MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Pilotwings Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:13 pm
Yes there is a page on Akai's website showing the new MPC5000.

http://www.akaipro.com/prodMPC5000.php

Looks like a few nice features, but still appears to be only a drum/phrase sampler (not full-blown like the MPC4000) - maybe they could've called it the new MPC3900...

Let me know what you think :)
By Blue Haze Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:40 pm
Pilotwings wrote:Yes there is a page on Akai's website showing the new MPC5000.

http://www.akaipro.com/prodMPC5000.php

Looks like a few nice features, but still appears to be only a drum/phrase sampler (not full-blown like the MPC4000) - maybe they could've called it the new MPC3900...

Let me know what you think :)

Like you said it seems like the a MPC 3500 but the video was nice I will get one by selling my MPC 3k but I will keep my 4k.

Let the rush out the door begin. :D :D :D :D

By monogee Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:45 pm
Looks alittle rugged, but I might have to cop it.

By kvmoore Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm
The addition of a VA synth and the extra Q-link controls looks nice. However, they did severely cut down the power of the sampler compared to the 4000. Only 4 banks of 16 pads as opposed to the 6 banks of pads on the 4000. And the memory on the 5000 is only upgradable to 192MB vs the 512MB on the 4000. So yeah, I still think the 4000 will remain the true MPC flagship until they release another MPC with a full sampler which appears very unlikely from what I see here. Maybe they'll do it in the MPC6000. I wonder if the MPC5000 has 96K converters like the MPC4000. One thing I really like about the MPC5000 is the fact they've gone back to the older design of the cursor keys and data wheel. The MPC4000 to me has a very flimsy cursor/data wheel design. I tend to have problems with my top cursor button as it sometimes stop responding. That's why I have an external USB keyboard connected. Oh yeah, I wonder if that's available on the 5000, as well as a USB host port. I bet it isn't. Akaisys neither. Hahaha.

Although the MPC5000 isn't quite as good as the MPC4000 spec wise, I'd still cop one if something tradgic were to happen to my 4000 (like if gets destroyed) and I happen to be able to want/afford a brand new MPC.
Last edited by kvmoore on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By feline1 Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:51 pm
what a bunch of b@statrds!

Yeah, they've upgraded some things, but the fundamental most important bit (the sampler engine) is still crap compared to the Z8.
What are they thinking?
It's like they got a lawnmower and suck leather seats on top and gave it some fancy headlights...

By saintjoe Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:54 pm
yeah, I was expecting a 4k replacement, I think it's safe to say they are officially back to the drum/phrase machines, no full sampler, such a small amount of ram? the synth is cool, but, I've got a synth lol, i'm sure it's nice but not that much of an upgrade for us 4k users, maybe now they'll release the 4k code since we see they are not going in that direction at all!!

By kvmoore Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:55 pm
+1 on that. I totally agree.

By Sovereign Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:01 pm
Always said a 4k replacement based on the 2500 would be a waste.
It should just be the 2500mkII or 2500xl. :roll:
But what's really crazy is the MSRP. :shock:
Yet people are saying they are impressed with it. :lol:

The only real thing is if you are missing any upgrades to your 4k get em while you can, before they become as elusive as the ASR-10 SCSI or MV8000 VGA.

By saintjoe Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:06 pm
yeah, I need to get my upgrades lol, I need the 8 outs and the digital I/O stuff, man, I was thinking I was gonna be sick with the new 4k replacement, lol, this is just a souped up 2500, the "the most advanced mpc ever" and this is the new flagship, so a full on sampler in the mpc is never gonna happen again by the looks of it, the va synth is cool but man,.....

i'm sure these will sell though

By Blue Haze Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:18 pm
Can you say Numark in the House, newbies foaming at mouth, baby cmon, baby cmon spend that cash do it, do it, do it.

Funny kit with a crazy price yeah but as a little side kit when some new jack sells it after two to three weeks of hair pulling who knows. ha, ha, ha MPC5000 it really isn`t more of a 3500 based on the Alessis fusion engine.

Those in the know understand the difference in capability of the 4k and this piece but the some on here newcomers and and the 2500, 1000, and 500 crowd will be all over it.

The old Akai is no more. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By MalcOverflow Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:23 pm
Wow looks like a winner

By foge1 Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:27 pm
If the qlink control parameters effectively that could be enough for me to switch. I hate menus if the controls remove 50% menus then I am gone!

geoff

By Sovereign Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:29 pm
foge1 wrote:If the qlink control parameters effectively that could be enough for me to switch. I hate menus if the controls remove 50% menus then I am gone!

geoff

geoff, have you ever used a 2500 without the JJ OS?
If so you kinda know what to expect.

By foge1 Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:30 pm
damn that synth sounds awful on the video!

By OJ Reem Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:54 pm
With actual hard disk recording, you really don't need more RAM.