MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By McSmooth Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:03 am
The manual too with specs... Time to start the real discussions!

-16, 44k... no surprise (they would have claimed 24 bit earlier if it did it).
-No ADAT in, smtpe or wordclock. That could make syncing a pain for some setups (recorders would have to rely on the MPC's clock, if it is able to sync at all).
-Whats up with the giant screen and such a low resolution? There's more data on the main page, but its pretty boring. They could make it look a lot nicer (maybe in an OS update). The 4k screen shames it.
-Grid edit is better compared to the smaller MPC screens. No sign of graphing for MIDI CCs.
-Pads can send/record aftertouch - Nice, the 4k only does poly aftertouch.
-Track mixer? Has this been done before? You've always been able to adjust the levels, but there was never a mixer screen. Kind of cool, but you can only control volume, pan and mute.
-100,000 note sequencer? With all that control, its sad that it still less than notes than the 2000xl.
-960ppq, nice.

DISK RECORDING
-Disk recording is a nice added feature. Obviously can only record 2 tracks at once, so it doesn't really replace a real multi-track recorder.
-You can perform edits/fx on the 8 audio tracks as well as imports and exports of wav files.
-You can perform mixdowns on the audio tracks.
-controllable via the q-links (and can record automation).

SAMPLER
-Nice envelopes! Delay, attack, decay, sustain level, sustain decay, release.
-Velocity is hard wired to several amp and filter env settings.
-Several filter modes to choose from, up to 8 poles. Some sound interesting, but we'll have to hear them. Not quite like the Z filter selection, and no triple filter.
-only 1 LFO hardwired to pitch, level, pan and filter (all at the same time).

SYNTH
-3 oscs: sine, sawTri, pulse, noise, PWM. semi/tune adjust for each.
-Xmod, sync and Ring mod on osc1/osc2
-Filter from the sampler
-2 ASDR evnelopes
-2 LFOs
-glide, pitchbend, modwheel and aftertouch assignment

-arpegiator. Should have been added a long time ago!
-lots of FX to choose from. Looks like some sync to beat.

The multitrack recording and synth engine are really its main points. They look like they have the features to work as expected, but will not hold up to stand alone counterparts. I doubt the synth will compare to a decent VA, but I bet people will get some cool and usable sounds out of it. I still believe that these features do not really put it above the MV in terms of features, especially at its price. It also falls short of the 4k in many ways. The 4k is better for someone who wants a true sampler and to incorporate into a complex studio whereas the 5k would be better who wants a lot more in one box (and perfers Akai's sequencing and workflow to Roland's despite the price difference).

By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:13 am
But what I see...

- It supports wav, aiff, and snd (Akai MPC 3000,2000_files)
- Can record straight to hard disk in song mode
- Burn Redbook CDs
- Sequencer: ¼ to 1/64 triplets..can even apply MPC swing to triplets
- New strength function added to swing
- Undo/redo function while sequence is playing
- 64 continuous sample tracks/8 tracks hard disk recording
- Piano roll editor
- Export 24-bit hard disk tracks
- Can sample 48 kHz files from SPDIF
- Amplitude envelopes: ADSR
- Dedicated processor for Fx's (36 I counted) w/ CPU monitor
- Buss or insert FXs which are routable to individual outputs
- FXs buss's can be chained together
- Can be used a multi-timbral sound module (up to 32 parts)
- Mixdown 16 or 24 bit wav files
- Simult: one pad can trigger up to 4 additional pads
- 11 filter types
- On-board subtractive synth
- Can save in MPC 2500/1000 format
- Numerous Q-link sliders/knobs for real-time control
- Send MIDI CC with Q-link sliders/knobs

Now I suspect that by the time it is released or in a future OS update, that it will have keygroup programming like what is coming in the JJ OS2. I also suspect that JJ is back with Akai or they are just adding the same features he is adding.
Can save in MPC 1000/2500
Last edited by OJ Reem on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

By renegadebliss Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:02 am
OJ Reem wrote:But what I see...

- It supports wav, aiff, and snd (Akai MPC 3000,2000_files)

I don't need it, but port to the 4000

OJ Reem wrote:- Can record straight to hard disk in song modeV

That's cool, of course, I can do 64 Tracks in RAM with 512M of RAM for my 4000,
which seems to do the trick.

But they should port that to the 4000

OJ Reem wrote:- Burn Redbook CDs

I can already do that on my computer, of course its something that w as requested for the 4000, but Akai ignored that request and added it to the later MPC's instead. It would be great if they would port that to the 4000, now that they've shown they are competant to do that now.

OJ Reem wrote:- Sequencer: ¼ to 1/64 triplets..can even apply MPC swing to triplets

My 4000 goes up to 1/64th triplets as well, though can't do swing on triplets, but that's not really something that I need, but great let's see it ported to the 4000

OJ Reem wrote:- New strength function added to swing

that's nice, would love to see it get ported to the other MPC's series, 4000, 2500,1000, 500... let's see it!

OJ Reem wrote:- Undo/redo function while sequence is playing

That's nice for live use... let's see it ported to the 4000.

OJ Reem wrote:- 64 continuous sample tracks/8 tracks hard disk recording

That's nice, let's see it ported to the 4000, now that they've finally shown they can
implement this. It was orginally featured on the 4000 specs that it could do this with 2 tracks, but Akai never kept up with their promise.

OJ Reem wrote:- Piano roll editor

Got it on the 4000, with a nicer screen

OJ Reem wrote:- Export 24-bit hard disk tracksr

Got it on the 4000 in RAM at 96khz/24bit, but would love to see you port hard disk recording to the 4000!

OJ Reem wrote:- Can sample 48 kHz files from SPDIF

Have no need for it myself...

OJ Reem wrote:- ADSR

Actually not sure if you know or not, but I have 3 of them on my 4000.
and 2 of them are ADDSSR's.
And I also have a thing called the Program Modulation Matrix that allows
me to route all 3 of my Envelopes to a variety of sources. Where's that at?
Where's the Program Modulation Matrix for all the other options?

OJ Reem wrote:- Route Fx’s to individual outputs

I can already do that on the 4000 :)

OJ Reem wrote:- Can be used a multi-timbral sound module

If you saw my Studio, you'd understand why this is not needed by me. Despite what the
Akai literature says, a Virtual Analog is NOT a replacement for a real Analog synth. They are 2 totally different beasts. Also, where the Modulation Matrix for the synth?

OJ Reem wrote:- Mixdown 16 or 24 bit wav files

Got it up to 96khz on the 4000 :)

Other thing they need to port to the 4000, is the 5000's Mute Group capability's. That was originally a 4000's Feature Request that was not fulfilled.... and put on the 5000 instead.

Cheers,
Dave

By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:15 am
Sounds like you are passionate about your MPC 4000. I wonder if all the other MPC 4000 users will be visiting this forum dissing MPC 5000 users. I can see it now :lol:

By renegadebliss Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:20 am
OJ Reem wrote:Sounds like you are passionate about your MPC 4000. I wonder if all the other MPC 4000 users will be visiting this forum dissing MPC 5000 users. I can see it now :lol:

Where's the Diss.. i wasn't dissing, just discussing...

though you could say the real dis was from Akai to the 4000 users ;)

And to be honest, Akai really dissed the 5000 users by not giving them the
product that they could and should have...

Cheers,
Dave

By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:33 am
renegadebliss wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:Sounds like you are passionate about your MPC 4000. I wonder if all the other MPC 4000 users will be visiting this forum dissing MPC 5000 users. I can see it now :lol:

Cheers,
Dave

How are they dissing people that haven't even purchased an MPC 5000? I use an MPC 2500 and love it. I wouldn't go anywhere near an MPC 4000. This MPC 5000 is a major upgrade to my MPC. It has all of the features of the 2500, most of the features of all previous MPCs, and more. All of this for $2500 :shock:

By TheFirstJimBo Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:49 am
right into his debate trap

By Kalei Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:22 am
2500$? try 3500$ and less features than the 4K.

By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:31 am
Kalei wrote:2500$? try 3500$ and less features than the 4K.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPC5000/
Try $3500 list price...$2500 sale price with features no MPC has ever had before....most features found in older MPCs..and more features to come.

The initial OS of the MPC 1000, 2500, and 4000 has much less features than their current operating systems.

By DrFunk7777 Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:52 am
$2500.

OK, now,
I gotta have it.
no question.

By master-ceo Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 am
renegadebliss wrote:

Cheers,
Dave

Plus if Akaia made Promises to Update and Implement certain user requested functions in the 4000 OS, Why didn't they keep their word?

This should be a lesson to all the new 5000/3500 owners that Akai are BS artists and mislead thier customers. Especially the loyal ones like you guys.

I like that they come out with new toys for us, but they are a backwards assed company and need to support thier users with Timely updates and the updates they promised. They need to keep thier word.

This is why I can't trust them with 2.5k. I will still buy Akai, but only software based stuff like the mpd in the future. Only because the got the PADz I like.

By dabmeister Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:18 pm
master-ceo wrote:If Akai made Promises to Update and Implement certain user requested functions in the 4000 OS, Why didn't they keep their word?
'cause they know it's the loyalty to their namesake regardless of what they do.

By McSmooth Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:39 pm
OJ Reem wrote:Now I suspect that by the time it is released or in a future OS update, that it will have keygroup programming like what is coming in the JJ OS2. I also suspect that JJ is back with Akai or they are just adding the same features he is adding.

I would be shocked if the 5000 gets keygroups. They want to keep it simple and keygroups confuse the typical chop-up-loops user. Hopefully they do, that would make it a much better machine, but it looks like they already missed out on some core features that are limited to hardware, so its never going to impress the 4000 power users.

I'd like to see how JJ incorporates it, thats quite a task and would be impressive. Akai is not going to hire someone they fired, stole their code and then made money off it illegally. They can hire any other programmer to steal the ideas back if they really want to put it in there.

The 5000 is not for anyone who owns and knows how to use a 4000. It is simply an upgrade path for 2500 users who's sampling requirements do not go beyond phrase sampling (which does account for most MPC users).

By MPC 4 ME Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:59 pm
So they added 1 cycling feature but they left out the modulation matrix? Thats weird to say at least :? That's a 100% no-go for me, actually..