MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By DenverMPCnerd Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:31 am
Long-time lurker, first time poster...my MPC 5k is acting up, and I'm trying to see if anyone has faced this and has something unique outside of the usual recommendations. Machine is an MPC5000 with full memory upgrade, with hard drive detached - the drive was attached before, but the machine is still acting the same with or without the drive attached.

What happens is one of two things:

MPC5k turns on
    performs ROM autoload - I cannot stop this now
    Error window: Stream engine failed to load! Checksum 2 is invalid
    Press ok (F5)
    banner saying Initializing modes... appears

OR

Boot MPC up
    Starts Autoload, but I press STOP and it stops
    Error window: Stream engine failed to load! Checksum 2 is invalid
    Press ok (F5)
    Error window disappears
    "Abort? Abort folder load" window appears as ROM autoload tries again
    Press Yes = nothing, pressing STOP causes the loading to stop
    "Abort? Abort folder load" window reappears, but this time with nothing loading, and won't respond to Yes or STOP

What hasn't worked:

1. Starting with ERASE pressed does nothing - it says the system is reset, but it doesn't stop the loading issues

2. Cannot create an OS CF card because the machine will not get past loading (have not found good instructions for creating this on Windows 10)

3. Pressing 2+3 on start takes me to the OS update screen, but I can't find instructions on sending the OS update via MIDI anywhere

4. unseating/re-seating the RAM does nothing

Looking for any Akai-insider advice about what they did with these when this happened, since we all know it's happened a few times...Thanks in advance!