will get many, if any, responses. In all honesty, there was never really that many MPC5000 owners in the first place, even at the peak of its release. It was a flop.

My advice is to take 100% full payment pre-orders first, that way you know exactly how many people are genuinely interested . Maybe run it on something like kickstarter.
By JMSFusion8HD Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:14 pm
Daniel says he can build as few as (1) or as many as we need.

He just needs to know how many PCB's (Printed Circuit Boards) to buy after he completes his design :)

I told him I would buy one initially and install it in my 8HD to test it out, if everything looks good we can order more:)
By JMSFusion8HD Thu May 19, 2022 4:42 pm
Looking at the polls across four different forums, (3) for the Alesis Fusion and (1) for the MPC 5000 there are five people interested in buying one and another five that don't need a new PSU for now, but they are interested in the new PSU.
Daniel is in the process of designing the New PSU, but without a schematic he has to study the new version PSU I loaned him as well as the Fusion's other PCB's to determine the loads on each voltage line.
Once Daniel has completed his design and is ready to build the PSU I will get one to install in one of my Fusion 8HD's to test it.

iridium on the Fusion Club forum has been using a PC ATX PSU to power his Alesis Fusion using -12 volt instead of -16 volts since 2017.
I have been inspecting my spare Fusion 8HD PCB's and the Main PCB and the Digital Analog PCB both have -16 volts test points on the PCB's
So, I am not sure the LCD is the only section that uses -16 volts. Using a lower -12 volt instead of the -16 volt could cause other components to draw more current to make up for the lower voltage.

[quote author="@iridium" source="/post/18453/thread" timestamp="1496406789"] The PC supply haven't 't -16v but -12v It,s only use for the LCD , if you have original, LCD you must only Remove a resistance on LCD
if you have a new LCD there are no problem (because you use +5v or 3,3v)
best regards from France [/quote]
[quote author="@iridium" source="/post/18603/thread" timestamp="1529612422"] [attachment id="221" thumbnail="1"]
Hi, not 16v for analog board ... at the beginning Alesis use 12v but they’ve change for the 16v because some problem can be appear on lcd[/quote]
By JMSFusion8HD Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:13 am
It might be a while, but I'll let you know if and when we can get one.

I asked Daniel how it was going with the PSU design - His reply

"Wish I could tell you different, but it seems like I've been busier than ever over the last several months and not gotten anywhere with the concept.
Certainly have the board if you ever need/want to get it back from me. Still want to give it a go, just can't give any idea when time might free up.

I told him as far as the PSU goes hang on to it for a while hopefully you'll be able to find some time to work on it :)

Take Care ... Jesse
By Tumiel87 Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:58 pm
Hello ! Any news about new PSU project? My mpc 5000 is already dead mpcstuff dont have any used PSU this project is my last hope . Do you know any good service center In Europe which can fix my mpc ( In Germany/Poland ?) or do you have any idea how to make it back to life again?
By fwarzwick Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:42 pm
+1 bump

Totally interested as well! For the time being gonna try and just re-cap mine as preventative maintenance.. unless I can somehow find a straight up drop-in replacement to buy that is?...

Oh, by the way, fwiw, I can confirm: it is certainly an absolute MASSIVE PITFA to get to (and subsequently remove) the PSU PCB based on how it is designed!!! ..shit sucked not gonna lie, praying I never have to mess with this nonsense again lolll. we'll see......

cheers,
-Fred