MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:12 pm
McSmooth wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:Now I suspect that by the time it is released or in a future OS update, that it will have keygroup programming like what is coming in the JJ OS2. I also suspect that JJ is back with Akai or they are just adding the same features he is adding.

I would be shocked if the 5000 gets keygroups. They want to keep it simple and keygroups confuse the typical chop-up-loops user. Hopefully they do, that would make it a much better machine, but it looks like they already missed out on some core features that are limited to hardware, so its never going to impress the 4000 power users.

I'd like to see how JJ incorporates it, thats quite a task and would be impressive. Akai is not going to hire someone they fired, stole their code and then made money off it illegally. They can hire any other programmer to steal the ideas back if they really want to put it in there.

The 5000 is not for anyone who owns and knows how to use a 4000. It is simply an upgrade path for 2500 users who's sampling requirements do not go beyond phrase sampling (which does account for most MPC users).

The MPC 5000 is for anyone wanting an updated MPC. Adding keygroups the way the MPC 4000 does it may confuse the typical person..but they way I suspect that they are going to implement it is a different story. It will most likely be done like the JJ OS. JJ has already added it to the MPC 1000. The 2500 is next. The MPC 5000 will get it soon enough.

By McSmooth Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:06 am
It's funny how so many people defending MPCs after the 4k keep boasting features that the JJ OS does to try to bring that model closer to what the 4k already did years before despite the fact that Akai themselves didn't implement the feature. You can keep wishing that they will hire JJ back, but what you are really wishing for is that they tell the new programmers to put back in their original ideas. The whole JJ OS thing is so mysterious to this board, it has them thinking it's a magic gnome. I guess that will finally pass when the 1000 and 2500 get discontinued and they realize he doesn't have the code for other machines. Sadly, this board will continue to open new threads on a regular basis asking for new MPC JJ OSes for years later.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:37 am
McSmooth wrote:It's funny how so many people defending MPCs after the 4k keep boasting features that the JJ OS does to try to bring that model closer to what the 4k already did years before despite the fact that Akai themselves didn't implement the feature. You can keep wishing that they will hire JJ back, but what you are really wishing for is that they tell the new programmers to put back in their original ideas. The whole JJ OS thing is so mysterious to this board, it has them thinking it's a magic gnome. I guess that will finally pass when the 1000 and 2500 get discontinued and they realize he doesn't have the code for other machines. Sadly, this board will continue to open new threads on a regular basis asking for new MPC JJ OSes for years later.

Akai is a company and not an individual. I don't care what present or past employee of theirs program future operating systems as long as they support new products. The MPC 2500 is going on 3 years and the 1000 almost 5 years. I don't expect Akai to put any more money into developing these products further. They are fine the way they are. The MPC 5000 will be fine the way it is as advertised. However, since Akai programmers usually add additional features to MPCs after they are released, I am hoping for a good 1-2 years full of updates until another MPC drops. Once this MPC 5000 is in my hands, I will not give a second thought about my 2500 and 1000. Maybe if I load them with MPC 5000 sounds it will make them sell faster.

By scd Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:49 am
Why is there a constant comparison going on with the mpc 4000?

The mpc 5000 being the new flagship doesn't have to mean that it should be better, more and also the same as the 4000? I don't understand that.

I own the 4000 and would like to see bugfixing as bad as anyone here, and I am still confident that that will happen actually. Also don't forget this Akai is not the Akai that released the mpc 4000.
But untill that happens the 4k does what it should do for me, and for all the owners, otherwise they would sell it right?

To me, this mpc 5000 looks like a very fine machine actually. And being not on the market yet, I find it quite negative to assume it will be buggy.