MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By illiac Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 am
The more I think about this machine, the more I think that I would buy an MV8800 instead, if I were seriously considering it. My reasoning is that when it comes to the meat and potatoes (sequencing and sampling), the MV is very similar in specs and capabilities to this unit. But Roland has a much better track record concerning stability and product support. Whenever I buy something from Roland -- I have 6 keyboards and modules from them -- I think that I'm not buying the most cutting edge technology, but I'm getting something rock solid and reliable. If I were buying the MPC5000, I would think, gee, I'm not getting any cutting edge technology, and I'm getting Akai's legendary support for OS upgrades (cough).

In reality, I think a MacBook Pro (and/or peripherals to make it a complete system, like audio interface, etc.) is a much better investment for any musician these days. Pick up an MPD32 or other controller for making beats.

The only reason I'm all worked up about the MPC5000 (perhaps there are other MPC4000 owners who feel the way I do) is that the MPC4000 has a really important place in the center of my studio and workflow, and there's no product on the horizon to replace it and carry it into the future. ak.sys is great, but without ongoing support it's getting very wobbly. I have all kinds of problems doing backups through it. This kind of software and hardware, that interacts with computers through USB, etc., needs ongoing support, or, failing that, an upgrade path into the future.

*sigh*

-illiac

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:53 am
I think you should buy an MV as well. You will be getting Roland's legendary repackaged technology. Or just skip the MV and get the Fantom G..same thing.

By bomb beats Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:54 pm
I agree. I'll just stick with my Famton X & 4000.

By That-1-DJ Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:06 pm
Not impressive at all, Looks like something you would see at WALMART if they started carrying music gear, I will definately keep my 2500le!

By Teletran1 Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:59 pm
That-1-DJ wrote:Not impressive at all, Looks like something you would see at WALMART if they started carrying music gear, I will definately keep my 2500le!

Not to be a jerk, but isn't that statement a bit contradictive?

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:05 pm
Teletran1 wrote:
That-1-DJ wrote:Not impressive at all, Looks like something you would see at WALMART if they started carrying music gear, I will definately keep my 2500le!

Not to be a jerk, but isn't that statement a bit contradictive?

I was thinking this but was waiting for someone to write it :lol:

By That-1-DJ Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:52 am
To me the black just makes it look cheap! the same with the 2500, Just my opinion!

By That-1-DJ Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:58 am
just curious, what MPC do you guys have. OJ you claim to have the 5000 do you actually have it, If not wich one!

By Blue Haze Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:59 am
That-1-DJ wrote:just curious, what MPC do you guys have. OJ you claim to have the 5000 do you actually have it, If not wich one!

It hasn`t been released yet. OJ speaking from the manual along with his guesses. It will be up to you the user. Check out the ref guide.

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:56 am
That-1-DJ wrote:just curious, what MPC do you guys have. OJ you claim to have the 5000 do you actually have it, If not wich one!

Sorry to mislead you. I made it clear in other threads here that I will get one as soon as it arrives anywhere in the world. I have friends and family everywhere.

Everything I say about the MPC 5000 is based upon the video demos and the actual manual. The manuals and screen shots of the MPC 5000, it nearly identical to the MPC 2500/1000. I am already prepared to create full tracks and master on the MPC 5000.

By That-1-DJ Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:10 am
OJ Reem wrote:

Sorry to mislead you. I made it clear in other threads here that I will get one as soon as it arrives anywhere in the world. I have friends and family everywhere.

Everything I say about the MPC 5000 is based upon the video demos and the actual manual. The manuals and screen shots of the MPC 5000, it nearly identical to the MPC 2500/1000. I am already prepared to create full tracks and master on the MPC 5000.
I was just wondering, because i seen it listed in your profile, and thought that you might have some sort of inside connection!

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:12 am
No inside connection but I guarantee I will have this unit as soon as anybody...by any means necessary.
By Kd Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:40 pm
Im so stoked the 2500xl, I mean the 5000 (LOL) is coming out, now I can hopefully cop a cheap 4000! peace

By That-1-DJ Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:00 pm
OJ Reem wrote:No inside connection but I guarantee I will have this unit as soon as anybody...by any means necessary.
What model do you currently use.

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 pm
That-1-DJ wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:No inside connection but I guarantee I will have this unit as soon as anybody...by any means necessary.
What model do you currently use.

I own an MPC 2500 and 1000.