MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:29 pm
deck daddy wrote:Owning and loving my 3000, I'm glad this stupid thing's name is not 3500.

It should really be called 2500XL, because that's what it is. Or just PC2500XL (Plastic Computer 2500XL)

BTW: Its crazy that some of the things that was standard already on the 3000 still is called "new features".

Such as what features?

Also, last time I checked, ALL MPCs were mostly made of metal with the exception of the LCD screen and side panels which are hard plastic.

By renegadebliss Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:33 pm
OJ Reem wrote:
master-ceo wrote:OWNED

flowers YOU WAKIA :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The initial operating systems of the 1000/2500 performed the say way. It was changed in an OS update.

Looking at the MPC 5000 closer, the top front of the unit reminds me of the 3000 a little in pictures.

Is that why in the Manual, on the pics of the 5000, the first "Rollover" of the graphic says "3500" and then another layer/rollover comes and changes it to the 5000.. We all know that the 5000 is the 3500, but for marketing reasons, it was changed. You guys do have to sell your shxt...

Dave

By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:08 pm
Don't really care what they call them MPC. I only care about what it has to offer. If they called it the MPC 3500, so what? They could have called the MPC 2500 that if they wanted since it does much more than a 3000. So it is being called the MPC 5000 the most powerful MPC to date. Being that that have committed tons of resources into this unit (which is obvious since they haven't added any official OS updates to their other products)..my bet is that they will work to make it stand up to their claim. I guess I am the only one that gets warm fuzzies when I read that their new OS will add user feature requests. They have JJ leading the charge with everyone beta testing the other operating systems so they can implement them in the MPC 5000 which is obviously based upon these other samplers.

My other guess is that its mostly MPC 4000 users that are upset right about now. Both the MPC 1000 and the 2500 are about to get monster upgrades via the JJ OS or the new MPC 5000. While the MPC 4000 users are still upset about a machine that was released 6 years ago.

By adrian Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:15 pm
OJ Reem wrote:
deck daddy wrote:Owning and loving my 3000, I'm glad this stupid thing's name is not 3500.

It should really be called 2500XL, because that's what it is. Or just PC2500XL (Plastic Computer 2500XL)

BTW: Its crazy that some of the things that was standard already on the 3000 still is called "new features".

Such as what features?

Also, last time I checked, ALL MPCs were mostly made of metal with the exception of the LCD screen and side panels which are hard plastic.

In the video by AKAI they mention that you can now cycle through the samples on one pad. About 1min and 30 seconds onto the video. :?: That can be done pretty much be done with by giving each sample it's own velocity layer in a zone.

By deck daddy Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:23 pm
OJ Reem wrote:
deck daddy wrote:It should really be called 2500XL, because that's what it is. Or just PC2500XL (Plastic Computer 2500XL)

Such as what features?

I know it's not made of plastic, but it looks like it. And I think the buttons, and especially the data wheel on the 2500 feels like cheap plastic. I guess the feel of the 5000 is much like the 2500.

By features I meant things like slizing stereo samples, and stuff like that. On the 1000 they made it so that if you auto chop a sample it converts the sample into mono samples. Stupid stuff like that. Even on the 3000 and 2000 you could do a lot of the things with the samples that the 5000 can, but the 1000, 5000 and 2500 could'nt do. And now all theese things are "news" to MPC-users, but only to the newest users.

I tried the 2500 to make some beats with my friend, and I got really mad about the STUPID things that happened to the envelopes on the drum samples when we layered them. Things like that on a 10 year newer machine is stupid. Any new machine should be ANYTHING the previous machines was, AND better. Not cheap imitators. But stupid kids believe that the newest stuff allways is the best, and Akai has really made some money on that. Pete rock posing with a 1000... Haha! The 1000 sucks compared to the 2000XL I believe he still use.

It's good to see the professional functions, and features like more MIDI ins/outs, 8 outs as a standard + more coming back again to the MPCs.

The first MPC were truly professional gear, and had good quality. A lot of the newer MPC's have not been professional, but cheap toys that has had a lot of bugs and wear problems even after a short time.

The 5000 looks like a bit more serious machine tho, and it looks more like the good old ones.

But I think the 4000 was a bigger suprise in the MPC-line (it's starting to get old that one too!) than the 2500.

By dtaa pla muk Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:35 pm
hahahahahaha that settles it
the device's name is officially mpc3500

this is the funniest sht i've seen in a looong time

By distortedtekno Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:44 pm
Akai went and corrected that typo in the manual for the USB connection. I just checked it out now. If anyone's got the first manual with that typo, please upload it.

By master-ceo Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 am
distortedtekno wrote:Akai went and corrected that typo in the manual for the USB connection. I just checked it out now. If anyone's got the first manual with that typo, please upload it.

Here you go FAM.
I knew they was gone do that. Thats why I made sure and saved it. Frickin BUMZ. :lol: :twisted:

MPC 3500/5000 Refrence Manual
http://www.zshare.net/download/6687628e48f3db/

By mege Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:23 am
You wouldn't happen to have the MPC comparison chart with the MPC4000 in it, would you?

By distortedtekno Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:29 am
master-ceo wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:Akai went and corrected that typo in the manual for the USB connection. I just checked it out now. If anyone's got the first manual with that typo, please upload it.

Here you go FAM.
I knew they was gone do that. Thats why I made sure and saved it. Frickin BUMZ. :lol: :twisted:

MPC 3500/5000 Refrence Manual
http://www.zshare.net/download/6687628e48f3db/

thanks bro. they didn't waste any time correcting that typo.... especially considering it's the weekend.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:34 am
deck daddy wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:
deck daddy wrote:It should really be called 2500XL, because that's what it is. Or just PC2500XL (Plastic Computer 2500XL)

Such as what features?

I know it's not made of plastic, but it looks like it. And I think the buttons, and especially the data wheel on the 2500 feels like cheap plastic. I guess the feel of the 5000 is much like the 2500.

By features I meant things like slizing stereo samples, and stuff like that. On the 1000 they made it so that if you auto chop a sample it converts the sample into mono samples. Stupid stuff like that. Even on the 3000 and 2000 you could do a lot of the things with the samples that the 5000 can, but the 1000, 5000 and 2500 could'nt do. And now all theese things are "news" to MPC-users, but only to the newest users.

I tried the 2500 to make some beats with my friend, and I got really mad about the STUPID things that happened to the envelopes on the drum samples when we layered them. Things like that on a 10 year newer machine is stupid. Any new machine should be ANYTHING the previous machines was, AND better. Not cheap imitators. But stupid kids believe that the newest stuff allways is the best, and Akai has really made some money on that. Pete rock posing with a 1000... Haha! The 1000 sucks compared to the 2000XL I believe he still use.

It's good to see the professional functions, and features like more MIDI ins/outs, 8 outs as a standard + more coming back again to the MPCs.

The first MPC were truly professional gear, and had good quality. A lot of the newer MPC's have not been professional, but cheap toys that has had a lot of bugs and wear problems even after a short time.

The 5000 looks like a bit more serious machine tho, and it looks more like the good old ones.

But I think the 4000 was a bigger suprise in the MPC-line (it's starting to get old that one too!) than the 2500.

The buttons on the newer MPCs are just like the buttons on older MPCs. I think everyone would agree that the MPC 2000 has the best data wheel but we do just fine with what we have. I never had any problems with the buttons or data wheel on any MPC that I have owned (unless I purchased it used).

Auto slicing of samples is a feature of the newer MPCs and were not possible with older ones. So even though auto chopped was done initially in mono, that is no longer the case. We are way passed that limitation. You were not specific about what sample editing features that were in the MPC 3000 and 2000 that are not in the newer models. Being familar with the MPC 3000 and 2000, I know exactly what was gained by using the MPC 2500/1000. What ever was left out of the other machines were made up for 10x over with the newer models. I would never go back to an MPC 2000 or even a 3000 regardless of how it was built. The 2000s LCD screen burns out and the MPC 3000s don't last very long. While they are both legendary MPCs that gets the jobs done, it is more fun using the features in the newer models. The MPC 5000 does have features no MPC has ever had and detailed in other threads.

As far as your luck with the MPC 2500, I for one am very happy with it and have no issues with it besides the fact that it isn't an MPC 5000. Yes, as you can tell I am excited about the new product. Its too bad more people don't share my excitement here. But watch what happens when it hits GC. As an MPC 2500 user, it would be silly for me not to jump on this new beast. The MPC 4000 was a bigger suprise because before that, we only had a 32MB MPC 2000XL. That was a huge jump. Now that we've seen a full size sampler in an MPC, it is hard to impress some. But this new model? If people are not impressed, they can simply ignore it while we Akai whore's bang on these new MPC. I just want to go to sleep now to awake a few months later with the MPC 5000 delivered on my door step.......

Back to the other MPC 5000 threads.....

PS...since Akai let the cat out the bag...I guess we can start talking about the new MPC 3500 designed by Roger Linn. It will be a special/limited edition MPC which has practically the same hardware as the original (plus a few improvements) but with a completely updated flash based operating system.

By 713_HOU_TX Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:55 am
So the 3500 is a Roger Linn special with the more updated features of the more digital world?

By Blue Haze Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:56 am
adrian wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:

Such as what features?

In the video by AKAI they mention that you can now cycle through the samples on one pad. About 1min and 30 seconds onto the video. :?: That can be done pretty much be done with by giving each sample it's own velocity layer in a zone.

And you can use zone select as destination along with ex or cont as the source set to real time.