MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By NearTao Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:02 pm
There's a crowd that swears by them... never used one myself... but the firmware 2.0 seems to fix a number of problems...

my "feel" on it was that it was a rather half baked release, with a lot of promises, that were never *quite* delivered on with the 2.0 update on the 5k. JJOS for the 1k/2.5k really showed what could be done with MPCs from that era, and in my mind the 5k was really overshadowed by the work and effort JJ put into JJOS.

I believe it's a perfectly fine and usable machine, has some "modern" niceties like an onboard synth... but I fear it's probably still buggy enough, and at this point old enough... that you know the software won't get fixed... and the hardware will need to be maintained.
By WavyJonez19 Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:13 pm
NearTao wrote:There's a crowd that swears by them... never used one myself... but the firmware 2.0 seems to fix a number of problems...

my "feel" on it was that it was a rather half baked release, with a lot of promises, that were never *quite* delivered on with the 2.0 update on the 5k. JJOS for the 1k/2.5k really showed what could be done with MPCs from that era, and in my mind the 5k was really overshadowed by the work and effort JJ put into JJOS.

I believe it's a perfectly fine and usable machine, has some "modern" niceties like an onboard synth... but I fear it's probably still buggy enough, and at this point old enough... that you know the software won't get fixed... and the hardware will need to be maintained.

Thanks for letting me know. I just understood what you meant about the older models with the JJOS. Don't know about the JJOS operation system or wether or not they were a new firmware fix for the older MPC's. I do know the JJOS only applies to the 2000/2000XL/2500 and 1000 models. But it's funny because the above mentioned models are the only other ones you see on "YouTube" and "Instagram" "Facebook". Never really the 4K, 5K, Renaissance, Touch, 3000, 500.